XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I wish to find out if anyone else has seen this difference?

My March 08 XF was delivered with software fully working, and the trip computer worked fully and correctly. No issues.

During September, my car had troubles, and one of the loan cars I had was a very new 58 reg XF, and I quickly saw this car's trip computer was not working in the same way. During its time off the road, my car's compter was "reflashed" ie, the computer's operating system was upgraded, and when I received my car back, the trip computer had developed the same fault.

So maybe all post Sept 08 [approx] cars have this issue :?: However, my helper at Jag Customer Care has asked their technical dept, and their answer is that they are not aware of any problem.

The issue is difficult to describe, [and quite detailed] I leave the trip computer in Vehicle|trip|trip auto with the information centre [in front of steering wheel] on the avg fuel position. In the past this would not show a number for the first mile, then would match the exact figure on the main screen when that aspect displayed [but I would be on audio, home or nav].

Now, when starting the car, the info centre shows a random number and stays stuck on that number, say 32.7mpg, but when one visits the main screen, none of the fields of trip A, B or auto is measuring 32.7. If you then change the setting on the screen to any one of A or B or auto, the info centre changes and it tallies with the main screen as it used to, and remains synchronised for the remainder of the journey.

Minor issue but it irritates me, as I keep the info centre in that avg fuel setting.

I have explained this on the phone to Jag now about 20 times. My dealer service manager told me it cannot be fixed. He told the Jag Customer Care rep that he cannot find a fault. So he is lying to me or the JCC.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello to Pekem from somewhere in England,

Fortunately I can read, but I posted it to THIS forum as I was not asking this "service" bloke, I was asking everyone else if they had the same issue.

If YOU had read my message :shock: :roll: , the first line explains exactly why I was posting it in the technical discussion section.

Tony

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sounds like a fault to me. There should not be discrepency between the readings on the main LCD display and the number shown in the instrument panel. The source of the data is the same in both cases.

Your dealer ought to fix the problem.

Just a thought though: the (very confusing) trip metering system on the XF has Auto, A and B. In the past I have confused Auto with A - they are two totally different metering systems: Auto resets at every engine startup and 'A' resets only when you tell it to. Are you viewing the correct one in the LCD display AND the instrument panel?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roma said:
Just a thought though: the (very confusing) trip metering system on the XF has Auto, A and B. In the past I have confused Auto with A - they are two totally different metering systems: Auto resets at every engine startup and 'A' resets only when you tell it to. Are you viewing the correct one in the LCD display AND the instrument panel?
Thanks Roma, I am very, very clear in my personal understanding of the difference between A, B and auto. OTOH my dealer's service manager may not understand these finer points.

Others reading this may do as I do [I think someone else wrote the same]. I keep A for long term averages [until reset by dealership], I use B for each tank of fuel, and auto for each journey. I also sometimes add the previous journey to auto if I want to try this out.

Tony

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Tony

I have exactly the same problem. I used to leave my trip computer on auto mileage, then it would record each journey which is useful for recording business mileage.

After the car went in for some niggles a few months ago, the auto function no longer works - it will hold the mileage from a journey until you go in and reset it again. It used to reset on each engine restart.

My dealer has looked at it a few times but has got nowhere.

Please let me know if you get yours sorted.

Stu

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stu said:
Hi Tony

I have exactly the same problem. . . . .
After the car went in for some niggles a few months ago, the auto function no longer works -
Stu,

This started when my car had a "reflash", around September. This is when they update the software of the car's screen, etc.

Could I ask you to ask your dealer service manager, did they "reflash" your car when it was in for a few niggles a few months ago?

My car has just been back in today [grrrr . . iPod connector] and last week too [more problems, faulty bouncy auto elec windows], I have spoken to my service manager [Stratstone Manchester] and he has now seen the trip computer problem, after many explanations, and he is writing this up for the tech people at the factory.

Regards,

Tony

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Tony

I'll see if I can find out about the 'reflashing' and let you know.

You seem to have had a raw deal. Mine has had a few niggles (rear screen, door seals, dodgy halogens which I replaced with the Philips extremes etc.); but all minor, and all what I'd expect on a brand new model. Still love it though; the XF for me is a great compromise - drives superbly, looks fantastic, and I can fit the family in!

Cheers

Stu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts