XF Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My S-type has 17inch wheels. I have seen a number of comments that larger wheels
give a less comfortable ride.
The smallest size available on the XF is 18 inch, but I am puzzled:
the standard wheel on the Luxury is the 18" Venus, but 19" and even 20" are options;
the standard wheel on the Premium Luxury is the 19" Carelia and only 19 and 20" are
listed as options.
Why is the 18" Venus not an option on the PL? Or is this possible, even if not listed?
For other reasons, I would want the PL.

Should I worry anyway? Would I really notice much difference:
1. from my S-type to either,
or 2. from the 18" to the 19" on the XF?

Or should I keep my S-type?

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Harwilk :)
All I can say is that the ride in the XF is really excellent and I think that you should not worry for one moment. I had an S Type and it never crossed mind that the ride in the XF was substantially different one way or the other on 18" wheels.
Call a dealer and arrange a long test drive in an XF and discover for yourself.
Maybe the venus wheel is still around and its absence from the brochure is because Jaguar have moved on. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Harwilk said:
My S-type has 17inch wheels. I have seen a number of comments that larger wheels
give a less comfortable ride.
The smallest size available on the XF is 18 inch, but I am puzzled:
the standard wheel on the Luxury is the 18" Venus, but 19" and even 20" are options;
the standard wheel on the Premium Luxury is the 19" Carelia and only 19 and 20" are
listed as options.
Why is the 18" Venus not an option on the PL? Or is this possible, even if not listed?
For other reasons, I would want the PL.

Should I worry anyway? Would I really notice much difference:
1. from my S-type to either,
or 2. from the 18" to the 19" on the XF?

Or should I keep my S-type?
Hi Harwilk

I had an S-Type with 16 inch whehels and moved to an XF with 18 inchers. I did notice a difference in the ride on 'local' roads but to be honest it is still comfortable and the XF is as good as the S-Type on main roads, motoways, etc. I then moved to a Portfolio with 20 inch wheels and IMO there was no appreciable difference.

I think you need to remember though that the XF is intended to be more 'sporty' than the S-Type so the ride will be different to what you are used to, however see if you can get an extended test drive for 24 hours and try it out for yourself... I don't think you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had a 2.7 S-Type on 17" wheels and now have an XF Premium Luxury on 19" Carelia wheels. All I can really say is that I'm very pleased with the ride and handling of the car.

The S-Type was good (better than some realise) but the XF is better. I don't think that you would be disappointed.

The Carelias are a bit of a pain to clean but in my humble opinion they go really well with the Radiance Red colour I chose. The more I look the more I like them.

The ivory interior with rich oak veneer is also something special, if you can afford the extra cost.

Best wishes...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have 20" wheels on my XF. I can't say ride quality is an issue, it's lovely. They don't get caught in the ruts on well worn motorways like the M4.
I don't doubt other manufacturers cars have a problem, but the XF tyre/wheel combination seems to be spot on.
Take one for a spin to see for yourself. You'll be surprised at the difference from the S-Type.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts