XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just taken delivery of a new XF 3.0DS. Very happy with it.

B&W sound system is great, but when I try to adjust the subwoofer, I don't notice any difference.

Anyone else notice the same thing?

·
Registered
319 Posts
You may have a problem there, when i first tried it on my 2.7 PL , i had to have the front & rear screens re-fitted. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sodgob. When you mention front and rear screens, is this on the SW?

I'll check it with the dealer, but not sure I can really prove anything.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think Sodgob is saying (tongue in cheek) that when he tried his subwoofer, it was so powerful, it causing the windscreen to pop-out.

Based on this you should be able to notice whether yours is on or off!

·
Registered
403 Posts
One track everyone should have in their XF is Feeders Buck Rogers.

1st Verse......

"He's got a brand new car
Looks like a Jaguar
It's got leather seats
It's got a CD player (player, player, player...)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TataYXStVr8

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried with the bass up full. When I adjust the subwoofer I don't hear any noticable difference. I can hear the bass out of the other speakers no problem. :cry:

·
Registered
618 Posts
The bass setting does not change the subwoofer. There is a seperate setting and you have to move down to the second screen to access it.

To test the subwoofer you do need something with lots of variation in deep tones so the suggestion of some rap or r+b was very relevant.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Try "Bonkers", its on the new Now 73, first track, cd 1, that's a bass tester without having it loud enough to make your ears bleed!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just been back to the Jaguar garage - turns out there was a loose connection to the sub-woofer. Working perfectly now. :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
I found that adjusting the sub-woofer setting does not seem to make any noticable difference to the sound, although it is clear that the thing is working.

I think the system is very well tuned and the adjustment provided makes subtle changes rather than big ones which is in line with the quality of the system. The type of low end frequencies put out by the Sub are much more difficult to detect and some of them are 'felt' rather than heard. Try operning the boot while it is playing and listen to the sound it produces, it seems very muffled, however the impact it has on the overall sound inside the car is significant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks iceman. When I took it to the Jaguar garage, we did in fact open the boot and also the cover for the spare wheel - the SW is underneath the spare wheel. It was at this point we noticed it wasn't doing anything. The technician then noticed there was a loose connection which was sorted in seconds.

All working now.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I think I may have the same problem - when I turn the subwoofer setting from min to max I don't notice any difference. Time to go and have a look in the boot..............

·
Registered
628 Posts
Maybe this car will be sorted out within the next few years! More than 1 person with this issue? Its either a badly designed connector or bad QA/QC.

·
Registered
505 Posts
update: I put my head in the boot with a CD playing and the subwoofer seems to be working (and I can see a connector that is clealry plugged in). With my head in the boot I can also notice a difference between the min and max subwoofer settings but it's a fairly subtle and is almost unnoticeable from the driver's seat. Can others hear a difference? (perhaps I have cloth ears!)

Re-reading this thread I think my findings are in line with Iceman's.

Despite this, overall I find the sound to be excellent - today I was in the car myself so cranked the volume up and it seemed beautifully balanced and well judged - much like the rest of the car!

·
Registered
303 Posts
jagseven. Patience yields excellent results with the B&W system.
I found mine went through phases. This is perfectly normal with high end components, particularly the kevlar drive units. I experienced a boomy phase where bass was too pronounced, a shrieky phase where the high end was over the top.
I can't remember how long it took but one day it was just right.
Stick with digital sources, DAB, I-pod, USB or preferably CD and it'll soon come good.
I don't know your musical tastes, but if you want to give the sound system a workout, try Massive Attack, Faithless, Linkin Park or Prodigy. All are well produced and will get the system singing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Has anyone found any music which does the B&W Pro Logic II system justice ?

The only PLII MP3 tracks I have found are wacky whale-music type things done by Norwegian tree-hugging lesbians.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts