XF Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one got me a little worried.

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I've just bought my XF, and gave her a pretty tough inaugural time (more than 2000 miles in harsh winter conditions, with temperatures some times below -20 C, ice and plenty of road salt).

However, I don't believe this should be a reason for her transmission to leak. And yet, it does. I noticed oil spots under the rear axle. First time I thought they were from my other car, which would be a surprise in itself, it's 4 years old and I never had any mechanical problem with it.

I wish they were, I would have taken it easier ... But no, it's the XF that leaks, I confirmed this after several days of monitoring.

Anyone else seen this?

Obviously, the car is still under warranty, and they'll fix it (I hope so!), but this is definitely not a good sign, statistically speaking. This is the second technical problem I am having in less than a month ...

Cheers

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, P.

At this point, I believe I have enough reasons to justify a visit to the dealer ASAP, so I'll get updates from the source. It'll unfortunately have to wait until after the new year, nothing's open around here.

I will definitely update the thread with news.

I wish I had found this site before I bought the car ... I was very close to going for an BMW 5 (or it's a blasphemy to say the name out loud around here?) and decided for the Jag the last minute, I must say that Aston Martin-ess helped a lot. Should I knew about all these problems, I would probably have reconsidered.

I don't know about other co-forumers attitude towards flaky cars, but I am psychologically marked for life by my early experiences :) I've been born and raised in an Eastern European country with a "national" car industry, and I've spent a significant part of my youth driving what was supposed to be a new car in and out of repair shops. Every time I took it out, I'd bet with my friends as to how long would take until I am back. The average was about 2 weeks. Then, I moved and discovered Japanese cars, and I was amazed to learn that the only reason to pop the hood for the life of the car is to refill the washer fluid. I kid you not, the only repair needed by one of them, during a 10 year period, was to replace an exhaust sensor, and the dealer apologized so much that I stared to feel embarrassed.

Now, it feels like I am back in the dark ages, I might start the "back to repair shop" counter again. The difference is that during the days of old, I was driving a $3,500 car (new car price), and the one we're talking about is a $60,000 one.

Let's wait and see.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having bought my XF new in April 08 and only driven 2300 miles I was astounded to find oil under the rear axle the week before Christmas. The car was taken to the dealer where they changed the near side drive shaft seal, all seemed ok, but, after a couple of days, and around 50 miles, it started to leak again. Once more back to the dealer and the seal was replaced again, afraid after only a few days back home the leak started AGAIN. This time it was taken back in and a new Diff fitted, so far so good, hopefully this will be the last of this problem.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Frankie said:
Having bought my XF new in April 08 and only driven 2300 miles I was astounded to find oil under the rear axle the week before Christmas. The car was taken to the dealer where they changed the near side drive shaft seal, all seemed ok, but, after a couple of days, and around 50 miles, it started to leak again. Once more back to the dealer and the seal was replaced again, afraid after only a few days back home the leak started AGAIN. This time it was taken back in and a new Diff fitted, so far so good, hopefully this will be the last of this problem.
Welcome to the forum Frankie :)
You have probably read about the difficulties that others have had with their " Duff Diffs" and it is to be hoped that your difficulties will be behind you now :)
If not, start here:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=265&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

It would be interesting to us all if you would add a little information about your location and car in your profile. Also, please record your colour choice at:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=593

And if you know yet; your favourite extra at:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=577

1 - 5 of 5 Posts