XF Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have some steering issues and wondered if anyone else has had the same
As you are aware the XF has speed sensitive steering which firms up as you gain speed and then goes light when a lower speeds

My car seems to remain fairly light at all speeds and when changing lanes on the motorway it feels like a floating experience rather than a nice postive feel

I have had 4 wheel alignment done, check over by the dealer on the steering and they find no fault
I swapped my car for a demo XF yesterday and drove it up the M6 and straight away I noticed the demo car reacted differently and the steering was more positive than my own vehicle - my wife also agrees
We are now trying another option and that is we have exchanged all 4 tyres on my car for those on the demo - I have yet to drive the car at speed to check but has anyone else had any problems :?:

·
Registered
193 Posts
vapourgreyxf said:
My car seems to remain fairly light at all speeds and when changing lanes on the motorway it feels like a floating experience rather than a nice postive feel
Yep - very light steering at low speeds or when parked.

Mine does feel more positive at higher speeds - although not as good our Beemer. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well the steering on my car is fantastic, and I've driven a lot of BMWs. Also, the press rave about the steering so I'd suggest there is something amiss with both your cars. As to what it is...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am sure that you will have checked your tyre pressures?

I havent had this problem myself but I do find that the car is easily deflected off-line (if you hit standing water for instance) and tends to 'tram line' on rutted roads.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
andrewll said:
I am sure that you will have checked your tyre pressures?

I havent had this problem myself but I do find that the car is easily deflected off-line (if you hit standing water for instance) and tends to 'tram line' on rutted roads.
Is you car fitted with Pirelli's Andrew?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I swapped my car for a demo XF yesterday and drove it up the M6 and straight away I noticed the demo car reacted differently and the steering was more positive than my own vehicle - my wife also agrees

Now then Vapour Grey, do I remember you commenting that Pekem allowing his wife to drive the XF was 'quaint' ?? :lol:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
andrewll said:

Now then Vapour Grey, do I remember you commenting that Pekem allowing his wife to drive the XF was 'quaint' ?? :lol:
I don't think it was me, was it?

andrewll said:
Yep Pirellis
I had 18" 245/.255 Pirelli P Zeros on my previous car, a "classic" XKR and it tramlined at every opportunity. My XF with 18' 245 Dunlops does not suffer from the problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I find the steering very light at all speeds, althought it is firmer at higher speeds. However, I had a Boxster before which, like most German marques including my previous 5 series, have firmer steering across the speed range. I've got used to it now, but I would prefer it to be firmer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts