XF Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to charge the XFs battery with a charger? In our BMW, although the battery is in the boot, there are two positive and negative connections under the bonnet to allow easy charging.

I don't think the XF has this facility - is it okay to place the conections directly on to the terminals of the battery - without disconnecting it? If I disconnect the battery all my settings will vanish.

I don't need to charge the battery at the present time, but I was just wondering. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Trickle charge battery

Thanks, I've posted it where you suggested.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

XFCAT said:
What is the best way to charge the XFs battery with a charger? In our BMW, although the battery is in the boot, there are two positive and negative connections under the bonnet to allow easy charging.

I don't think the XF has this facility - is it okay to place the conections directly on to the terminals of the battery - without disconnecting it? If I disconnect the battery all my settings will vanish.

I don't need to charge the battery at the present time, but I was just wondering. :)
You can charge the battery with it connected. OXFORD products have a good reputation.

·
Registered
32 Posts

i have one i bought from halfords, it only charges the battery when needed and then it automaticaly switches to a maintenance charge, it seems to work very well, and connects to the battery very easily

·
Registered
306 Posts
Battery charging

My XF has been coming up with a low battery warning just recently, I am not surprised due to the low mileage (1700 since Jul 18 08, question is Jaguar say take the battery out as does the manual, the dealer says it can be charged in the car otherwise some resetting may be required, other XF owners say charge in the car positive lead to positive on the battery and negative to the bolt holding down the spare wheel, so before I attempt is this the way you would advise.

gary

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: Battery charging

I wouldn't simply leave it on a standard charger, I would recommend a battery manager such as Optimate. I have one for the bike and it's taken a battery that had been weak and problematical with little charge holding capacity and transformed it into a perfectly functioning battery. The only thing is though that optimate only do managers for fairly small capacity batteries (up t 50amp hour). I'll have a trawl round the web and see if there are any for larger batteries.

Actually, there are plenty out there.

http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/cats3.a ... =7&cat2=31

·
Registered
306 Posts

Qhunter said:
I wouldn't simply leave it on a standard charger, I would recommend a battery manager such as Optimate. I have one for the bike and it's taken a battery that had been weak and problematical with little charge holding capacity and transformed it into a perfectly functioning battery. The only thing is though that optimate only do managers for fairly small capacity batteries (up t 50amp hour). I'll have a trawl round the web and see if there are any for larger batteries.

Actually, there are plenty out there.

http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/cats3.a ... =7&cat2=31

~I bought the Halfords batt/charger the one that came top in the autoexpress test
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/p ... _test.html.

gary

·
Registered
22 Posts

I would recommend something similar to what qhunter is suggesting. If your mileage is going to stay low then a trickle charger WITH SURGE PROTECTION would be your best bet. Positive to positive and negative to the spare wheel bolt or any good earth for that matter is fine. This will keep your battery topped up and make sure you never get caught out with a flat battery ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts

i have an optimate and I've used it for all my previous cars. You can just leave it plugged in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Use of a Trickle Charger

Every second month I need to park the vehicle in the garage for 31 days when I fly off to work. Because of the high demand of electric stuff I was thinking of getting a trickle charger for this period that the car sits in the garage. This is an ongoing situation. Most trickle chargers feed thru the cigarette lighter back to the battery. Can anyone confirm that this is possible with a MY12 XF when everything has been switched off? I plan to use a solar trickle charger leaving the solar cell on the dashboard. The garage has a very large windown and the sun streams in vigorously so this will owrk fine and gives me confidence that the battery will not be flat when I go next to use the vehicle. Thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify if I can use the cigarette lighter/12V output socket in the cubby box.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I use the cigar lighter terminal in my RV8 for the trickle charger during the winter months. I'm not sure whether this could cause problems with the xf electronics such as the alarm system, for example.

G

·
0 Posts
I don't think you can charge an XF battery this way. The charger needs to be clipped directly to the battery. There has been lots of argument as to whether the battery needs to be disconnected during charging. However, I regularly see XF's & XJ's in dealers showrooms with chargers connected & the battery still in situ & connected.

A solar battery conditioner may provide some of the power for residual electrics & so reduce drain on the battery helping it last longer.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
I would recommend something similar to what qhunter is suggesting. If your mileage is going to stay low then a trickle charger WITH SURGE PROTECTION would be your best bet. Positive to positive and negative to the spare wheel bolt or any good earth for that matter is fine. This will keep your battery topped up and make sure you never get caught out with a flat battery
Above was written months ago by Service , see earlier posts :!:
Service, at the time of writing the above, was a Jaguar Master Technician with a dealership in the South West

·
Registered
144 Posts
Jaguar Battery Charging Kit

Hi everyone,
Been looking on the Jaguar technical site and came across this:

Battery Charging Kit
MY Part No. C2P24103, C2P24104, C2P24105

Basically, its only a cigarette charging point for the boot (with in-line fuse), intended for charging the battery without fiddling about with removing covers, etc.

I think this would also be useful as an accessory point for the boot, but my question is:

If I connect this to a charger while I'm cleaning the car, can it be used to extend the 10minute time-out?

It all depends on how the battery module is programmed - is it just a simple timer, or is it triggered by battery voltage and/or charge state?

If it's the latter, I'll probably buy(subject to price!) or make one of these.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't think it will make any difference; the timeout is too consistent to be based on battery voltage.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I know there is a 10 minute timer, I'm just wondering if the timer is triggered by battery voltage, or charge state.
For the same set of conditions, you would get the same time before trip-out in practice.

If I was writing the firmware, that's what I would do.

I know there is some way of defeating the timer as they were doing it on a demo car at a recent Jag. event I attended. They were doing it so they could demo all the XF and XJ features without constant tripping out.
I'd be very pleased if I could do the same and listen to the radio while I work on the Car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.