XF Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been getting vibrations in my car at motorway speeds. It is not constant, it comes and goes. It seems to appear when going uphill, down hill and on some longer sharper bends on the motorway. I've also noticed the car feels a little rough at idle and there is some resonance at 1500 rpm when stationary. In the last week, I've also noticed that sometimes when rolling up to a give way point and then accelerating off (roundabout for example) I get a thud as the gear engages. Could all this be related to engine and transmission mounts or do I also need to consider other things?

Ps wheel alignment and balancing has already been done.

Thanks in advance,
Dean

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Some Jaguar prop shafts have been known to vibrate. They are carbon fibre and use the universal joint nuts to assist in correcting balance issues. My 09 XF had the "black nuts" fitted and a low level vibration cured. My 02 X Type had a whole new prop shaft to cure this issue.

Your insight that it might be a transmission mount is also worth investigating.

The 6 spd ZF transmission does occasionally give a mild thump under conditions similar to your description and that is "normal". My 8 spd no longer exhibits this, yay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I've been getting vibrations in my car at motorway speeds. It is not constant, it comes and goes. It seems to appear when going uphill, down hill and on some longer sharper bends on the motorway. I've also noticed the car feels a little rough at idle and there is some resonance at 1500 rpm when stationary. In the last week, I've also noticed that sometimes when rolling up to a give way point and then accelerating off (roundabout for example) I get a thud as the gear engages. Could all this be related to engine and transmission mounts or do I also need to consider other things?

Ps wheel alignment and balancing has already been done.

Thanks in advance,
Dean
Exactly the same issue on mine.
Did you find out the issue?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts