XF Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading through the forums I notice a miriad of issues with various parts of the software of the touchscreen system. I have experienced a number of issues with mine from blank screens (leading to a reboot), bluetooth disconnecting, USB not reading the stick, and then not remembering what track it last played etc. etc.

I strikes me that there are still some bugs in the software as we see far too often with PC's, mobile phones, PDA's and now in our cars. It's a pity we can't download the updates from the internet and upload them using a USB stick. A trip to the dealer to get an update is really poor. It does beg the question as to whether the dealer will be charging for updates once the warranty expires?

Does anyone know who develops the software? Is this an in-house job at Jag UK??? How do you find out which version of the software has been installed?

·
Registered
247 Posts
The touchscreen software is developed by Denso and the whole system including Sat Nav (using NavTeq maps), Audio, Bluetooth, Climate, etc.. etc.. is incorporated. Denso develops similar systems for a number of manufacturers, but each manufacturer specifies bespoke options to integrate with their car. Therefore, the software for the XF is unique to Jaguar. The software is loaded, and hence upgraded, using files on the DVD loaded into the drive in the boot. It is possible to display the software version on the touchscreen but it uses a hidden menu to do so. It is not recommended that you do that yourself as you may end up killing the system by setting an incorrect option, so I should leave it to the dealer. It only takes a matter of seconds to display it so next time your car goes in ask them to tell you the version that you have and ask what the latest version is for your car.

The system software is supplied to dealers on a DVD and once loaded the dealers DVD can be removed and the customer Nav DVD can be re-installed. (This is how the Nav software was upgraded for a number of members on this forum). The latest Nav DVD's should also contain the latest software, and the latest NAV disks available for the XF are dated 2009 / 2010. If you install a Nav disk with a more recent version of software I understand that the system will perform an upgrade, but as I only have the Nav DVD's supplied with the car I am not able to verify this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts