XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone... my first post! I've been looking at the XF rather closely for the last week or so after visiting my local dealer. After a couple of test drives I want one! I don't think I can stretch to the cost of a new one although I am still trying to juggle the figures! 2.7d Pre-reg cars or cars in stock are available with discounts, but the discounts don't seem good enough to me when you consider the future value when it is time to change again. No discounts yet found on the new 3.0d. I guess I will keep a look out for a year old model that would be within reach, that way I think its future value would be compromised less compared with a 2.7 registered in 2009. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
216 Posts
i think you're probably looking at things along the right lines.

a year-old car will likely represent the best vfm, as you don't have that initial hit of depreciation.

you've got to be sure that you can live with having the 'lesser' engine and older model. put a private plate on and no-one will know the difference, and you'll just have to press the accelerator a little harder.

i bought a year-old ex-jag car. when i specced up an equivalent new model on the website the depreciation worked out about 30% :eek:

i'd have thought there'd be some bargaining to be done on the demo cars too though;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your thoughts. The demo PL car in my local dealership was priced at £36K. This was higher than the unreg 2.7 PL at £34K. The explanation was that it had more options on it (even though it was nearly 4 months old). Guess I will have to sit on my fence for longer until more 'year old' examples appear! My heart says 'go for the new 3.0d PL, but my head keeps questioning the cost! My biggest problem is that now I have driven the XF and looked at it closely I don't fancy a BMW 5 or Merc E any more!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bob for the advice. I will keep an eye on that site. Also, if anything comes up in my local dealer network they will call me. In fact that's why I had a second test drive as someone had traded one in! Unfortunately they wanted £33.5K for it, which just seems too close to the new price for my liking. Anyway I've got the brochures and if nothing comes up in the next month or so I will take the plunge and order a Black 3.0d PL with Charcoal interior... and after reading the posts on here I will add the front Park aid with camera!

·
Registered
306 Posts
It might be interesting to see what happens to the prices charged for used XFs in the next couple of months - there may be some bargains (relatively speaking) to be had. I would certainly add a recommendation for the camera pack.

Can I ask you if you would consider an ivory interior? All down to taste but it makes the interior even more stunning in my humble opinion.

I certainly wouldn't choose a Beemer five or Mercedes E-class. I looked at both and was unimpressed with the latter, whilst the BMW dealers were way off the pace financially. Both of those cars are now old models that are due to be replaced in the next 12 months or so - they will take a far bigger hit on depreciation than the XF.

Whatever you choose, my best wishes to you.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
AndyB said:
Thank you for your thoughts. The demo PL car in my local dealership was priced at £36K. This was higher than the unreg 2.7 PL at £34K. The explanation was that it had more options on it (even though it was nearly 4 months old). Guess I will have to sit on my fence for longer until more 'year old' examples appear! My heart says 'go for the new 3.0d PL, but my head keeps questioning the cost! My biggest problem is that now I have driven the XF and looked at it closely I don't fancy a BMW 5 or Merc E any more!!
Welcome to the forum AndyB, :)
I am sure you will satisfy your heart’s desire in no time at all.
If you are able to sustain a closed wallet policy through to the end of February you will deserve the admiration of the hardest hearted banker in the land. However, a relentless campaign will begin soon to sell you a new XF in the press, TV and that greatest motivator of all, self desire :lol:
It occurs to me that we have a For Sale and Wanted forum viewforum.php?f=36
and before members seek a trade in deal, maybe a buyer could be matched with a seller :?: Can't promise a deal as stunning as DeKay's but who knows; we are in strange times.
If anyone wants a one owner 2.7 PL in Botanical Green with 12500 on the clock and with over two years warranty remaining for £35,000, step this way ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the offer Pekem! I had a couple more offers from the dealers over the last day or so... don't know how long this fence will support me! Just a quick question here which came about from different options on available cars... Does the B&W system include a 6 CD changer and the IPod / USB interface? The brochure says that there is only a single CD if the 'Portable Media Interface' is specified?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yes, it does say that, I remember. My vehicle, with B&W, definitely has the 6 slot CD player and the ipod connectivity.
Martin.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the confirmation Martin. That means you must go for the B&W if you want the 6 CD plus Ipod connector and USB socket. Otherwise you have the choice of 6 CD with no Ipod/USB or Single CD with Ipod/USB. I guess that's logical.... if you want everything you pay more cash!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sitting on the fence any more!... I've gone and done the deed on an unreg car that my dealer had in stock. It is a 2.7PL in Lunar Grey with charcoal interior, Carelia alloys and parking camera pack. In the end I had the choice of a few different cars with various options but after looking at the actual cars themselves today I chose this particular colour. The bonus for me is that it was already fitted with my favourite wheels, the Carelia, and the must have parking pack. How many days is it until March 1st?

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant :)
Great and sensible choice, you are going to be so happy on March 1st, which is by the way about 550 hours away. Now try and concentrate on your work :twisted:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I brought 3 weeks ago a ex demo 2.7 LP with rear camera, crome vents and Sun Blind, I to decided not to wait for the 3.0, although ive got 4K on clock, I got the car for less than 30K.

i thought this was a good deal, my dealer said in a years time he will ring me for a trade up to the 3.0

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
crispy said:
I brought 3 weeks ago a ex demo 2.7 LP with rear camera, crome vents and Sun Blind, I to decided not to wait for the 3.0, although ive got 4K on clock, I got the car for less than 30K.

i thought this was a good deal, my dealer said in a years time he will ring me for a trade up to the 3.0
Welcome to the forum crispy :)
Really good to read that you have joined the club.
You don't say what colour etc your car is and also it would be good to see some pictures at some time.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the comments Pekem, Slickfingers and Crispy. While you three are enjoying your cars, I'm passing the time reading the manual!!! Just got to the bit about 'Winter Mode'. Has anyone tried it out recently I wonder? Also read the bit about what oil to use for top ups although I hope I don't have to do this too often! Looks like a Ford spec oil according to the web, which I'm not surprised about. Do you guys just buy a small top up bottle from the dealers or go for something else?

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
AndyB said:
Thanks for the comments Pekem, Slickfingers and Crispy. While you three are enjoying your cars, I'm passing the time reading the manual!!! Just got to the bit about 'Winter Mode'. Has anyone tried it out recently I wonder? Also read the bit about what oil to use for top ups although I hope I don't have to do this too often! Looks like a Ford spec oil according to the web, which I'm not surprised about. Do you guys just buy a small top up bottle from the dealers or go for something else?
AndyB,
I might be criticised by many, and I am old enough to remember being told to check the oil, water and tyres daily, but I have to confess that I have only looked under the bonnet once, and that was when the salesman showed me where the bits and pieces were at the time of the car being handed over last year, and so as you can imagine, I do not carry any oil of any amount. :oops:

·
Registered
294 Posts
What you do is ignore the lot of us and have whatever the hell YOU want! :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have used the Winter mode several times (live in Germany). Seemed to work fine until I parked in c carapark where no one had driven over the snow. I had to get pushed out!!! Cannot say that I am keen driving with the XF in adverse conditions like you guys in UK are suffering.

On the oil question - Been driving for 7 months and not had to add any oil. Best check it out!! Although when I dipped it last month, it was fine. I know that some new diesel engines do burn quite a lot. I had a passat a few years ago which went through 2 litres before its first service!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts