XF Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.7 l PL 13,600 miles .... after having my tyres checked today, following picking up a nail, i was somewhat shocked to be told that both rear were down to the wear bars , both front had only 4mm , the nailed tyre could not be repaired as too close to the wall ( which i quite understand ) & it would be advisable to replace the other front tyre, making a full set required.
Not having previously experienced such short life , i would appreciate comments from anyone with a similar experience or knowledge of tyre wear.
The vehicle has been driven very carefully, with the majority of time only myself onboard & pressures checked weekly . would be very interested to know if this is the normal life to be expected . The tyres in question are Dunlop SP Sport 245 / 40 R19 which i am told are a soft compound tyre specified for their grip.
i am now wondering , as the vehicle is not 'raced' , should i look for a harder compound tyre as the additional grip may not be such a factor ??.
many thanks.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi sodgob,
I started a previous threat about this very thing! See link below

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=411

I have fitted Hankooks all round, not a household name but respected in motorsport. Harder wearing and very much quieter than the 18" Pirellis that the car was supplied with.

·
Vendor
561 Posts
There should be a tyre wear indicator number on the side wall of the tyres, anything in the 220 to 240 region means they'll wear out quickly. Might be a good guide for what tyres to buy next but bear in mind you'll be trading grip for long life, especially in the wet.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for your input, it does say 'treadwear 280' traction A temperature A
many thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
you could always try Costco for tyres - they usually have good prices on Michellins

·
Registered
62 Posts
sodgob, you have the same boots as me, ive just had a look and at 7k miles, seems like mine wont last to 15k, very disturbing!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
i'd be wary of compromising grip too much :) at the end of the day, the XF is a nearly two-tonne, 200bhp+ rwd saloon. it's not just about how quickly you drive, having decent tyres makes a big difference in emergency stop conditions etc.

having said that, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to pay for the premium brands. i've certainly heard good things about hankooks, though i have no personal experience of them. i've been impressed by Falkens and Kumhos on previous cars. Goodyears were ok, but not really my cup of tea, i've had mixed experiences with Yokos.

word of warning though - as well as size and speed rating look out for the load rating on the tyre too - my P-zeros are rated at 100. i've been told in the past that straying from the manufacturers spec may cause warranty or insurance problems :( .

i bought a new Pzero Rosso from eventmobiletyres for £205 last month which i thought was reasonable. good service too - they came to my work and fitted it. http://www.event-tyres.co.uk

i've also had good service from http://www.blackcircles.com as well.

another little point to eke a bit of extra life from the tyres is to rotate from front to rear every few thousand miles. that'll also ensure you keep the best tyres on the back, which is a good move for safety and handling :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Brake pad wear issues.

I read Autocars long term test on their 635d a few months ago and was staggered so see how little wear the rear tyres had experienced in something like 18k miles (runflats I know, which have many disadvantages) yet the rears on our XF were down to 3mm in 8k miles. Its appalling that Jaguar allowed XFs to leave the factory with PZeros fitted which are completely unsuitable for the car (my fronts were worn out at 16k miles and my local tyre fitter was really shocked at how the rubber had begun to crack on 12 month old tyres)...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm pretty pleased. The rears on my XF have just about made it to 29,000 miles and the fronts still have a few mm to go before they need to be changed. These are Dunlops and they've been pretty good grip in the wet.

I'm not so pleased that my 2 week holiday to Florida is almost certainly cancelled as the flight we were due to catch this morning didn't make it and it's looking unlikely we will get a new slot before the 26th December. :( Oh well I'm sure there many off worse than us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts