XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my tyre valves snapped and therefore had to be replaced with a standard one whilst awaiting parts. They not have one in and will do it tomorrow. There is a tech bulletin about defective tyre valves that I had to bring to their attention. Turns out that they will do the work under warranty BUT the bulletin states categorically that this should be chargable work if the car has metal valve caps fitted. Mine doesnt so im OK but if any of you do change them for plastic ones before going into the dealer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: A warning to anyone with TPMS fitted

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to get a snapped valve replaced under warranty yet? I have the same problem with a valve that snapped and I am furious that this will not be considered a warranty issue after only 4 months and the first time the wheels have been touched.

Regards,

Paul.

X

·
0 Posts

Thanks for the info Craig.

The metal valve caps are fitted to mine. Firstly can anyone advise; are the metal caps used if TPMS is present or is there another reason? secondly, for what reason and under what circumstances are they prone to snap off? and thirdly, what are the details of the technical bulletin and why the differences in charging policy for metal/plastic?!

Cheers all.

·
Registered
628 Posts

XFS said:
Thanks for the info Craig.

The metal valve caps are fitted to mine. Firstly can anyone advise; are the metal caps used if TPMS is present or is there another reason? secondly, for what reason and under what circumstances are they prone to snap off? and thirdly, what are the details of the technical bulletin and why the differences in charging policy for metal/plastic?!

Cheers all.
All great questions. I cant wait to hear Jaguars explanation to this one! :roll:

·
Registered
288 Posts

XFS said:
The metal valve caps are fitted to mine.
I've just checked and the caps supplied with my car from new are plastic.

XFS - is it safe to infer that you switched yours and installed metal caps yourself?

In any event, I'm also intrigued to know how it makes any difference to charging policy :?:

X

·
0 Posts

Compass said:
XFS said:
I've just checked and the caps supplied with my car from new are plastic.

XFS - is it safe to infer that you switched yours and installed metal caps yourself?

In any event, I'm also intrigued to know how it makes any difference to charging policy :?:
Hi Compass,

No mate I haven't touched mine, I just know from washing the wheels that the valves are black rubber with silver metal valve caps. These came with the vehicle, an October build as per my signature below, with Sparkle Silver 20" Volans.

The real concern for me now is why are they faulty? and will Jaguar replace them for non faulty valves before we have one or more snap off!?

·
Registered
570 Posts

Mine was an October build, rolled off the line on the 26th. It has silver/grey coloured plastic caps....curiouser and curiouser....

TPMS is indicated by the hex locking nut on the valve stem next to the rim.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Mine was a Sept. build and came with plastic caps. I bought the metal JAGUAR CAPS from my dealer. If there is some kind of defect existing in metal caps that, in effect, Jaguar sells to the public through its AGENT, the dealer, then, my friends, we are covered WARRANTY OR NOT! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
9,965 Posts

I had a leaking valve stem replaced under warranty. It leaked under the base of the stem.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Have discovered leaking driverside rear tire. Will service it tomorrow(Monday) and report back.

·
Registered
550 Posts

I have the "silver" plastic ones to on my Volans... no leaks so far though... fingers crossed!

·
Registered
570 Posts

XFS said:
Are you sure yours are metal? Yours was built at roughly the same time as stevewallis100's and mine, we both have silver plastic valve caps; which admittedly at first glance could be mistaken for metal.

X

·
0 Posts

David said:
XFS said:
Are you sure yours are metal? Yours was built at roughly the same time as stevewallis100's and mine, we both have silver plastic valve caps; which admittedly at first glance could be mistaken for metal.
Hi David, I can feel some humble pie coming :lol:

I thought from the silver appearance they were metal but I haven't actually tested them. From what you have said I'm inclined to agree that they will be plastic like yours.
Doh!!... sorry peeps. :oops:

·
Registered
628 Posts

Valve stem replaced. Lets see what happens. No apparent leaks thus far.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Yesterday I was checking my tyre pressure on my 09 Reg Portfolio with TPMS fitted as I tend to like to know that the pressure in the tyres is correct and TPMS is not that precise - the handbook recommends occasional manual checks. I went to my local garage and used the air line. It's one where the pressure is pre-set on the console and I could not hear the chimes indicating the set pressure had been reached due to traffic noise, so I left the pressure hose on the valve and walked over to the display.

A moment later the hose recoiled into the console and I initially thought it must have simply detached, but no... the top of the valve had sheared off under the load from the hose recoil spring, and the tyre rapidly went flat. The car has plastic valve caps, in case anyone is wondering.

I called my local dealer and the service guy asked
"Did this happen when you were removing the valve cap?",
so I told him no and added what had actually happened. He's ordering a new valve as they had none in stock. I then fitted the space-saver spare and drove home.

I called Jaguar head office and the lady I talked to said they were not aware of any issues, and that I should initially talk to my dealer about resolving the problem.

This really worries me. How long till the other valves fail? If I fit new valves, they will presumably be made to the same spec and will be prone to the same failure mode...

Are there any warnings about using only plastic valve caps? I couldn't find any in the handbook. However there is a warning which states "care should be taken to avoid bending or damaging the TPM system valves".

Steve Clark

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts

Welcome to the forum sjclark :)
It is interesting that you have done exactly the same a many others; a fault develops with your XF. A google search throws up our forum and you quite rightly post your concerns.
More interesting perhaps is the fact that the incidence of the issue of failing caps doesn't appear to be widespread. I think only two members have actually suffered this, and the remedy as expressed in the earlier posts, isn't clear to me.
Is it planned by your dealer to replace the set or just the one that is damaged :?:
It might be worthwhile probing a little more to discover just what is known by your dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Will post any info I get from the dealer so that others can be aware of it.

IF the metal valve cap issue is significant e.g. risk of electrolytic corrosion between different metals such as chromed brass cap and what appears to be an aluminium valve, surely that should be made known by Jaguar...

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts

You are quite right.
Keep in mind dealers do not do not get paid for any warranty work without having it signed off by Jaguar.
If the dealer is simply handing them, the caps, over as a good will gesture, the factory may not be aware of any issue. If however, the dealer wants reimbursing then a quality report will need to be submitted to Jaguar and the significance of the claim will not be ignored :)

·
Registered
9,965 Posts

Isn't this a complaint about the valve stem shearing off, not the cap failing. These are totally different risks.

One of my valve stems failed inside the rim.

This is a serious safety problem and frankly ridiculous on a car built in the 21st century.

Even one valve stem failure is unacceptable. This is equivalent to one seat belt failure. These are zero tolerance parts from a failure perspective.

G

·
0 Posts

jagular said:
Isn't this a complaint about the valve stem shearing off, not the cap failing. These are totally different risks.

One of my valve stems failed inside the rim.

This is a serious safety problem and frankly ridiculous on a car built in the 21st century.

Even one valve stem failure is unacceptable. This is equivalent to one seat belt failure. These are zero tolerance parts from a failure perspective.

Very good point Jagular

It rather defeats the object of having TPMS fitted if cars without it are safer :!:

1 - 20 of 269 Posts