XF Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I went to York to race XFRs and XKRs round Elvington Airfield and the surrounding area (not racing of course).

It was great.

Stratstone had laid the event on for free.

I got up to 168mph :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Cool, How did you enjoy the 2 cars? Which was the better one? I ask becaus I am gonna try the XKR demenstrator at my local dealers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I preferred the XFR from the XKR.

With the XFR you seemed more in control whilst the XKR was slightly more agile.

The XKR's roof (as is was a cabriolet) started making a squealing noise at around 145mph :twisted:

The R model's are definitely more fun but the extra expense and fuelling costs IMO cannot be justified and I can't see how you would get the extra enjoyment out of them in an everyday driving environment.

I also drove an XF 3.0D S and it was superb. It was quick, very smooth and quite.

I still got this up to over 160mph. :lol:

Not bad for a diesel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Impressive range on the pic :lol:
140 Miles on an almost full tank :eek:

·
Registered
216 Posts
dcsxf said:
The R model's are definitely more fun but the extra expense and fuelling costs IMO cannot be justified and I can't see how you would get the extra enjoyment out of them in an everyday driving environment.
i would have no problems with justifying an XFR purchase if i could afford it :) .

how had they set the place out - i'm guessing extra-long straight for the speed run, but was there a handling circuit as well?

i've done trackdays at Elvington several times which haven't used the full main straight, just a section, but there was sufficient space to wind a V8 S-type up to 135 before having to brake while the 3.0 XF could only hit 115. on the cornering sections though the XF easily hustled a civic-type R;)

12mpg is actually not bad for a trackday :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pro driver sat with me said that the current MPG was probably 6 or 7 as I was bombing it round.

We had a go on a dynamics course first and had to drive the car through a cone chicane, round some tight bends, through a bigger chicane and then slam on the brakes (it didn't half stop quick).

After that we went out onto the main runway to do a much bigger circuit and then every third lap or so we would pelt it up the main straight to the top of the runway, stop at the top marker and then just put the right foot through the floor until the pro driver said to slow down as we approached the main circuit again.

The pro driver was very knowledgeable and helpful in assisting me get the most out of the cars.

·
Registered
216 Posts
:cool:

i'd love to have had a go - actually last time my car was in for work the Dealer Principal said he'd get me on a trackday but that's never materialised. due a service soon so i'll badger him again :)

were you allowed to really push? - any slidey fun or offs? Elvington tends to be quite lowish grip with plenty of runoff so you can generally push harder than at a 'proper' track. it's really good for learning the handling of the car closer to the limits, though i wouldn't envy stratstones tyre bill afterwards, as the concrete surface does tend to chew rubber up :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was allowed to push the car as hard as I could.

Got tyre squeal going into some bends - I should imagine that the tyres don't last for very long at all; likewise with the breaks as we were slamming these on for the emergency stop on the dynamics circuit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts