XF Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it is reasonable to say that XF drivers are good drivers and, therefore, safety conscious. In my opinion, having a safety camera system that warns the driver of approaching speed restrictions, black-spot zones and school crossings can only serve to enhance this already good standing. But which one is BEST?

I currently own an Origin B2 unit which, although old now, does the job pretty well. The trouble is it has wires out to the car's power systems, the GPS antenna and the, now illegal to sell, laser detector.

Considering the sheer beauty of the XF's interior, surely such a device would unduly impact the interior aesthetics?

So which would be the best safety camera system that would (A) do the job well and (B) maintain the XF's beautiful interior?

David.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
It will largely depend on the range of warnings and the level of convenience you require. :)

The Road Angel Professional Connect is not inexpensive, on a par with your existing Origin B2 and has similar features plus an O2 Sim Card built in to enable updates every two minutes and, if you wish, the ability to receive Texts.
Incidentally, I think that you are wrong about the legality of the Laser Alert, maybe true in Europe but not in the UK yet :!:
Road Angel do have a bolt on Windscreen Mounted Laser Sensor - £49.99

In there words:
"The Road Angel Professional Connected is the world’s only dedicated safety camera and blackspot alert device that uses mobile phone GPRS/GSM technology in order to automatically and wirelessly download updates to safety camera and blackspot locations as you drive – there is never any need to plug it into a PC!"

Below you can see how the Road Angel appears from the interior. It is mounted on a pad which remains in place when the device is removed for recharging etc.

Next is the view from the exterior.

Finally, a view from the inside when mounted on the cradle.
I have to say that I did not like the cradle because even though no wires are attached it still looks like a bolt on accessory

Read more about the system here: Road Angel

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great pictures, Pekem!

Must be mistaken on the laser detector, then, [mistakenly] thought there was some legislation passed earlier this year.

David.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Very impressive Peter, but as you say it is expensive plus almost £50 a year for updates after the first six months! You would soon be in the proverbial if you attempted to drive across France and Germany with that bit of impressive kit stuck on your windscreen. Inforad is a French company and Gendarmes have been known to congratulate British drivers they pull over on their good choice of Camera GPS.
My son's Inforad even works when in the door pocket of his TT. It's small enough to secrete anywhere and has an antislip ring at each end to stop it sliding around.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
penultimateblack said:
Very impressive Peter, but as you say it is expensive plus almost £50 a year for updates after the first six months! You would soon be in the proverbial if you attempted to drive across France and Germany with that bit of impressive kit stuck on your windscreen. Inforad is a French company and Gendarmes have been known to congratulate British drivers they pull over on their good choice of Camera GPS.
My son's Inforad even works when in the door pocket of his TT. It's small enough to secrete anywhere and has an antislip ring at each end to stop it sliding around.
So what are you saying John; the french and german police are nationalistic and will not allow the use of any other device :?:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Partly yes. The French are happy when we use their gismos and the German police do not like GPS camera alerters even though they may be legal. Stealth is the way to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been using the RoadAngel Professional Connected, like Pekem. I've just transferred it from an S-Type - where it seemed to work very well - to my XF where it seems to be a bit slower in reacting, possibly due to the acoustic laminated windscreen (I still don't know what that is). Also, it reads about 5 mph slower that the car's speedo - an issue I haven't resolved.

I chose the Professional Connected because it updates itself with camera data etc on the move so there's no need to update via PC (as well as the fact that I'm a Mac user and few speed camera detectors are Mac friendly). To my mind a camera detector needs to be 100% up to date. If you only make an effort to do this every week, say, then don't complain if a camera isn't in its data bank.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
IndigoIvory said:
I've been using the RoadAngel Professional Connected, like Pekem. I've just transferred it from an S-Type - where it seemed to work very well - to my XF where it seems to be a bit slower in reacting, possibly due to the acoustic laminated windscreen (I still don't know what that is). Also, it reads about 5 mph slower that the car's speedo - an issue I haven't resolved.

I chose the Professional Connected because it updates itself with camera data etc on the move so there's no need to update via PC (as well as the fact that I'm a Mac user and few speed camera detectors are Mac friendly). To my mind a camera detector needs to be 100% up to date. If you only make an effort to do this every week, say, then don't complain if a camera isn't in its data bank.
We could add to that the fact that the device is equipped with a hand set that enables the transmission of information of such hazards as the presence of a live " Safety Camera Van" or a "Black Spot" etc, to be added to Road Angel's main frame database instantly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just for clarity we should add that the RoadAngel has its own built-in battery which lasts about 4 hours - as you can see from Pekem's pictures. If the battery fails you can use the supplied cable to charge it from the car's 12V supply. Four hours is usually enough for me, apart from yesterday due to my extended sojourn on the M6.

I find that the charge leaks away fairly quickly if the RA is not used so would ensure that I charged it fully before a long journey.

I tend to sit mine on the dash and let the suckers hold it loosely on the windscreen. I think that you can get heavy bean-bag things on which you put satnavs and safety camera systems ie without any attachments. This might not be ideal if there were to be an accident.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bought myself a RoadAngel Professional Connected. I think it will be a handsome addition to my forthcoming XF and a welcome contributor to my defensive driving strategy....

Many thanks for all your help and advice.

David.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
tictag said:
Bought myself a RoadAngel Professional Connected. I think it will be a handsome addition to my forthcoming XF and a welcome contributor to my defensive driving strategy....

Many thanks for all your help and advice.

David.
You will not be disappointed with it; in no time you will wonder how you managed without one. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now all I need is an XF to put it in!!!!

;-)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
tictag said:
Now all I need is an XF to put it in!!!!

;-)
You could always stick it on your head and run around making brummmm brummm noises. :D :D :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know! Already tried that but my girlfriend, her daughter and my girlfriend's best friend just thought it was a step too far. I really didn't understand why..... ;-)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the RA Professional Connected. Just bear in mind that with the XF windscreen there is more of a delay in getting a true read-out than I saw with my S-Type, for example. Eg the RA shows less than true speed when accelerating and more when braking. I'm also occasionally getting drop-out, where the RA loses the satellite signal - which I never noticed before. The RAGroup said that I could buy an aerial to reduce the lag and drop-out but this is something I don't want to do for obvious reasons. In terms of accuracy both Jaguar and RAGroup say that at constant speed the RA is more accurate than the car's speedo.

I would also advise buying a bag to put it in. (You wouldn't want to drop it, and it fends off scratches.) Around £10 from RA website. Or use an old sock - or a new one, ftm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think that an old sock would be more appropriate as you only need one and you only get holes in one sock at a time. But getting back to the point, I bought a RA on the strength of the recommendations here. I’ve only had it a few days and think that it is a wonderful machine. The one thing that nags me is the fact that it flashes up previous locations for camera vans. I know that I can switch this feature off but I’m not sure that it wouldn’t be an advantage to keep it on for when I’m in unfamiliar territory. Another is the fact that with the RA situated in the centre top of the dash (as recommended) some of the information is a little small for easy reading. At the moment I’m testing it on my Camry and find that having it situated in the right corner of the screen is more suitable. I understand that my XF should have been built yesterday so I anticipate my collection date might be around 1st June, brought forward from 30th. Can’t wait, but I guess I’ll have too? I have arranged several distractions to take my mind off it during the coming weeks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Firstly, I feel that I can speak for all forum members in wanting to know what interim distractions you have arranged.

Secondly, my understanding is that RAGroup puts camera van locations etc on its database. If someone reports a van, then it is announced as "live", otherwise the RA just says "this is where a van can be located". I guess that until the police authority says that a location is no longer a potential van site (which seems unlikely) the location will remain on RAGroup's servers. I would not advise removing any of these sites.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts