XF Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, not sure if anyone can help me on here, or more likely got to do the dealer thing.

Just purchased myself a set of 20" supercharged XFR wheel's complete with TPMS sensors. Fitted them (boy do they look good), but now I'm getting a TPMS sensor error on the display.

Any tips????

Happy Essex XF driver.....

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The car TPM receiver has to be matched to the sensors. This might help as a sensor change is basically the same as changing all the wheels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a trip to the dealer this week to sort it out.. Many thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
I presume this is also the same if you get a 2nd set of wheels (e.g. Winter tyres) - you need to pop down the dealer to get them to talk to each other?

·
Banned
468 Posts
Each sensor has a unique serial number. As the wheel passes a set point in the wheel arch, a reciever behind the wheel arch trim picks up the wheel sensor as it turns, and then sends this information on towards the central module.

As you have new wheels, the recievers at each wheel do not recognise the new serial numbers. They are still looking for the old serial number sensors - this is why you are getting a fault coming up on your dash.

A few minutes at the dealer with a lat-top to program the new serial numbers and it should be done.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Every time you change wheels? Or can the car remember two sets of wheels?

These TPMS are just a useless waste of money.

·
Banned
468 Posts
Not sure Jagular, but i believe it's only one set of TPM sensors at a time. Also starting to think that they are pointless. Nothing wrong with checking your tyre pressure by hand once a week. Ok - you might get a dirty thumb and finger from dirty valve caps, but not if you keep your car clean oftern.
MGSteve - I would expect you are right. Next time i get any problems with the TPMS, am going to ask dealer to remove them and direct module to accept the fact if it can.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't know - I managed to drive most of the way back from Devon to the Midlands with a very low rear tyre on my ZT and only noticing when I got home and saw it was virtually flat. The problem with these low profiles is that it can actually be hard to notice when they are low sometimes.

G

·
0 Posts
The XF should be capable of detecting the serial number of a new TPMS sensor. There is a transmitter/receiver inside each wheel arch. The transmitter asks the TPMS sensor for the information which will include the new serial number.

The only problem is that some XF's can do this & others can't. Pekem & I have winter wheels from the same source. My XF won't recognize the new sensors. Pekem had no problems. The only way round the problem is to visit the dealer & get the serial numbers manually entered. If you make a note of the numbers (& location) it saves popping the tyres every time you change. Some dealers have a little device that can read the sensor information without removing the wheel which saves time & money.

L

·
0 Posts
Every time you change wheels? Or can the car remember two sets of wheels?

These TPMS are just a useless waste of money.
No, just the once. Both my summer and winter wheels are recognised with no errors being generated.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
That's a relief. Still, it seems a sensible precaution to record those serial numbers before mounting the tire, in case a trip to a Jaguar dealer is required.

It is important to realize that these TPMS systems as mandated do NOT inform you when your tire is dangerously underinflated. They could do, the data is there and transmitted to the car but so far only Porsche displays actual tire pressure in real time on the instrument panel.

Jaguar displays the TPMS low pressure warning only when measured pressure drops more than 25% below specified. At least I think that's the parameter. Certainly by the time the warning light displays you have been driving with dangerously low pressure for quite some time.

The systems were developed for runflat tires and are completely unsuitable for ordinary tires, as the TPMS are currently fitted.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The other option of course is to simply remove the fuse that indicates the error ! I have a new set of wheels and 4 new TPMS and that is what I intend to do should they not be detected when fitted.

My opinion is one where I believe it is all a bit of an unnecessary gimmick and the alternative easily addressed by checking tyre pressures regularly, as we have always done. ;)

After all as Jagular stated: Jaguar displays the TPMS low pressure warning only when measured pressure drops more than 25% below specified. At least I think that's the parameter. Certainly by the time the warning light displays you have been driving with dangerously low pressure for quite some time.

This is particularly true if you 20 inch wheels as I do !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts