XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm into my second week of ownership and with the exception of a couple of paint defects which the dealer is handling with the personal high-level of service I expect; I'm very happy indeed.

One area I would like to gauge experienced XF owners' views on is that of tyre pressures. I would like the most comfortable/luxurious/soft driving experience as I do many motorway miles, I realise that tyre pressures may accelerate wear patterns, but this is an acceptable compomise for me.

Advice, experience, personal preferences are welcomed. I have a 2.7D Prem Lux with standard wheels, drive mostly on my own and as I said, mostly motorway miles.

Thanks in advance,
Paul, a very happy XF owner.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,501 Posts
Hi Paul, a very happy XF owner :)
Great to read that you are enjoying your XF and all is well. I drive mainly off motorways so I don't think that I can help with your tyres etc.
However, I would ask that you post a picture of your Azure Blue with 35% tints. That is something we have not seen before and it will be be very interesting to see. :)
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
561 Posts
We've had a play with tyre pressures on 17", 18" and 20" tyres, each time the quoted Jaguar pressure of 31psi front and rear for 17" and 18" and 34psi front and rear for 20" gave the best balance between comfort and steering/handling. If you raised the pressure the car became uncomfortable and the steering became light without feel. If you lowered the pressure the ride became more comfortable on ridges and bumps but tended to felt soft and floaty at higher speeds as well as the steering becoming elastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I run 20" DSR alloys on my XF with Dunlop Sport Maxx have had them replaced today (after 18k) for the same but I reckon the reason for early wear is over inflation (32 PSI) , as the wear is all down the centre of the tyres especially on the rears.I have run mine for the last 8 weeks on 26PSI and this has really ensured that all of the tyre is in contact with the road and the wear has slowed significantly.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,501 Posts
Neil1960 said:
I run 20" DSR alloys on my XF with Dunlop Sport Maxx have had them replaced today (after 18k) for the same but I reckon the reason for early wear is over inflation (32 PSI) , as the wear is all down the centre of the tyres especially on the rears.I have run mine for the last 8 weeks on 26PSI and this has really ensured that all of the tyre is in contact with the road and the wear has slowed significantly.
Welcome to the forum Neil1960 :)
Do you know if the lower pressures you favour impacted on fuel economy in anyway :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
Neil, I am interested in your experience with tyre wear. The car I have ordered also has 20" wheels, but I won't be able to lower the pressure as it comes with Tyre Pressure Monitors. I might get away with dropping it slightly, but I think 26 psi will be out of the question.

BTW, what did you think of the ride quality with normal tyre pressure?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I am currently averaging around 35mpg with a good mix of motorways and A roads , When I dropped the pressures to be honest I didn't notice any significant change in economy or ride quality and tyre roar has been the same which surprised me. I suppose With the 35 profile tyre I would expect ride quality to be not quite as good as as with the 18" or 19" rims. (But they do look great! )
Ride quality on higher pressures was good but the wear was pretty frightening especially in the centres. I used to run a 535d and used to get between 25-30k out of the rears no problem , so this was a bit of a surprise!
Originally when I queried pressures for my 20" they seemed pretty uncertain as to what pressure to run them on and suggested trial and error! On leaving I inspected their deomonstrator with 20" and the wear on theirs was worse than mine! Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Hey Neil 1960,

What make of tyres did you use on your 535d??

The best i ever got was 15k out the rears on the 5 BMW 530 sports that i owned in the last 9 years, i tend to do alot of miles in a year and change motors at 95k just as they start to go sloppy and fall part-i hope my jag lasts longer.

It certainly drives better--my a mile.

I tried all makes of tyres whether expensive and cheap end tyres and found that dunlop best overall, i ran conti sport contact 2's for quite a while but put dunlops back onto the car and my corner speeds rose back upto previous with more confirence in the dunlops.

My jag has come with dunlops so that me happy.

Glad you have changed to Jaguar--i hope you are too.

Reecy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
penultimateblack said:
Neil, I am interested in your experience with tyre wear. The car I have ordered also has 20" wheels, but I won't be able to lower the pressure as it comes with Tyre Pressure Monitors. I might get away with dropping it slightly, but I think 26 psi will be out of the question.

BTW, what did you think of the ride quality with normal tyre pressure?
My TPMS seems to pick up issues with pressure at about 24psi. When I had a nail in the tyre a couple of months ago it was at that before the monitor went amber,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I'm pleased with my choice ,I decided I'd have a change after 8 years of 5's ...a 523i, a 530d and my last was a 535d sport (all troublefree ...so it was a big decision to change!)The 535d Sport had Goodyear run flats on it which were very firm but wore well. I also never had a set of brakes even after 83k miles and the indicator said I didn't need any for a further 15k miles when I changed the car! (amazing) When the new 5 series comes out that will be the test.I really hope that the XF maintains its crown! I have had the majority of niggles that everyone else has had with the Jag but I don't let them spoil things as I really enjoy the car.
On the BMW the tyre pressure monitor monitored the change in pressure so you could set up at 26psi reset and then the 26psi would be monitored for a drop, not sure if that is how the Jag system works as I didn't have it fitted on this car. If it works the same then this isn't a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
Neil1960 said:
On the BMW the tyre pressure monitor monitored the change in pressure so you could set up at 26psi reset and then the 26psi would be monitored for a drop, not sure if that is how the Jag system works as I didn't have it fitted on this car. If it works the same then this isn't a problem.
It isn't possible to select a tyre pressure with the Jag system.



 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top