XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: ouch. I have just been polishing my beloved and there are about 15 stone chips on the bonnet, most of them on the very front edge or about 25mm in. they will not polish out at all. the paint looks to be very soft, has anybody else noticed this yet. :?: my colour is Liquid Silver.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Stone chips are a fact of life with modern cars. The paint used it water-based so is not as resilient as the old solvent-based paints. This is one reason why I detail all my cars and put two coats of carnauba wax on as soon as possible.

If the stone chips are very small you could ask a company like Chipsaway to touch them up for you.

For future protection you wash your car, polish it with something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish and then coat it with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. This will give you some stone chip protection. The Autogylm Extra Gloss Protection will last six months.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my last car an Audi A6 had done over 90,000 miles and there were a few stone chips, a fact of life they are.
but i have only done 4K, it will be interesting to see if anybody else gets this problem, i know the bonnet is aluminium and this is always difficult to paint. when the car was 2 days old I Supagard'd it myself, as i have done many times in the past. since then i have waxed it with the Autoglym about 6 times, lost count to be honest, but i love to do it. the lines of the car are becomeing very seductive - ok i will stop right there.
if its just my car then i will take it on the chin and just say, bloody stone chips, lets see what transcribes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you ever tried Paint Shield? I had it on my last A6 on the bonnet, wings, spoiler and wing mirrors and after 40k miles I sold the car without a mark on it. Costs about a grand for the full front end but you can get a limited application for a few hundred. They are based near Grantham and do loads of fezza's and porkers (even the official fleet cars I believe) - certainly worth checking out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Front bumper and hood protection - Nano-Fusion

Anyone have experience with clear protection for the front of the car? I've read about nano-fusion from Avery Dennison Paint Products. Had my 11 XF for a week and have a small chip and scratch on front from the wonderful salt on our northeast raods. Thinking about putting this or similar protection on the car.Any experience, comments, advise out there?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Roma said:
Stone chips are a fact of life with modern cars. The paint used it water-based so is not as resilient as the old solvent-based paints. This is one reason why I detail all my cars and put two coats of carnauba wax on as soon as possible.

If the stone chips are very small you could ask a company like Chipsaway to touch them up for you.

For future protection you wash your car, polish it with something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish and then coat it with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. This will give you some stone chip protection. The Autogylm Extra Gloss Protection will last six months.
no wax or sealant will stop stone chips, the only solution is paint protection film. If you are interested in such then I can highly recommended the guys at PaintShield -best in the business when it comes to applying PPF and do not use cheap film like some installers out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts