XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Service,
I would be pleased to know if you have a solution to the failure of the memory system to retain the setting of the mirror in the reversing mode. I have set it in accordance with the manual's instuction only to find that after a few operations the setting is lost and it reverts to the default position.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Peter,

I have not had this complaint but the system is a tried and tested one on the XK so if this is the case then you need to go and demonstrate this to your dealer for diagnosis. At a guess I would say memory module fault. :cry:

·
Registered
374 Posts
One other possibility is a faulty motor/mechanism. I have had this 'mirror memory loss' issue from day one. It's not a big deal as I just reset it every now and then.

However, recently I have found that the mirror does try to tilt but seems to get stuck. Sometimes it only tilts ever so slightly. Other times it doesn't tilt at all. Using the mirror controls I am aways able to reset it and get it to tilt for a few more days.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Service said:
Hi Peter,

I have not had this complaint but the system is a tried and tested one on the XK so if this is the case then you need to go and demonstrate this to your dealer for diagnosis. At a guess I would say memory module fault. :cry:
I was afraid you would say that. It is going to be difficult to demonstrate a fault because it works well until it fails.
I can imagine that the Technician will never see the system fail unless I leave the car for a few days until it does.
Catch 22 I think !

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've recvently noticed I also have this problem - is there a known fix?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Same problem with my XF mirror.

My dealer took pleasure in fixing it while my car was in for service only for it to revert to not playing by the time i got home.

Disappointing for such a useful feature.

Reecy

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
jagseven said:
I've recvently noticed I also have this problem - is there a known fix?
Thank you for finding this topic jagseven, as this has happened to me on a number of occasions and I was beginning to think I was losing my marbles :?
Clearly this is a long standing glitch despite the mechanism being tried and tested as Service suggests.
Pekem, did you ever arrive at a satisfactory conclusion before you sold your 2.7 :?:

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
raregrin I did not pursue the matter after I was told that I needed to take it in; couldn't be bothered.
As it happens, my present car doesn't suffer from this issue, touch wood :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
My car also has this problem, it has never been fixed. One forgets the mechanism is there as it becomes pointless resetting the reverse dip, then it stops working, then you reset it, then it stops and so on.

Tony.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not sure if this helps but I was getting the same issue on my LR Discovery 3. The XF hasn't failed yet but I believe it will given the correct set of circumstances.

Anyway, the module used in the D3 will likely be the same as in the XF given the amount of common parts the JLR group seem to use. In the D3 it has no battery back up instead relying on the main vehicle battery to maintain the memory. On a cold morning the D3 can be a bit tardy when starting and the battery voltage under cranking drops below the critical point. All seat and mirror memories are lost at this point and the mirrors in particular seem to revert to a 'default' setting.

I have already proved that the XF loses the memories if the vehicle battery is disconnected when I tested the handbrake reset routine so it is likely that short journeys which do not fully recharge the battery could aggravate this. There are other things like the Auto-ON of the heated screens which could also be a contributing factor - something which I am going to ask the dealer to switch off.

Interestingly, since I've been using the CTEK charger on the D3 I haven't had the issue come back which reinforces the theory even more.

Hope this helps.

Dom

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dom

That's interesting - I have been doing several short journeys recently which might explain it
Not a big issue but something I'll mention at the next service

1 - 12 of 12 Posts