XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found an inconsistency on the portable audio USB. Using an 8MB stick which works fine (most of the time)....
Sometimes when I get back in the car having been listening to a track the previous day, it starts where I left off (like listening to a CD), but other times it goes back to the beginning and plays the very first track. Somewhat annoying, but I can't seem to find any consistency. Sometimes it remembers, sometimes it doesn't.

Also, had a situation where I pressed pause playing a track, and then when pressing play again nothing happened and it couldn't read any of the folders....

Tried it with a separate 4Mb USB stick by a different manufactuer with the same results.

Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
618 Posts
What format is the stick using? I have found that FAT32 works fine but NTFS can have the issues you speak of. Since i binned windows PC's and went for a Mac recently though it has never happened again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Memory stick is formated in FAT32 (default for external devices for Windows)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've got the same issue with my iPod using the iPod interface of the XF. It seems that after a long period (a day) it resets its position. Shorter periods it remembers the position where it was when the car was turned off. Nu solution so far...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A further update on this issue. Tried another memory stick (4Gb), formatted FAT32 with a limited amount of songs on it. Enjoying myself listening to Sting then went to the cash point.....4 minutes later the system had forgotten that and it's back to Alison Kraus....

Very annoying.

The next test is to make up a CD with MP3's and see if the CD player remembers where it was. i suspect it will.

·
Registered
618 Posts
mindbrother said:
I've got the same issue with my iPod using the iPod interface of the XF. It seems that after a long period (a day) it resets its position. Shorter periods it remembers the position where it was when the car was turned off. Nu solution so far...
How old is the ipod? anything prior to gen5 do no power down automatically and the car doesnt continue to power when ignition is off as in many other cars. Therefore it goes flat and then goes back to the start

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think it's called iPod Video, bought in 2006. It has a color display and a 30 GB harddrive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
chalky said:
A further update on this issue. Tried another memory stick (4Gb), formatted FAT32 with a limited amount of songs on it. Enjoying myself listening to Sting then went to the cash point.....4 minutes later the system had forgotten that and it's back to Alison Kraus....

Very annoying.

The next test is to make up a CD with MP3's and see if the CD player remembers where it was. i suspect it will.
lucky it had forgotten - you were listening to Sting - I guess your car is your new best friend and is preventing you form listening to such offensive in car music :eek: ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
mindbrother said:
I think it's called iPod Video, bought in 2006. It has a color display and a 30 GB harddrive.
disconnect it from the car and leave it on paused and see how long it takes to go to sleep. If its a new style model it will do this within a few minutes, if its not then it will stay on for 36hours which is usually long enough for it to die and therefore forget where it was and go back to the start.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Okay, will do the test this week.

(I've been out with the family today. We left the car locked on a parking place for more than 4.5 hours. When we came back, the iPod continued playback from the track/position where it was when we arrived over there.)

·
Registered
618 Posts
mindbrother said:
Okay, will do the test this week.

(I've been out with the family today. We left the car locked on a parking place for more than 4.5 hours. When we came back, the iPod continued playback from the track/position where it was when we arrived over there.)
yeah that may not be long enough for it to discharge.

Jaguar could have solved all this by allowing the ipod to trickle charge when the car is not running which is what happens in many other models (and aftermarket kits like dension)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that the situation with the iPod is likely to be unrelated to the USB. The iPod has its own microprocessor and software on board and therefore takes its lead from the iPod itself.

In respect of the USB stick, it is a dumb device and therefore all logic control is done by the in-car system.

When burning my tracks from the USB stick to CD, the CD player has not faulted on remembering where it last was, so I think my issue is confined to the USB stick only.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Had done my test with the iPod. It's true that the XF drains the battery of my iPod. After 1 or 2 days, the iPod shows an empty battery when I check it in the car, attached to the iPod cable, and before starting the engine. When the engine is started, the XF starts playback at the first track of the iPod (alphabettically).

BTW, my iPod died 2 days ago. I found it in the XF not wanting to restart. I checked it with the cable on my computer at home, the iPod is completely dead. The device is 3 years old, it was always in the car (XF and Volvo's before) connected to the car audio by an iPod connection cable.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
mindbrother said:
Had done my test with the iPod. It's true that the XF drains the battery of my iPod. After 1 or 2 days, the iPod shows an empty battery when I check it in the car, attached to the iPod cable, and before starting the engine. When the engine is started, the XF starts playback at the first track of the iPod (alphabettically).

BTW, my iPod died 2 days ago. I found it in the XF not wanting to restart. I checked it with the cable on my computer at home, the iPod is completely dead. The device is 3 years old, it was always in the car (XF and Volvo's before) connected to the car audio by an iPod connection cable.
Would this device be the answer to the problem of iPod not charging :?:
Read more at:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=369&p=3044#p3044

·
Registered
219 Posts
No, I don't think so, Pekem. My iPod has always been (re)charged in my cars via the iPod cable of the cars, previously Volvo and since March 2009 in my XF. But the iPod is completely dead since this week, so I can't charge it in the XF and also not by computer at home (via the USB/iPod cable that I use to charge the iPod and to transfer new music from my computer to the internal iPod harddisk).

·
Registered
219 Posts
How can I recharge from the mains? The iPod only has an interface at the bottom where I can attach an data/charging cable to the computer and the XF interface. And I was always able to charge the iPod via those 2 connections.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
mindbrother said:
How can I recharge from the mains? The iPod only has an interface at the bottom where I can attach an data/charging cable to the computer and the XF interface. And I was always able to charge the iPod via those 2 connections.
Apple do market an adaptor which connects directly to the mains but I suspect that it would not help if you are satisfied your PC connection is functioning well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Okay, it's worth giving that a try. There is an Apple Store around the corner, so I could give them a try with a mains power feed. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts