XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to expierience a rotational noise especially when de accelarating from 30mph to 20mph. The same when accelerating through lower speeds. As sped increased the noise blends in and is lost.
Visit to dealer technician in car for a slow jaunt round the block he picked up on the noise and told me it is tyre noise. Said the tyres are what he called "Stepping"where the tread is wearing unevenly. They said they will swap the front whels over to see if that counteracts the stepping and noise.
Anyone else had this problem. My XF is running on Dunlop SP Sport fitted from new tyres.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
I haven't experienced any such noise with my existing XF 500 miles or so and I have Dunlops (20inch wheels). My original XF had 18inch wheels and had done 16,000 miles with fairly uneven wear and still no noise noticed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Hi.
Just a comment. Swapping the front tyres is not a good idea. You may take the right side and swap from behind to front and visa versa in the left side. Otherwise you risk, that the treads inside get damaged.

Hans
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Silver Fox said:
I started to expierience a rotational noise especially when de accelarating from 30mph to 20mph. The same when accelerating through lower speeds. As sped increased the noise blends in and is lost.
Visit to dealer technician in car for a slow jaunt round the block he picked up on the noise and told me it is tyre noise. Said the tyres are what he called "Stepping"where the tread is wearing unevenly. They said they will swap the front whels over to see if that counteracts the stepping and noise.
Anyone else had this problem. My XF is running on Dunlop SP Sport fitted from new tyres.
Yes I noticed it about at 7K after a couple visits the Diff was changed, but noise still there. 2 new same type front tyres fitted (9000K original Dunlop SP Sport 18"). tread depth just before being chnaged 6mm across all tyres front and back.No noise after new tyres fitted. Originals sent to Dunlop. Still waiting feed back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Hi I noticed this as well, since here in Germany the speeds are about up to 50-80Km/h. I am having it checked by the Dealership here. Also noticed that the car pulls to the right under braking at slow speeds to stop but at high speeds to slow down it is balanced perfectly in a straight line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply guys. This tyre road noise is really annoying now. mileage is on 21k still some wear left in tyres but am tempted to change them soon. Certainly wont be fitting Dunlops. may go over to Bridgestone :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Update from Dunlop nothing wrong with the tyres. They suggest it could be mechanical. Now waiting for a reply from Jaguar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
heogh said:
Hi.
Just a comment. Swapping the front tyres is not a good idea. You may take the right side and swap from behind to front and visa versa in the left side. Otherwise you risk, that the treads inside get damaged.

Hans
Just to concur with the above - do NOT swap wheels between left and right, most tyres will be directional, swapping from left to right without removing and refitting the tyres will result in directional tryes being fitted the wrong way round.

Not good, especially in the wet, as the tyres will force water inward and be prone to aquaplaning much quicker.

If the dealer has swapped the wheels over - please just quickly go and check that they have not left you with directional tyres rotating the wrong way, as this is dangerous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
chesterfield said:
Just to concur with the above - do NOT swap wheels between left and right, most tyres will be directional, swapping from left to right without removing and refitting the tyres will result in directional tryes being fitted the wrong way round.
A lot of tyres are asymmetric, I've not come across any directional tyres on Jaguars - have you some examples? Asymmetric tyres should be able to be swapped around freely provided they were installed the right way round to start with.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
mbrock said:
A lot of tyres are asymmetric, I've not come across any directional tyres on Jaguars - have you some examples? Asymmetric tyres should be able to be swapped around freely provided they were installed the right way round to start
I've noticed my Pirelli P-Zero's are directional.

I havn't had any problems with tyres at all. Maybe you should consider these?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
The original Dunlops on my 3.0DS on 20" Sentas are directional and I assume all OE Dunlops on 3.0DS cars on 20" wheels are the same?

The road noise is unremarkable on all surfaces except the concrete section of the M20 around Ashford, Kent and presumably other such surfaces.

Grip is superb and at 5000m ware is on course for 20,000m approx before renewal, I hope. Fronts and backs seem to be waring at a similar rate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Asymetrical and directional are not mutualy exclusive.

one example of dunlop SP Sport (as could be fitted to the OP's car):



It is Asymetrical AND directional


Dunlop SP Sport 9000: (directional only)



Always worth checking just to be sure there hasnt been a simple mistake made in the fitting. :)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top