XF Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone care to find a catch here or tell me what I have missed. :?:

Now, why would I be concerned about the fact that my dealer suggested to me that my rear pads were 70% worn, if I can just pop along to Quick Fit have them test my brakes and report in writing. They go on to say that if pads etc are required they will fit them, at a cost, and continue to fit them, if required for as long as I own the car free of charge :!:
Have I read that wrongly :?:

Kwikfit actually say:

Free brake check
The examination includes the digital measurement of wear on brake pads, shoes, brake discs and drums against the manufacturer’s specifications. The aim is to provide the best possible advice to help you restore the condition and efficiency of your braking system to as near the manufacturer’s original specification as possible. Kwik Fit Brake check takes around 45 minutes to complete and the result of this examination is recorded on a written brake report together with a quote for any required work.

Lifetime guarantee
To ensure your brakes are always at their best, we offer a unique brakes lifetime guarantee. Once you have pads or shoes fitted at Kwik Fit, the replacement of these parts when they wear out is absolutely free to you, as long as you own the car."

They also say:
"Terms and conditions may apply, ask the centre manager for details."

http://www.kwik-fit.com/free-brake-check.asp

·
Registered
247 Posts
Re: Terms & Conditions, Legal Gobledegook. Seems clear to me!

Looks clear to me too Pekem. As it's a free check you've got nothing to lose anyway to get the check, even if it's just to confirm what the dealer said. On other cars I have owned I have never bought tyres or brake pads from the dealer and have always used outlets similar to KwikFit so the offer looks good to me. When the time comes for me to get new pads I hope the offer is still on! Did you get a price from the dealer for the work? It would be interesting to know the price from KwikFit also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Be careful !

I used quickfit for brakes on my last car (Honda). Yes they would offer lifetime replacement of parts but charge for fitting. This in itself is not a problem apart from the fact that the parts were of such poor quality that I ended up getting back onto official manufacturer parts asap. The discs went rusty on the hubs and as a result spoilt the look of the car. The braking surfaces just generally looked nasty and pitted. The pads also gave out a huge amount of dust. I suppose there is no incentive to provide high quality long lasting materials as they want your servicing charges.

I pick up my XF in 2 days - Things are going to have to get pretty bad before I resorted to Kwikfit again.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
smcgrego said:
Be careful !

I used quickfit for brakes on my last car (Honda). Yes they would offer lifetime replacement of parts but charge for fitting. This in itself is not a problem apart from the fact that the parts were of such poor quality that I ended up getting back onto official manufacturer parts asap. The discs went rusty on the hubs and as a result spoilt the look of the car. The braking surfaces just generally looked nasty and pitted. The pads also gave out a huge amount of dust. I suppose there is no incentive to provide high quality long lasting materials as they want your servicing charges.

I pick up my XF in 2 days - Things are going to have to get pretty bad before I resorted to Kwikfit again.
Well I did say "Anyone care to find a catch here or tell me what I have missed." :eek:
And it seems smcgrego that you have indeed found the catch, thank you :)
Obvious now that you have pointed it out. Ah well! they do say there is no such thing as a free lunch :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
There is never such a thing as a "free lunch", otherwise they would go out of business! I don't blame you asking at all Pekem but my suggestion is just one word... avoid :!:

·
Registered
247 Posts
That's a bit sneaky charging you for fitting when they state..

... the replacement of these parts when they wear out is absolutely free to you, as long as you own the car...

I don't think I will bother with Kwik Fit after all especially as it appears they use inferior parts. Thank you for pointing these things out smcgrego.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It does seem a good idea but it is the same idea as a supermarket offering a cheap deal on a product.Its just to get you in there and then oh did you know you require tyres,your dampers are weak etc.If they werent going to make money at it then like everyone says they would go out of business.Quailty of the part iseems it could be an issue and they dont seem to state that they are to the same as OE.Also it is in their interset if pads wear out quicker to get you back as it is another chance to sell you something.

·
Registered
618 Posts
There are two catches Pekem -

1) they charge you a "fitting cost" to fit the future free pads
2) the offer only stands if your car travels what they deem a normal mileage (10-12k) per annum. Once you go beyond that you are on your own.

Basically these offers gamble on the fact that you will keep your car for a couple of years and then at worse (for them) will only require one more set. The only people who really gain are those that keep their cars for absolutely ages.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts