XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all

As a newbie to this forum and the world of Jaguar I've got a question to ask you seasoned professionals so here goes

I'm interested in buying a 2016 XF S V6 300PS diesel but would love to know what you guys think about them in general and whether they are likely to give me a life of joy or a life of hell, basically are they reliable or a money pit?

The car in question has a mileage of 58k so has obviously been used a bit in 4 years

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment

Cheers scriv

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
Good evening all

As a newbie to this forum and the world of Jaguar I've got a question to ask you seasoned professionals so here goes

I'm interested in buying a 2016 XF S V6 300PS diesel but would love to know what you guys think about them in general and whether they are likely to give me a life of joy or a life of hell, basically are they reliable or a money pit?

The car in question has a mileage of 58k so has obviously been used a bit in 4 years

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment

Cheers scriv
Good luck buying an old diesel with so many cities planning to ban them.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Unfortunately, the Jaguar brand has declined over the last ten years or so. This group started, when the Jaguar XF was launched in 2008, and many of us had the first generation XF from 2008-15. Back then the XF was a great car. It did well compared to the competition, and it scored on top in the owner satisfaction surveys. Since then, Jaguar has had a hard time keeping up with the competition, the build quality of the cars have become rather bad. They have a lot of quality issues, and the user satisfaction is among the lowest of all car brands.

Having said that, your car was still a fine car back then, which is what you have to judge the car by. The owners have always loved the V6 diesel, but it is an older engine, so the consumption is perhaps somewhat high. But the feel of the engine is great. It's strong and silent and was one of the best engines, when it came out.

Due to the declining quality of Jaguar's, a lot of members have bought other cars and have left this forum. These days we mostly discuss the business of Jaguar Land Rover and whether they'll be able to survive against the competition, which constantly makes new, better and even cheaper cars.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi scriv. Generally speaking owning a Jag should be no more of a concern than any other brand and like any car purchase, if you stick to the basics of overall condition and full service history, the process should be painless. The XF I owned from new for nearly 8 years was the best car I've owned, but I didn't try to own it on a shoestring. Every service was carried out (at a Jag dealer) when it was due and all service recommendations were followed.
Don't expect the car to be cheap to maintain, after all they are an aspirational brand, although having said that, I always found the costs to be reasonable. So in essence, go into it with your eyes open and check the servicing costs, cost of tyres, batteries, etc, etc before-hand, that way you won't be in for any shocks and you may actually get a few surprises.
Many folk (including some on these forums) will tell you horror stories, but I can only repeat that my car was wonderful to own and even better to drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi scriv. Generally speaking owning a Jag should be no more of a concern than any other brand and like any car purchase, if you stick to the basics of overall condition and full service history, the process should be painless. The XF I owned from new for nearly 8 years was the best car I've owned, but I didn't try to own it on a shoestring. Every service was carried out (at a Jag dealer) when it was due and all service recommendations were followed.
Don't expect the car to be cheap to maintain, after all they are an aspirational brand, although having said that, I always found the costs to be reasonable. So in essence, go into it with your eyes open and check the servicing costs, cost of tyres, batteries, etc, etc before-hand, that way you won't be in for any shocks and you may actually get a few surprises.
Many folk (including some on these forums) will tell you horror stories, but I can only repeat that my car was wonderful to own and even better to drive.
Hi Dr Mobius

Thanks for the objective and sensible reply, out of interest what model do you have?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The owners have always loved the V6 diesel, but it is an older engine, so the consumption is perhaps somewhat high. But the feel of the engine is great. It's strong and silent and was one of the best engines, when it came out...
I don't quite agree the fuel consumption is high, I have the 3.0 litre twin turbo V6 XF 2012 and the fuel consumption is fantastic compare to my other 4 cars, one being a 2.0 litre petrol Lancer I bought new as a runaround car for my GF in 2013. I regularly see fuel consumption on my XF is 4.9 to 5.0 Litres per 100km (I live in Australia) whereas the best I see on the Lancer is 7.5 Litres per 100km.

As for reliability, the only issue I had was an earth short on the in tank fuel pump (fitted from factory), which I replaced the complete pump and replaced the connector lead modified to ensure it would retain excellent contact at all times no matter the vibration. Once that was done, I have not had any other issues at all and love the car. Mine is a 2012 Post Facelift 3.0L Diesel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts