XF Forum banner

Tinted windows on an XF adds to its beauty

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, two or three members have had their XF's Tinted. :?
I think all so far have been on Black cars. This is a procedure that is capable of arousing strong views and in order to discover the feeling generally I think that a Poll would be interesting. This will allow an opinion to be expressed which will not give rise to personal attacks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
There is no indifferent option ;) I don't LOVE them but I don't HATE them either.

If they're effective at keeping the strong sun (hahaha) off the interior at the rear then thats probably not a bad thing... :cool:

TBH if I did do it, it probably wouldn't be as dark a shade as in the photo above.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just out of interest does anyone know how much it costs to have rear tints done professionally?

·
Registered
281 Posts
No way, not ever, not in a million years.

Just my humble opinion of course :D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I would buy a Range Rover Sport if I wanted tinted windows.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I like tints; they can give the car a cleaner, meaner look (maybe why they are often used by car companies in their ads?), but I do not like the fact that you can't have them on the front (side) windows this makes them look a little odd perhaps.....had heard they were illegal as it was to help you see out, if that were true they'd ban sunglasses or is it just in the dark?.....methinks it's pro'lly to let the Law see in!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi, :D

Had my XF tinted few weeks ago and sorry think it lookes great...cost to have windows rear pillar of course was £371 can get cheaper but this people tint for BMW,JAGUAR ETC

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
I like tints; they can give the car a cleaner, meaner look (maybe why they are often used by car companies in their ads?), but I do not like the fact that you can't have them on the front (side) windows this makes them look a little odd perhaps.....had heard they were illegal as it was to help you see out, if that were true they'd ban sunglasses or is it just in the dark?.....methinks it's pro'lly to let the Law see in!
Actually it's to let anyone see in. Safety of other road users, especially pedestrians, requires that they be able to see you, particularly your eyes.

Did you ever wonder why humans have "whites of their eyes"? It's so that you can see not only the eyes of another person but also the exact direction those eyes are looking.

Rest assured that if window tinting were safe car manufacturers would have lobbied regulators to permit it.

Anything restricting your ability to see out of your vehicle or others to see in is more dangerous than it needs to be.

Smoked or clear tail light lenses are a similar fashionista item creating an unnecessary hazard as are oddly located or sized rear lights. Certain North American market VW products spring to mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tinted and no regrets..

Had mine done by local tinting firm that Jag main dealer dealer use and they charged £180 all in.

Had factory tint to rear and slightly lighter tint to the rear windows so as to avoid a big difference to front and rear windows from a side on persective,personal taste i suppose:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just out of interest does anyone know how much it costs to have rear tints done professionally?
I just had mine done by a company i have used for years and paid £120 as a long standing customer, they also do all the work for the local Jaguar dealership. Hope this helps.

I have always tinted my windows, 1. to keep the sun out of the passengers eyes (mainly my children), 2. to deter wanna be thief's and 3. as a security measure because if someone was to smash the glass, the film will hold it together better than it would had the film not been on the glass and 4. i personally like the appearance it gives the car, as long as they don't go limo black all the way around and actually grade the tints going around the car and gradually getting darker (personal choice).

Be careful of what your insurance company charges you for the modification also guys, as they love to find any excuse not to honour a claim, so your better off advising them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had my current car tinted, primarily because of our daughter who is in the back of the car. As for the cost, sorry but whoever paid £371 got mugged. £100 to £150 is much more the norm. Just try and find a few reviews of the place first.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Still can't make up my mind on whether to get this done or not , my last vehicle ( XL7 Jeep ) had them tinted and it was really good
at reducing glare/heat in the car....will think about it a bit longer

·
Registered
83 Posts
Still can't make up my mind on whether to get this done or not , my last vehicle ( XL7 Jeep ) had them tinted and it was really good
at reducing glare/heat in the car....will think about it a bit longer
Worse case, you have to take them off and you lost approx £100-£150 having them done :)

Dave

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had mine tinted especially for my two girls (3 and 5) always complaining about the sun on sunny days!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would buy a Range Rover Sport if I wanted tinted windows.
We have a Range Rover Sport and it came with tinted windows :)

Hi, :D

Had my XF tinted few weeks ago and sorry think it lookes great...cost to have windows rear pillar of course was £371 can get cheaper but this people tint for BMW,JAGUAR ETC
Far too much!

I had my current car tinted, primarily because of our daughter who is in the back of the car. As for the cost, sorry but whoever paid £371 got mugged. £100 to £150 is much more the norm. Just try and find a few reviews of the place first.
£100 is possibly a little light, £150-£200 is what I was quoted, I got them done for £170 in the end as I wanted a quick job. £370 is what I'd expect the main dealer to charge. Make sure that if you're getting them done, they remove the rear brake light. I saw a few pictures where someone had cut around it and it looked gash.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Tinted windows should only be on cars for two reasons:

1) You're a drug dealer
2) You can claim VAT back on the cost of your vehicle because it looks like a van.

·
Registered
233 Posts
but not on sportbrake.. - c'mon, admitt it ;)
Well OK..............

Tinted windows should only be on cars for three reasons:

1) You're a drug dealer
2) You can claim VAT back on the cost of your vehicle because it looks like a van.
3) It's a sportbrake

Now, what did the Romans ever do for us?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts