XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi, though I would post this to see if, like the "flickering instrument panel when wipers are on", this is another XF-foible :)

Couple of times since getting the car (4months) when I have swithed on the vehicle (started engine) the SAT NAV is GREYED out - dead, no reposnse, but rest of touch screen is fine. Both times happened when coming from underground car park (which I use every day incidentally). Only fix was to stop - get out car - lock and unlock then re-start ( a re-boot essentially). Simply turning engine on/off when in car didn't cure it.

Sod's law that both times I had passengers in the car and so had to request they alight the vehicle........no, I couldn't wait as needed the SAT NAV to get to our meeting!

Am i alone in this one?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Re: SAT NAV Greyed OUT

Long shot and not sure how old your car is, but you could check the sat nav dvd hasn't accumulated a layer of fine dust which could be affecting it reading the disc? be careful if you do wipe it not to scratch it badly!

·
Registered
303 Posts

never seen this on my car. Have you tried re-calibrating the sat nav?
The manuall says that sometimes this may need to happen when on ferries and the awakens to a different location than it expected.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Hi,
Had the same problem on Saturday. It wouldn,t boot up from switching the engine on and off. But was OK after being parked up for a couple of hours. Though I had been through a mersey tunnel just prior. :?

Just put it down to being a gliche.

Might try Keith Halls suggestion if it reoccurs.

PS my car is 19 months old.

Hugh.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hi

Mine has done it a few times & when i mentioned it to the dealer they told me the following

The phone (i phone 3G3 & now I phone 4) i have paired to the bluetooth isnt 100% & can cause this to happen

when i questioned this & asked how.... i didnt really get an answer

·
Registered
30 Posts

I got in my car the other day and engine button didnt throb with light and the panel just flashed the jag logo. car started but no panel only flashing. Got out, locked the car, got back in and all ok ?

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hello all,

I just had this exact issue arise for me. I have a 2010 XF, now about 12 months old and it's the first time it's happened to me. The Nav selection was greyed out and it didn't return until I stopped the car, open and closed the door then restarted it. Like a "reboot" of the system.

I'm going to call the dealer to determine what the issue is with this. Obviously more than one of us has had this issue, it must be a software glitch. Also, as for the iphone being the cause (as mentioned earlier); I have a blackberry and still had this issue. Now it's the first time it's happened, so I'm hoping it's the last; but with any electronic fault; they tend to pop-up every so often.

G

·

My car's 3 months old. Once when I started it the satnav didn't boot up & it locked on the Jaguar logo. After a fuel stop it rebooted & has been fine since.

I've accepted the fact that it is just a computer & these things will happen from time to time. This has been the only 'blip' in 7000 miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I wonder if this is something to do with the GPS being unable to locate satellites as two of you mentioned either being in a tunnel or an underground car park. Perhaps the system checks for satellites at start-up and assumes that the GPS module is not fitted if it gets no response and therefore greys it out on the screen.

If this were the case one would hope that there is a way to make it scan again without having to get out and lock the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Main Display Screen Failure. Blank /Locked

'09 XF, driven one year and 58000 miles with no significant problems, display or otherwise. a week ago , as i was driveing, the display screen froze on the "Jaguar" logo. went off then came back on twice, then went back to normal display and opreation, yesterday when i started the car the "Jaguar" logo. started comeing on and off and has not stoped, there is No touch sensitivy, no home page, no screensaver (no audio, park warning, etc.) The HVAC appeared to respond to the manual controls, and the car drove normally otherwise. Turning ignition on/off and opening/closing the door had no effect. Its still frozen no reaction or no responce .
Anyone know of a cause for this problem?
more imp how or what do i need to do to fix this?
pls i am waitting

G

·
Re: locked display screen

Hi maingun

The frozen display screen problem has been noted a few times on the forum. Usually the problem clears after switching off & restarting. Since you have tried this & the problem is ongoing you need to take the car to your dealer.

·
Administrator
22,535 Posts
Re: Main Display Screen Failure. Blank /Locked

Welcome to the forum maingun :)
As Gemset has remarked the issues surrounding the main display screen have been discussed previously and your topic has been merged with one posted earlier.

G

·

maingun said:
any idas of what this could be?
As with any computer there will be dozens of reasons why it isn't working, anything from a faulty voltage regulator to corrupt software. Just take it to your dealer & let them sort it out.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I had the same problem on my 2 month old XF it turned out to be the ipod interface module that had failed had it replaced and has been fine since (touches Wood lol)

Jas

·
Registered
91 Posts
7" interactive screen failure

Today I took my XF into the local dealer to get the 7" screen checked. The Jaguar logo will initially appear then that will disappear and leave the screen blank. Occasionally the screen display will re-appear but not all functions on it will work. I inadvertently put the cool part of the seat on and then the display disappeared - yes the seat cooler stayed on!!!! Had to stop, switch off and start again, this seems to reset everything to 'normal' but the screen still does not appear. I was told they had only seen this on an XKR previously. Still not had an answer as they want the car for 2 days to investigate/cure and couldn't leave it there today. Anyone out there had the same/similar problem?

cheers
Onca

·
Registered
91 Posts

Have read all the previous posts re locking screen (thanks pekem for posting in relevant section). Have also locked the car etc. but this doesn't seem to work for me. When the solution is found by the dealer I'll post the answer, but don't hold your breath I can't get booked in until the end of this month.

cheers
Onca

·
Registered
7 Posts

Had a similar problem a couple of times. I usually leave screen on the Jaguar logo. Suddenly on its own accord the screen changes to the home screen and then every couple of seconds goes to the valet screen and then back to the home screen. It keeps doing this which as you can imagine is very annoying especially as it beeps every time it changes screen! Stopping and restarting cures it but the last time it happened I was on the M25 so unable to stop and restart. I found another cure - a flat handed thump just above the screen. Not sure a Jaguar engineer would sanction but it worked and the glitch has not reappeared :D

·
Registered
7,009 Posts

I have had this problem several times on the 2010 XFR, and only once in the 2009 XF-SC.

I can report that the "re-flash" service was just performed on my car, and the problem happened right on the dealer lot, post-reflash. The problem seems to happen, when I open the car, the close the door, to put something in the trunk or do something else, and then re-enter and start the car.

In my case it clears after turning off the engine, and turning the car back on.

Yes, I carry an iPhone 4 with me all the time, and I think there is some truth to it being related to the iPhone. I think (but not sure yet) that having wi-fi enabled on the iPhone makes this happen more often.

Either way, it is annoying. Primarily because it is winter here, and you can't turn on the seat and steering wheel heat with the screen frozen.

·
Administrator
22,535 Posts

baron95 said:
I have had this problem several times on the 2010 XFR, and only once in the 2009 XF-SC.

I can report that the "re-flash" service was just performed on my car, and the problem happened right on the dealer lot, post-reflash. The problem seems to happen, when I open the car, the close the door, to put something in the trunk or do something else, and then re-enter and start the car.

In my case it clears after turning off the engine, and turning the car back on.

Yes, I carry an iPhone 4 with me all the time, and I think there is some truth to it being related to the iPhone. I think (but not sure yet) that having wi-fi enabled on the iPhone makes this happen more often.

Either way, it is annoying. Primarily because it is winter here, and you can't turn on the seat and steering wheel heat with the screen frozen.
Fascinating Baron that you are also focussing on the iPhone/ iPod, did you have an earlier version of the phone when it did not happen :?:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts