XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, for any of you out there that plug in a memory stick to play music, how do you copy your music from itunes onto the memory stick? I have an ipod, but I don't want to remember to keep bringing it back and forth from the car to the house, I'd rather just keep a memory stick plugged in with all of my music on it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,

I would have assumed that it would read the USB stick like a hard drive....so you should be able to copy over a folder structure from your PC using click and drag (so no Itunes reqd). Then once its plugged in you can traverse the folder structure through the touchscreen.

So if you have itunes manage all your songs, then if you right click on a song and click Get Info, it will tell you the folder path that the song is stored in. Then if you look at that folder path on your pc you can copy over the structure to your USB presuming that they are all stored as MP3 and not AAC.

Of course I've never done it but it might be worth a shot.

Thnx,
Shapps

·
Registered
121 Posts
If your songs where downloaded from Itunes before the beginning of this year they will have DRM which will prevent the copying/playing of them on other devices Richard

·
Registered
72 Posts
I keep all my music (500GB!) as extremely high quality FLAC files (lossless, exceptional quality). hen I want to make music for the car, iphone or whatever, I convert (using MediaMonkey - superb program once the arcane bits are tamed) to MP3. Then. I have a folder structure like below. Ignore the refs to jpg, that's just the album cover. Tracks are typcially 4MB each, compared to 35MB for the uncompressed version.

X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\01 - Second Hand News.mp3
X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\02 - Dreams.mp3
X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\03 - Never Going Back Again.mp3
X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\04 - Don't Stop.mp3
X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\05 - Go Your Own Way.mp3
X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\06 - Songbird.mp3
X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\07 - The Chain.mp3
X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\08 - You Make Loving Fun.mp3
X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\09 - I Don't Want to Know.mp3
X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\10 - Oh Daddy.mp3
X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\11 - Gold Dust Woman.mp3
X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\AlbumArtSmall.jpg
X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\desktop.ini
X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\Folder.jpg

I then copy everything to a newly formatted USB stick (say, 4GB), but like this:

Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\01 - Second Hand News.mp3
Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\02 - Dreams.mp3
Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\03 - Never Going Back Again.mp3

Car has no problem handling this. Access is a bit clunky, and no album art, sadly.

So, you need to:

get your music away from iTunes - I think MediaMnkey can do this...
Make small MP3 for car use
Build a useful folder structure
Cpoy all to a freshly formatted (FAT32) USB stick
Plug it in..

Play this and drive like a hooligan!
X:\MP3\Modern\Fleetwood Mac\Rumours\07 - The Chain.mp3

·
Registered
247 Posts
Excellent choice of music!
I played The Chain nice and loud on the way to Silverstone last weekend..Great!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I suspect that song alone is responsible for a significant percentage of carbon emissions and global warming!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it turns out that since I download from Amazon and not Itunes, my music files were all MP3's and not Apple's mp4's. So, they all work beautifully on the memory stick. It's such an awesome feature, now I don't have to worry about leaving my IPOD in the car any longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts