XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I've tried numerous brands and types of tyre dressing including an anonymous unbranded bottle given to me by my local Jaguar dealer which they use for their new and used car prep.

Some are easier to apply than others but they all make the tyres look great when first applied. The trouble is that the effect never seems to last more than a couple of days or so. OK, I realise that tyres are first in the firing line for water and dirt plus they heat up but car detailing has become so technologically advanced and is such big business I would have thought that someone would have come up with something that will keep the wet look for a while longer. Though perhaps they have and I've missed it.

Has anyone any product recommendations?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Over the years I've tried numerous brands and types of tyre dressing including an anonymous unbranded bottle given to me by my local Jaguar dealer which they use for their new and used car prep.

Some are easier to apply than others but they all make the tyres look great when first applied. The trouble is that the effect never seems to last more than a couple of days or so. OK, I realise that tyres are first in the firing line for water and dirt plus they heat up but car detailing has become so technologically advanced and is such big business I would have thought that someone would have come up with something that will keep the wet look for a while longer. Though perhaps they have and I've missed it.

Has anyone any product recommendations?
Hi Frogmill0,
I'm not sure it you've tried ArmorAll Extreme Tyre Shine Gel before, but I've used it with pretty effective results. In Singapore, it lasted through 1 week of constant rainfall before I had to wash the car again.

The tyre shine should come with a sponge to apply the gel onto the tyre. A downside of this polish is that if you touch it after you apply it, it will be greasy and leave black marks on your white clothing.

Good luck with your search,

Ben

R

·
0 Posts
Old fashioned "Cherry Blossom" black shoe polish in a round tin works well and lasts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions, chaps. Cherry Blossom is an interesting idea but would I also need a shoe polishing brush and a yellow duster?;)

A

·
0 Posts
I always achieve excellent long lasting results with Turtle Wax nano tech extreme tyre gel

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just put the summer wheels back on today in view of the improving weather forecast and gave them a thorough coating of Autoglym tyre shine. Looks stunning, we shall see how long the looks last........

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've also struggled with tyre shine products which end up coating the wheel in "greasy black" after a couple of days, even though it was only applied to the tyre wall initially....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always achieve excellent long lasting results with Turtle Wax nano tech extreme tyre gel
It's been a lovely day today so I decided to give the car a wash - its first for over two weeks (shock, horror).

In the back of my shed cupboard where I keep my car cleaning products (I can't believe how much stuff I've accumulated) I found some Turtle Wax tyre gel. I can't remember why I stopped using it but I've put some on and I'll see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I hope it last longer than on my rear offside tyre. Put the summer Pirelli P Zeros back on last Sunday and then found the rear offside 'flat as a pancake' yesterday when I walked out of my front door.

Wallet is now £202 lighter, (large gash between the treads) but I have sprayed it with the Autoglym dressing again, we shall see...........

X

·
0 Posts
The secret to it all is like anything, good preparation and a decent product.

Tyres go brown because they weren't cleaned and degreased well enough in the first place. They need a proper wash, then give the rubber a good working over with an appropriate cleaner, loads of good products by various companies but I currently use 'Britemax Grime Out' with a specific tyre wall stiff brush (particular care to avoid the alloys or cover the vulnerable edges with masking tape) For the gloss finish I use 'Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel' and am very pleased with the finish. Not everybody's cup of tea as it is quite oily but the end results are excellent. i4detailing is a good car care site to buy your goodies from but then again there are plenty of others.

Frogmill0 if your even remotely interested in cleaning your own car then have a look at Detailing World on line...what a revelation. The level of info on that site is quite amazing....and also quite worrying that I find it so! lol...still can't get the blinkin smilies to attach Aaargh! :-(

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, XFS. I've had a look at the Detailing World forum and the mind boggles! My wife already thinks I'm obsessed with the car so heaven knows what she'd say if she found me buying everything that's recommended on there! Still, the shed is the man's domain..........

I mentioned in my original post that I washed the car a couple of days ago, and this was the first time I'd done it since I'd had it detailed by Gleaming Kleen. Following their cleaning tips I ditched the sponge, chammy and yellow dusters and used a lambswool mitt, microfibre drying cloth and microfibre polishing cloths. I was highly delighted with the result. The job took about 3 hrs but I have to admit that a good part of that was spent standing and admiring the metallic flecks in the paint glinting in the sun. A passing neighbour commented that he'd never seen a black car looking like that and he should have put his sunglasses on which, of course, pleased me no end.

I love driving the car but at the moment I'm reluctant to do so because it will get dirty.

Sad or what!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Naturally my XF is detailed by Bleeding Mean who employ a potent mixture of mulligatawny soup and bitumen for tyre preparation. Alfonso's teeth are permanently stained as a result but I see this as commendable dedication ;)

Gemset, I have not found going advanced cures my smiley issues, as generally only about half actually transpose onto a finished post. I have tried Amour Extreme Smiley Gel, Nano Smiley Wax and Meguiars Advanced Smiley Potion, but to no avail. Perhaps Smileys from Aerospace may be the answer. Personally I have more faith in traditional remedies, but cannot find the 'Cherry Blossom' button in this new software :D

Before being ejected I will return to the thread and report that for my SOV I use Autoglym products which are available in the industrial quantities that SOV's necessitate, but I can't say the finish lasts for more than a week :)

G

·
0 Posts
Gemset, I have not found going advanced cures my smiley issues, as generally only about half actually transpose onto a finished post. I have tried Amour Extreme Smiley Gel, Nano Smiley Wax and Meguiars Advanced Smiley Potion, but to no avail. Perhaps Smileys from Aerospace may be the answer.
Raregrin, You are using the correct products but have you tried the Smiley Applicator Pad:

Smiley applicator.jpg

X

·
0 Posts
Go Advanced rather than Post Quick Reply will solve your smiley problem.
When I choose 'Go Advanced' I then cant find any of the options to underline, bold, highlight text in colours, use italics or anything. I have the choice of 14 fairly nondescript smilies that when I try to place one in the text just appears to the right of the empty title box at the top of the page. As you can tell my expertise lies elsewhere and not in IT and this post has very little to do with tyre dressing but any help is gratefully received. (I'd actually become quite handy at the old system...roll eyes!)

·
Administrator
22,471 Posts
When I choose 'Go Advanced' I then cant find any of the options to underline, bold, highlight text in colours, use italics or anything. I have the choice of 14 fairly nondescript smilies that when I try to place one in the text just appears to the right of the empty title box at the top of the page. As you can tell my expertise lies elsewhere and not in IT and this post has very little to do with tyre dressing but any help is gratefully received. (I'd actually become quite handy at the old system...roll eyes!)
You will be able to now because I have done for you what you could have done, changed your settings.:)
You now have the "Show Enhanced (WYSIWYG) Editor Toolbar"

X

·
0 Posts
You will be able to now because I have done for you what you could have done, changed your settings.:)
You now have the "Show Enhanced (WYSIWYG) Editor Toolbar"
Oooohhhh would you just look at that!!:);)

But to be fair Peter, how would an IT donut such as me have known that?!? :D

...Thank you :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts