XF Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Service & M/T,

Had avibration for some time from behind the dashboard - it gets louder if you open the glovebox - which starts at just 1400rpm even with the acr stationary.

When I posted on this subject months ago I got one response from a guy in Netherlands who reckoned to have had a similar noise which turned out to be the pedestrian impact system control cable(s) vibrating behind the dash.

Have you had any similar complaints at your dealerships and if so do you know the cause. It really spoils the quiet calm driving experience.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Andrew, when you say a vibration I have a very quite vibration/rattle that I notice when the radio is off at what seems to be neutral throttle. It’s not particularly loud but annoying when I start to notice it. And it would seem to be coming from around the dash.
At first I though it was a pen or an item in the storage pockets vibrating but removing those made no difference.
Is that the sort of thing you have?
I was going to mention it to the dealer when it was in for service.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Andrew
the only car which we had which vibrated did so under driving on uneven surface especally over cats eyes etc,so not sure it is the same noise or will be cured in the same way.The noise when we road tested it came from around where the centre speaker for the B+W sound system would have been.We had to remove the whole dash as it comes out in one piece (very heavy) and we padded and checked the routing of the wiring loom as it runs in channels along the back of the dash and also had a fixing point for the loom that was not in correctly.Refitted the dash and noise was not present but still unsure excatly which bit of the loom caused it.So unless it can be traced to a point which means you have to then understand if dealer reluctant to remove dash as sometimes can create more problems than you cure.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

When I was at the Dealers a couple of weeks ago I discussed this problem with the Service Manager who has a similar, but intermittent, noise in his XF. We have decided it is more of a buzzing noise than a vibration and it is from within the cabin somewhere behind the glove box. He undertook to dicuss with Jaguar and get back to me.

Got a call this morning and Jaguar (factory) are going to send a couple of technicians along to my dealer to strip out the dash and locate the source of the noise. Car due in March 3rd and they want it for 3 days so I'll update you again in due course.

Doesnt sound as if this is a common fault as I dont recall anyone else posting on the subject apart from RClifford so I am pretty impressed that Jaguar are taking it seriously. I just hope it doesnt create more problems than it solves - dash out sounds a tricky operation after Jag M/T described it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update. My car went in this morning and will be with the dealer for 3 days while they strip out the dash to try to find the source of the problem.
Happily I was able to reproduce the vibration/buzzing while stationary in the car park at 1300/1400rpm so at least they know I am not going crazy !!

I have a 2.7Luxury XF loaner and it really is much quieter than mine and has 8500 miles on the clock compared to my 3000.

I have also developed a hollow rumble from the rear which I reckon could be suspension/shock mounting/drive shaft joint that they will look at.

Will let you know what happens when I get it back Weds/thursday.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had the same issue and took my car in for a service last week, on collecting I was informed they knew what it was and have ordered a part to replace it. I'm waiting for them to call me back in for the fix.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rclifford said:
I had the same issue and took my car in for a service last week, on collecting I was informed they knew what it was and have ordered a part to replace it. I'm waiting for them to call me back in for the fix.
But which issue, the vibration or the hollow rumble at the rear?

Garage have phoned to say they have found an A/C pipe that was incorrectly positioned and was vibrating against the chassis which should solve the problem now it is repositioned. Still checking the rear end issue

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final Update !!

Just got the car back and the vibration/buzzing was being caused by an air conditioning (solid) pipe that runs through the passenger side wheel well and was just touching a bracket that has now been repositioned solving the problem.
Jaguar Engineering (just up the road) came down and took photos so I guess this might make it into a Tech. Bulletin at some stage.

Delaer also updated the emgine management system after I complained the loan car was much better than mine with the result that throttle response seems much better - too early to tell if it's had the opposit effect on fuel consumption.

Overall one very satisfied customer and well done (again) to my dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts