XF Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my XF 3.0 Luxury for two weeks now and I am seriously pleased.

Coming from a long line of A6 Avants I was a bit nervous that the build quality wouldn't be quite what I was used to, but I am pleasantly surprised. It feels very well put together indeed. Solid. No creaks or rattles and all the gaps are nice and even. Brilliant!

The Luxury package is a bit different here in Sweden. The importer has opted to include the winter comfort package and the bi-xenons in lieu of the satnav.
I don't care much for satnavs anyway and I haven't heard much praise for this one so I am quite happy with that. The xenons are great though, and they are programmed for DRL, both front and back. I asked the dealer especially on account of a recent tread on this forum and he told me to keep them in Auto.

I have never been much for leather and (plastic) veneer like the Germans do it, but I feel quite at home in the XF. I like the leather and real veneer. There is something comforting about a car company that actually has a veneer shop.
I might have liked a more distinct tactile feel in the knobs and buttons but it is nothing I will lose any sleep over.
All in all, I think the interior is every bit as well built as the oft acclaimed Audi. Actually it is better since you can't get a leather dash in an Audi.
The kids don't complain about the space in the back either, so there is apparently ample room for both Dr. Marten's boots and colourful mohawks. (They do voice some embarrassment over the poshness of the car, but they don't mind getting a lift. That gives me hope that they will grow to be good people some day after all.)

On the road it feels well planted with a very smooth and effortless ride. I never thought the Audis were jittery at the time but now I know what those journos meant. Big difference.
I was never one for big wheels either, but these 18" ones are surprisingly comfortable.
I like the engine too. I didn't go for the S, for tax reasons, but I am fully satisfied with the power anyway.
I too have noticed the hesitation when accelerating from a standstill. To me it doesn't feel like a flat spot in engine torque. It feels more like it is too gentle when shifting into second gear. It might be my imagination, but I sense the engine revving like the gearbox doesn't engage 2nd gear fast enough. Oh well, it has been suggested that it is a software thing so let's hope they change it in the not too distant future. I am not going to lose any sleep over that either.

After only 1200 miles at an average of 50 mph I get 35 mpg. Not great, but not bad either. I mostly do longer journeys, but I have a strange difficulty with speed limits and often find myself doing 85 on the motorway.
We have our own special diesel formula in Sweden which is lighter and with less aromatics than the sulphur-free Eurodiesel. This should be about 3% less efficient so 42 mpg is probably unreachable, but since it also contains much less aromatics that form exhaust particles I should have less problems with the DPF.

But enough with the techie geek stuff, the car is simply brilliant and I love it.
Before I got mine I had only seen two on the roads here, and since I have only spotted one more.
I cannot believe this.
My XF was actually cheaper than a similarly speced A6 or 525d!
Well, let's not tell anyone and keep the XF to ourselves ;)

The boss (bless him, he signed off on the car) gave me the best compliment. He is starting to regret getting his 650 convertible.

·
Registered
303 Posts
xfswede, welcome to the club, and glad to hear you are happy.
I notice a few posters have commented on the XF being slow out of the traps.
Your comment about it shifting into 2nd gear intrigues me.
My 3.0D NEVER starts in 1st gear when in Drive.
It always pulls away in 2nd gear, even when on hills.
If I manually down shift to 1st, it flies off.

Have you tried this?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't tried that, but I definitely will. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hello xfswede,

I enjoyed the humour in your post.
I am like you and would have much preferred Xenons to a sat nav, but I fear we are in a minority. I also am not a fan of leather, much preferring velour, but sadly it's just not in vogue anymore. Having said that the softgrain leather on my new car is lovely, but at such a cost!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts