XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TYRE SHOCK
Hi there,
Just back from my dealers, car needed some warranty work, and I was in formed that my rear tyres were almost illegal!!! Surely this is not on as my car has only covered 9000 miles!!! They also pointed out that my fron tyres were on the way out.

The service manager suggested wheel spinning! To which I replied I do not drive the car in that way.

Has anyone else had tyres needing replaced at such a small milage??

·
Registered
22 Posts
What model are you driving? The only model that could go through tyres that quickly is the SV8 unless you have a wheel alignment problem. What were the measurements across the tyre I might be able to help?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much Service. I have the report at work. I will post the results tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, it is the Luxury 2.7d

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tyres on the car are Pirrelli PZero's on the rear the are 245/45 ZR18
They are 08 tyres so not even as if they are old tyres.
They are evenly worn and my local tyre fitter was amazed that I had only got 9000 out of them. He also stated that Pirrelli are one of the poorer wearing tyres on the market.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am just off the phone to Jaguar customer service and they have logged my complaint and are contacting the dealer. The lady suggested anything between 12,000 and 25,000 miles for rear tyres!! But I also detected a lack of understanding in her voice, suggesting that maybe it was my driving style!

In the past I have owned many performance cars including a GT3 and I got 15,000 out of its rear tyres!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pirelli use the softer compound to say Michellin but this is to maximise ride and reduce road noise. They do wear quicker but are cheaper than the Michellin. I have a customer who has done 16K in this model and he is quite a way off needing tyres. If there is no geometry or tyre pressure problem then I cannot explain this. Have you measured the tyres yourself? Most businesses are in desperate need of money at the mo so might be worth checking them yourself.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point, although I do trust my local guy I will take a look at the tyres myself. I am awaiting cutomer services reply but will take it further if they refuse to change them and not for the same rubber either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would be supprised if Jag contribute in this instance but as a dealer if you were my customer I would certainly look at goodwill from my own pocket just to look after you but then maybe thats why we are in the top five dealers in the country based on what our customers say about us! Sorry had to drop that in. By the way depending on driving style the lady at customer services wasn't far off. I would say 12k to 20k on the rear and 12 to 25k on the front.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My driving style hasen't changed much, slowed down somewhat, in the last 25 yrs and as I said in the other post running that I have gotten twice the miles from my Porsche GT3 tyres!

Customer service is just off the phone and they also, after speaking with my dealer say it "appears" to be down to driving style. I have owned mercedes and BMW's and never had this problem. At this rate I will need new tyres every 6 mths surely this is unacceptable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Service said:
What model are you driving? The only model that could go through tyres that quickly is the SV8 unless you have a wheel alignment problem. What were the measurements across the tyre I might be able to help?
why would the SV8 would do that , is it because the SV8 have a bigger wheels ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
XF Man said:
Service said:
why would the SV8 would do that , is it because the SV8 have a bigger wheels ?
No just more power, they rip through tread like nothing else. I would recommend the dunlop tyre over the pirelli though ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Service,
Are the tyre sizes supposed to be the same all round on the XF? I have the 18" Venus wheels.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Neillbro said:
Hi Service,
Are the tyre sizes supposed to be the same all round on the XF? I have the 18" Venus wheels.
Yes the tyres are the same size all round. I was amazed the other day when a customer came in on 18 inch wheels on the dunlops. He had covered 30,000 miles and still had 3.0 mm left on his tyres - never seen anything like it but he does spend all day on the motorway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have done 14000 miles and have had 1 front tyre replaced due to the tyre wearing badly on the outer edge - Jag paid half as the car also needed alignment
I now have 2 other tyres 1 on front and on rear almost down to minimum - I had an X5 4 x 4 that got to nearly 30k before needing tyres
I am not a fan of the PZs as they are a hard tyre and you get a lot of road noise and they are blooming expensive
I was also told by dealer that maybe I should have replaced both tyres on the same axle at the same time - I was not impressed with that statement

Also can I amke you aware there are several types of Pirelli PZs so mka esure you buy the right ones - There are XL, Rossi and Direzional

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi there,
An update to my ongoing tyre situation; Jaguar have stated that my tyres, after 10k miles are worn out due to "The way I drive " !! I have been priced to replace the pirrellis like for like, £245.00 per wheel! I told them that I was not putting the same tyre on again for obvious reasons and wanted a price for the Dunlops (the only other tyre Jaguar recomend) I am still waiting (over 2 weeks) for a price.

I have since replaced all four tyres with Handcook Tyres, at a cost of £145.00 each. I have used them before and although not well known they are a hard wearing tyre and I must say since fitting to my XF are incredibly quiet.

The dealer has asked for the pirrellis back so that they can send them of to the manufacturer for testing, if they are prooved faulty I will be rembursed. Not holding my breath though, oh and they offered me a free service for my trouble.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Neillbro said:
Hi there,
An update to my ongoing tyre situation; Jaguar have stated that my tyres, after 10k miles are worn out due to "The way I drive " !! I have been priced to replace the pirrellis like for like, £245.00 per wheel! I told them that I was not putting the same tyre on again for obvious reasons and wanted a price for the Dunlops (the only other tyre Jaguar recomend) I am still waiting (over 2 weeks) for a price.

I have since replaced all four tyres with Handcook Tyres, at a cost of £145.00 each. I have used them before and although not well known they are a hard wearing tyre and I must say since fitting to my XF are incredibly quiet.

The dealer has asked for the pirrellis back so that they can send them of to the manufacturer for testing, if they are prooved faulty I will be rembursed. Not holding my breath though, oh and they offered me a free service for my trouble.
Interesting tyre choice; as you say they will not be well known.
I have found more info on a site which suggests that in racing circles they are well known.
http://www.hankookmotorsport.com/

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Pekem,
I have used Handcook before on a GT3 and loved the tyre. I also wasn't prepared to spend £1000 on tyres that will be shot in another 10k miles!

Have to say again that the difference in tyre noise entering the car is incredible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My experience with the Pirellis on 18" venus wheels was not good. Rears required replacement at 8300miles when the old fronts were then put on the rear and they lasted to 10700 miles so i'm now booted all round with Vreidestein sessanta ultracs. £160 each.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts