XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the usb and ipod integration fitted to my XF. I love the way that it integrates with the steering wheel and touch screen. I have a slight problem with the fact that not all of the songs listed on the memory stick can be displayed and played.

If I add new songs to the memory stick, then other songs and directories sometimes disappear. I cannot see any pattern that explains what causes this to happen.

The usb memory stick is 16Gb in size and formatted with FAT, I have tried formatting it in FAT32, but this does not seem to make any difference.

Does anyone else experience the same problems, or has answers for me.

Thanks

Jonathan.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use my USB stick all the time (only 4Gb) without any major problems.
The car saves an index file to the USB stick with all the file names etc on it.
I think if you add or delete tracks from the stick it is probably worth deleting the index file at the same time so the car needs to recreate it from scratch. Otherwise it can get confused. Maybe this will help with your problem. Worth a try I think.

Martin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response. I cannot see an index file on the usb memory stick. I have searched for hidden files and system files. Where is the index file stored? What is it called?

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry, I think I'm talking rubbish!
It was the USB interface on my previous car that saved an index file to the stick.
Sorry I can't help with your problem then.

Martin

·
Registered
618 Posts
When are you removing the memory stick? in a PC you have to eject the stick before you can safely remove it and this isnt possible with the car. If you remove it before the audio system has closed down then you may well lose data as the stick is still in use when you break its connection.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I have just bought a 16Gb memory stick, and guess what, it doesn't work in the XF. :cry:
It recognises the flash drive OK, but says it has no playable audio on it even though I've copied the 4Gb of music from the old flash disk. It all shows up fine under Windows of course.

The implication clearly seems to be that 16Gb flash disks don't work in the XF. The manual says storage devices up to 256Gb can be used, but I note it doesn't specifically say USB storage devices.

So the question is, does anybody have a 16Gb flash disk working properly?
And if not, what IS the biggest disk anyone has working?

Please post responses below.....

For the record, my 4Gb disk works fine.

Martin

·
Registered
618 Posts
Martin, what format system are you using? Might be worth trying a different format (FAT32 rather than NTFS) or vice versa

·
Registered
618 Posts
Is it formatted as one drive? a number of the bigger sticks are formatted into two or three "sections". The XF doesnt have the ability to read more than one thing at a time through the USB and without something to tell it which section to use it doesnt recognise it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
craig said:
Is it formatted as one drive?
Yes, it is formatted as one drive.
I'm quite technically competent you know :p

I want to hear from anybody who has tried a USB stick bigger than 4Gb in their XF.
If so, did it work 100% or not? Please reply below.

Martin

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Martin, I have an 8GB stick due to be delivered in the next couple of days so I will load it from my iTunes and report.

John

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The 8GB memory stick arrived yesterday so I loaded it with 7GB of music comprising of 36 Folders taken from my stored iTunes Music. The car's USB selection system works brilliantly.

The files are MPEG audio. Bit Rate 320 kps. Format MPEG-1, Layer 3,

Hope this helps

·
Registered
39 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
The 8GB memory stick arrived yesterday so I loaded it with 7GB of music comprising of 36 Folders taken from my stored iTunes Music. The car's USB selection system works brilliantly.
Thanks, maybe I'll buy an 8Gb stick then.
What make is it out of interest?

Martin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts