XF Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, have a slight steering wheel shake when braking this is the only place it is evident i.e. car does not shake at all. Absolutely no pulsing in the pedal. Pads and discs changed 15 to 16k ago but just over two years ago now. Brembo's al round.
Rear pads could do with a change now i think.
Would have thought that if it was to do with brakes I would feel something in the pedal when braking.
Anyone any experience of this type of fault and cause?
Cheers in advance...

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
In the absence of any other suggestions I would certainly have the wheels and tyres checked, pressures and balance.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thanks. All good points but forgot to mention that all pressures and balancing checked and done twice over recent months with wheels swapped about front to rear. Needs new rear tyres getting done Tuesday. Theres a few K left in them yet but getting done anyway and new tyres will be put to the front. Has Dunlop Sp 01's all round at mo.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Would have thought that if it was to do with brakes I would feel something in the pedal when braking.
I can tell you with 100% confidence that rotor deposit/excessive-run-out/"warp" on XF will absolutely manifest itself as steering wheel oscillations/vibrations first and not at all (or at least not until it gets much worse) on brake pedal. So it is absolutely brakes - specifically front brakes.

You can try this. Follow a bed in procedure - ˜5 moderate brake application 60MPH-20MPH to warm the brakes. Drive for ˜4 minutes, then 10 hard brake applications (at least 70MPH to 20MPH in rapid successions). Drive without touching brakes for 10 min. If you are lucky, that will clear any deposits from your front rotors. And make it better. Else, you will have to change rotors.

Other things to check, off course, is that the wheels are properly mounted (flat on the hub, with no rust/deposits between wheel and rub) and properly torqued lug nuts (star patter and specified torque values).

But 90% chance it is some uneven deposit on your rotors.

Been there, done that on all 3 of my XFs. Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Think I may just change the discs and pads all round again. Just to be sure.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Always the way with most cars unless you have fancy calipers with pistons on both sides

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well new set of pads, discs and wear senor, fitted. All surfaces that mate together cleaned. Seems to have done the trick. Pads less than half worn and discs still like new. Go figure!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The shaking/shuddering you are feeling is due to your brake rotors (the discs the brake pads latch onto) either needing skimming or replacing. Replacing your pads will mask the symptoms until they wear down in quite a few cases, but the shuddering will reemerge again after this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts