XF Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
I have an XF V8, and to my astonishment, me and a friend of mine with a Lexus I.S V6 tried a a standing start-off and every time, his car would have a much faster response, even thou i am driving a V8 and his car is only V6. we tried this with Sport mode both manual and Auto... is their anything i can do to get a better standing start.

Also when on manual mode via sport program, the car will automatically shift gears when reaching a high RPM.. even thou the manual states that in sport program, manual mode will not force the gearbox to shift gears and the instrument panel will instruct that the next gear should be chosen

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated

Thanks again

Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Slow Standing start?

Well, I can only suggest you should have bought the SV8 :mrgreen:

·
Registered
618 Posts

How are you executing your standing start? are you simply putting it into drive or first and flooring it or are you doing a proper racing start with both feet?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

HI,

I put the car into sport mode, then i switch the gear into manual, and then i select the first gear, and then i floor it ...

is this right, or am i doing something wrong?

cheers

·
Vendor
561 Posts

Having done performance testing on our XF is became pretty clear that if you just push the throttle it was slow to get off the line and wouldn't get anywhere near Jaguar's claimed 0-60 times. What was needed was to build revs whilst holding the car on the brake and then releasing, it shot off the line with this technique. Not something you want to be doing that often though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks ....i am not really a racer, nor do i abuse the car in any way .. i just wanted to try it out and check how will is my V8 engine preforming .... Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate it.
another question please ... is there an engine map for the XF V8?

Thanks again

Cheers

·
Registered
618 Posts

OK Gaz this is how you do a racing start.....

Put your foot on the brake
select manual and put it into first
with your left foot on the brake put your right foot hard on the gas until you are in the middle of the power band (about 4k rpm)
hold it for a second or so
snap your foot off the brake and prepare to hurl forward

Dont do this often though as you will kill the gearbox

Cars that are designed to do this regularly have a launch control mode (like the Porsche Cayman S for instance) and you simply press the launch button left foot on brake, right foot to the floor and then snap off the brake.

·
Registered
618 Posts

The key thing is to not tell your mate and leave him wondering why he is lagging behind :lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
0-62 launch technique for best times

What is the best way? Foot on brake, 1000 RPM or so, dynamic sport in 1st and manual?
And what is the real 0-100kph time?
Rgrds

·
Registered
404 Posts
To the first poster - in manual mode it won't change up automatically. You have to select Sport and then switch on Dynamic mode as well. It will change up automatically in just sport.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i dont have dynamic mode!!!!.. the 2009 model did not have dynamic mode, only in the super charged

·
Registered
319 Posts
I do hope your car will not be coming in my direction second hand anytime soon. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts