XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I live in France and have just bought a January 2011 3 litre diesel Luxe Premium. Very pleased with it! But I am about to travel on Brittany Ferries from the UK to France and as usual will be asked to disable the alarm during the 11 hour sea crossing. I have looked in the handbook and on the Forum but find that my Touch Screen/Vehicle Settings/Security does NOT have the alarm sensors (interior & tilt) disable/enable option. So, is there another way of disabling the alarm apart from leaving my car unlocked and using "Valet" to lock the boot and glove box?

Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi I live in France and have just bought a January 2011 3 litre diesel Luxe Premium. Very pleased with it! But I am about to travel on Brittany Ferries from the UK to France and as usual will be asked to disable the alarm during the 11 hour sea crossing. I have looked in the handbook and on the Forum but find that my Touch Screen/Vehicle Settings/Security does NOT have the alarm sensors (interior & tilt) disable/enable option. So, is there another way of disabling the alarm apart from leaving my car unlocked and using "Valet" to lock the boot and glove box?

Thanks
it is strange that you are not seeing this option, that is where it should be in the menu.

just leave it unlocked, there is zero chance of your car being stolen during the voyage obviously, but no-one is going to enter it either, the only people on the car deck will be crew, and the car deck will be covered by cctv.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
If your car had double locking, ie press door button twice and get two beeps, just single lock, ie press door button once and get one beep. This only locks doors and boot, there is no tilt or interior alarm. No need for any menu change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both for the replies.

If I press the door button once, no beep, the wing mirrors fold and the doors are locked, two presses produces one beep. With both one and two presses the LED on the dashboard flashes so I assume the alarms are set? Do you know of any way of checking to see if the alarms are actually set without trying to break in or tilt the car! ;)

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Seems you only have the single locking. To test get someone to sit still inside the car. Lock the car and then they try to get out. If they succeed and the alarm goes off it was single locked. Try again with two presses. With double locking the motion alarm will work and they cannot get out and are trapped inside. You might even be able to test tilt by rocking the car. A simpler test is to leave a window open and try to grab something off the back seat and see what happens. Have fun.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Easier test....remove the key from the remote....leave fob in the house and use the key to open a door or boot.....then run and get the remote.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Easier still. Go by Eurotunnel. Quicker, more civilised, you stay in the car, no sea legs required, 35 minutes coast to coast and five minutes to disembark. No alarm needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Easier still. Go by Eurotunnel. Quicker, more civilised, you stay in the car, no sea legs required, 35 minutes coast to coast and five minutes to disembark. No alarm needed.
Great idea! But I am doing the "grand tour" of the our family so I am going to the UK by Eurotunnel and coming back to Normandy via Portsmouth and St Malo, I only live an hour from the port. I will try all the suggestions for the testing alarm tomorrow and hope the neighbours won't mind!

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update. Following all your suggestions, I single locked the car using the key fob and then leaving the fob in the house, opened the driver's door with the key and the alarm went off. So it appears, for my XF, I cannot disable the alarm at all. I shall have to leave the car unlocked while on the ferry and use the "valet" setting to lock the boot and glove box.

Thanks to everybody for your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Update. Following all your suggestions, I single locked the car using the key fob and then leaving the fob in the house, opened the driver's door with the key and the alarm went off. So it appears, for my XF, I cannot disable the alarm at all. I shall have to leave the car unlocked while on the ferry and use the "valet" setting to lock the boot and glove box.

I recall, vagely, that the innards of the remote were modified since they replaced mine in 2012. The cause was battery failure on a regular basis (nothing to do with your dilemma but may be of use!).
On the older pre facelift Xfs you cannot deactivate the alarm via the screen and there is no tilt feature on this model either, as far as I'm aware!!
I would not worry too much about disabling the alarm on the ferry, since noone really checks and they are also well aware that not all alarms can be deactivated via the touch screen.
I would never leave my car unlocked on a ferry!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I am confused because the vehicle's original handbook states that the alarm can be disarmed via the touch screen and that it does have a tilt alarm, but as I've described the vehicle does not match the handbook. I do not want to take a risk with the alarm on the ferry as it is an 11 hour crossing and if it is rough the alarm could be sounding the whole way across. I am going to try and set of the tilt alarm today, the problem is because the XF is so streamlined there is not much to grab on to to rock it!

·
Registered
970 Posts
@Edgarpole - is your car UK or French spec.? From a German forum, the general conclusion was that the tilt alarm with interior sensors was not standard equipment although I believe in the UK it is. If your car is French and this is like the German ones, my guess is that no tilt alarm is fitted. The perimeter alarm is activated by the double locking.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think the motion sensors will be disabled if single locked though, the alarm went off on the door switch.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
If the disarm feature is not appearing on your screen you will not have it. As you state, the manual you have is not the one for your earlier model which originated from the Continent?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car is a French spec, I am the second owner, the first owner bought it new from a Jag dealer in the Loire. The handbook is in French so I think it is the one originally supplied with the vehicle. I have had 4 french cars now, the XF is my fifth, and none have been fitted with an alarm, the XF is the first. The French don't seem to want them. The perimeter alarm is set with single locking so I have just to try an trip the tilt alarm, if it is fitted!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Enlist the help of two or three neighbours if you can, if not lock the car and take a set of jump leads with you just in case. You can always download a copy of the car manual in English from the Jaguar website.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts

Not necessary to leave it unlocked, your only concern is the tilt alarm, even if this is fitted it is only activated when you double press the lock button twice within 3 seconds. A single press only arms the doors, boot, and bonnet, stop worrying and enjoy your holiday. Phil

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Phil. The alarm section in owner's handbook bears no resemblance to what is actually fitted to the car! I shall take your advice and single lock it on the ferry. I will double lock it and try, using my two sons-in-law, to set of the tilt alarm while I am in the UK!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Unfortunately the handbook is not model specific, it covers all models, (Luxury, Premium Luxury, Portfolio, etc.) and covers all the options, whether fitted or not. Phil

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm not quite sure whether I made myself clear in my previous thread on this issue, Edgar.
If you cannot see anything on your screen, you do not have the tilt feature, nor do I actually.
It is imperative that a driver can activate or deactivate it, and this only can be accomplished via the touch screen, obviously. The facelift Uk model does have this and you can clearly see it on the screen. This is why the ferry people want this feature deactivated if one can access it!!!! You can't, because it is not there.
As Phil says, the handbooks tend to be universal these days and can be thoroughly confusing as a result.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts