XF Forum banner

USB drive capacity

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  craig 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have the singell CD/ USB/Ipod system for my XF. Works well using a 1GB memory stick.

I have a 20GB 2.5 inch (ex laptop) hard drive that with a USB powered enclosure would allow me to have most of my music collection "on tap". Anyone know if there is a limit to the size of USB drive for the system or power delivery from the USB port?

regards,

Rob

#5 ·
Will be interesting to see whether there is enough power to start the drive up. Most head units that have USB will supply about 500mA, which is enough to "run" some hard drives, but they usualy require about 1Amp to start up first.

It may be worth checking by running a circuit tester across pins 1 and 4 of the USB out and see what it dishes out.

Here is a link discussing the use of hard drives with USB compatible head units....

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?p=3520962

May be of help :)

#6 ·
More from the manual (I know it's cheating but I can't help it):

"Note: Devices connected to the iPod and USB ports will be charged, but devices that are fully discharged will not play. Please disconnect your iPod when leaving the vehicle. Failure to do so may result in the iPod battery discharging."

This means that the USB port is powered, in exactly the same way that (some of) the USB ports on your computer are powered. There is a standard for this.
So if your USB drive can run connected to a powered USB port on your PC without needing additional DC input then it will also work in the car.

It is true that some hard drive need more juice than USB can provide but it is easy to check since you don't need to be in your car.

It is also worth noting that newer iPods will power off automatically even if the dock connector is connected, but older ones don't which is why they can drain if connected when the ignition is turned off.

BTW, when connecting a USB drive the car will start playing from the top (first song of first folder) while it will continue playing an iPod where it was.

#7 ·
Yes the ipod dock turns off when the ignition is off and if you have an Gen4 or previous Ipod this can lead to a discharge as it takes 36 hours for it to go to sleep whereas the newer ones do it in 10.

Interesting to note that even with ignition off power is still delivered to the USB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.