XF Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is comming up for 12 montsh old now, and I have noticed over the last few weeks with the hot weather how bad my air con smells, It's a urine type smell that reminds me of visiting the elephant house at the zoo as a kid!, it passes after a few minutes, but it's certainly unpleasant on start up on a hot day.

Anyone else suffering from it, have any ideas?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to be fixed, after doing a bit of internet searching I did the following:
1. Left the car ticking over with the air con on recirc, all vents open, full fan & full heat for 10 minutes to completely dry it out.
2. Ran the air con on normal, with full fan, all vents open, then sprayed about 1/4 can of Detol surface disinfectant spray into the vets under the windscreen.
3. Ran the air con on full fan, recirc, all vents open and sprayed another 1/4 around both foot wells, shut the doors quick and let it run for about 10 minutes.

After that left the windows open for 10 minutes to let the 'fresh mountain' aroma I think they called it out.
Seems to have worked fine with completely smell free air con right now, all for about 1/2 a £3 can of Detol spray, did the same to my wife’s ML Mercedes with the same effect. Much cheaper than a garage charging you £20-30 for doing the same thing.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Well that is good news and as you say a less expensive treatment than that offered by a garage :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts