XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone explored the TMC function on the satnav? Does it re-route if there's a hold-up and does it show the cause of the hold-ups?

I find this function very useful in my current car and am hoping that it's implemented just as well in the XF.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I have not experienced a TMC event yet but this is what the system is meant to do.

USING TMC
Dynamic route guidance
Dynamic route guidance will calculate an alternative route to avoid a traffic event when
the system receives an event warning. The system calculates a new route for all
sections. However, if any way points are set, the system calculates for the next way point.
If the event on route is serious (closed road) or if the new route is shorter than the current one
and the current one was not recalculated within the last 5 minutes, then a message to confirm
the new route will be displayed. This pop-up message will be displayed for 10 minutes and
if the new route is not rejected, then the vehicle will follow the new route.

The TMC Event icons appear on the navigation map display to indicate the location and nature
of a TMC event. TMC Event icons will appear on the map, even if the event does not occur on your route.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have found on previously owned cars (BMW/Merc) that TMC is very useful. On the XF it is available all the time the navigation screen is on and not just during route guidance. If you set the range to up to 2 miles maximum, traffic events are visible which gives ample opportunity to find an alternative route if available. Plus it's good to know whats ahead if you are in a hurry!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Used the satnav properly today. It is superb. The TMC function was great as it tells about traffic problems further up along your route.

·
Registered
204 Posts
the TMC does offer you a re-route to avoid the 'delay' but dont always believe this intell. i find it usefull if the delay has made it to the radio RDS. but the cars system works really well and quite quickly when needed.
one thing i cant find, i had in my previous, is an actual list of the alerts in road number order, does anybody know if this is in the car, i cant find it in the manual. :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Handbook page 352.
The TMC Event icons appear on the navigation map display to indicate the location and nature of a TMC event.
TMC Event icons will appear on the map, even if the event does not occur on your route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts