XF Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering a change. Much as I like the XF I am having a real problem adapting to a diesel, not impressed with the economy (but most of my journeys are very short), and the DPF thing is really annoying.
The XF was supposed to be the sensible buy and it is a nice, sensible car, comfortable and practical. Just dont think I can live with it (in diesel form) long term.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry, your point is?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steamdreamer said:
Sorry, your point is?
Not sure really. I was maybe hoping that someone might have gone through the same sort of misgivings and persuade me that it gets better thereby saving me from an expensive change. :(

·
Registered
171 Posts
The problem with the XF diesel is that it's quite a large complex beast and is never going to be suited to short journeys. Diesels take time to get up to temperature and it is only when that has been reached does the economy of them come to the fore.

Mine is still too new (just <1,000 miles) to work out how it's going to be in the long run but I've already worked out that substantial savings are to be had by turning the climate off and driving it in Sport/Manual.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
andrewll said:
Not sure really. I was maybe hoping that someone might have gone through the same sort of misgivings and persuade me that it gets better thereby saving me from an expensive change. :(
What do you do if you don't want............... :?: a Jaguar
That's the question Andrew :!: I think I am right in saying that you had your XK for only eighteen months :!:
What is it about you and Jaguars :?:
Start by asking yourself; "which car will I buy if I get rid of the XF"
Tell us all the answer to that question and I bet there will lots of comments about why that would be a bad choice :lol:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pekem said:
What do you do if you don't want............... :?: a Jaguar
That's the question Andrew :!: I think I am right in saying that you had your XK for only eighteen months :!:
What is it about you and Jaguars :?:
Start by asking yourself; "which car will I buy if I get rid of the XF"
Tell us all the answer to that question and I bet there will lots of comments about why that would be a bad choice :lol:
It's a bit complicated. Ideally I would like to stay with Jaguar (and my local dealer is great) but just dont know if I can live with the diesel. Will an XF 3.0S be any better? Should I consider a V6 petrol or a V8? Should I think about an XJ - plenty of good bargains to be had there at the moment? What about another XK?
Certainly dont want a BMW and not particularly keen on Audi (and I hear the local dealer is pants).
I only got rid of the XK because the wife wanted a smaller car, but now realises she cant manage without her X3, so the XF (being a larger car for family outings etc) switch was unnecessary really.
It's probably going to hurt whatever I decide. :cry:

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
I have a solution andrewll, one that will require a little effort from you and a very minimal extra cost :!:
Your main problem is centered around the DPF and the lack of heat generated by your very short journeys. Answer, get up a little early and take your car for a ride in the morning, perhaps over to Banbury and then via another road back again. It won't need a "giant leap" to imagine yourself like anyone else having to commute to the office and at the same time you will eradicate the DPF issue, albeit at a litle extra cost :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can seriously sympathize with you. I have had several Jags but wanted to get into the new wave of 21st century motoring and the XF seemed the answer. I lurked in this forum and other places getting all the info I could and eventually got a test drive but that's when it all went wrong.

Coming from V8 Jags to a diesel Jag is such an unexpectedly huge jolt. The car drives with grace but there's no fire in the soul, no beast to throw you up the road when conditions are right, no grrrr. Driving without that is a huge withdrawal. I departed my test drive in a quite depressed state as I realized that diesel motoring is a sane, alien world, no matter what the figures say on paper.

The XF is truly magnificent car and will no doubt improve Jaguar's fortunes, it's just not for everyone in diesel form and it sounds like you feel much like I do. I surrendered and bought another V8 Jag in the end.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Welcome to the forum XK Driver :)
I am not convinced that andrew11 would benefit on his 1.5 mile daily commute in anything as "rocket ship" like as your V8. :lol:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The 3.0D S should solve your problem Andrew. Take a test drive and be prepared to blown away. The power delivery and acceleration is fantastic, the improvement over the 2.7D unbelievable. After a couple of hundred miles I can honestly say the new engine is even more refined than the 2.7D.

·
Registered
3 Posts
pekem said:
Welcome to the forum XK Driver :)
I am not convinced that andrew11 would benefit on his 1.5 mile daily commute in anthing as "rocket ship" like as your V8. :lol:
Thanks pekem, this is a really great forum, I wish there was an equivalent for my car - sadly nothing as easy to use and good on the eye.

Whoops, I must have missed the 1.5 mile commute bit, I take your point.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I totally agree with Penultimateblack. I was a new adopter and bought my 2.7D blind but was always disappointed with the engine, particulary the dead spot when putting your foot down to overtake or pull out onto a roundabout etc.

Just taken delivery of my new 3.0D S and it's like it's a totally different car, in fact it's the one that should have been launched in the first place. It really is that good and a measure for most petrol engines. Take a test drive and be prepared to get your cheque book out!

Finally I also agree with Pekem - what else would you have, I've done the BMW, Audi, Porsche, Range Rover route and they all have a stigma that rubs off on the driver but people just like the Jag - nice :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think XK Driver has put it exactly right. The 1.5 mile commute is not the issue really - if it was just that then I should either get a Smart car or a Segway ! However it's the non commute bits that really depress, there is just no grunt like the V8. I take PenultimateBlack's (got to find a suitable abbreviation for this!) point about the 3.0S and may well arrange a test drive. Also considering one of the Spires remaps.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
andrewll said:
I think XK Driver has put it exactly right. The 1.5 mile commute is not the issue really - if it was just that then I should either get a Smart car or a Segway ! However it's the non commute bits that really depress, there is just no grunt like the V8. I take PenultimateBlack's (got to find a suitable abbreviation for this!) point about the 3.0S and may well arrange a test drive. Also considering one of the Spires remaps.
You won't be disappointed! :D :D

PB

·
Registered
38 Posts
andrewll said:
I take PenultimateBlack's (got to find a suitable abbreviation for this!)
PUB :) :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Guys,

Don't discount a change to the :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 4.2 V8

I love mine to bits--it is absolutely ace

My many BMW 5 series cars don't hold a candle to it

If you don't do many miles, then economy won't really be your worry will it-you won't be doing enoug miles to matter.

Get a 4.2 v8--you will love it

Nothing wrong with the 2.7d but the v8 is something else

Reecy

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm actually very impressed with the fuel economy, I've done just over 1000 miles and I find I'm doing 35+ mpg. And if I reset the trip computer for a motorway journey then I manage 41mpg.

Oooh... If only the 5.0L V8 was about ten thousand pounds less expensive! ;)

Andrew - If you like the car enough to be able to make these compromises, I'd keep it, if not, well, I guess.. there's no point having it... but I'd have it anyway. :)
I have a fairly short drive to work, too. Only 4-5 miles on a dual carriage way, but sometimes I just go out 'for a drive.' - so I havn't had any DPF problems.

Anyway I advise/hope you stay with the XF, whether you change model or not. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts