XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but the forum search facility doesn't allow the word "dog". I need to replace my XF saloon with an estate, and obviously the Sportbrake is in the frame. Dog transport is one reason for the change, but I also need to transport long, flat loads with the rear seats folded down.

Anyway, the question is - does anyone have a dog guard fitted to their Sportbrake? If so, does it extend right down to the floor or just cover the gap between the top of the seats and the roof? The Jaguar "luggage guard" extends from floor to roof but the "ski hatch" looks to be just that, just a small hatch in the centre. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Finally, if anyone is horrified at the prospect of letting a muddy dog into the back of a Sportbrake, I have seen Don Baldry's 6.0L V12 XJS-based Lynx Eventer and met the large Golden Retriever which inhabits the immaculately-trimmed load space!

Mark

·
Registered
277 Posts
You could try using a dog travel crate.There are quite a few on the market that are easily folded to be removed when you need that extra load space.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I only have a small dog, a coton de Tulear, but it can really collect some dirt. I have tried to bring blankets and towels to protect the seat. Unfortunately leather is slippery, and dogs walk around to prepare their sleeping place. The result is, that the blanket or towel is pushed away. Fortunately leather is very easy to clean. It doesn't attract dirt or suck humidity. A good vacuum and a damp cloth is normally fine for cleaning after the dog. So no reason to get horrified.

If you want to see my little dog, search for "What is "Beauty" thinking?" She's not pretty on that picture, I know. But cars and dogs are not just for show. They should be used as well.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
But cars and dogs are not just for show. They should be used as well.
I know how to use the car - but how do you use your dog :confused::D

And back on Topic: On the german site Jaguar offers 3 types of covers for the load-space in the sportbrake. A "mat", something they call a "tub" and a "watertight loadspace cover". One of these should be ok when having a dog in the back. .... and yes, the ski hatch is a hatch in the center making it possible to load things through while the seats are still upright. It also includes a cover to guard/cover the parts sticking into the passenger area.

·
Registered
95 Posts
.... and yes, the ski hatch is a hatch in the center making it possible to load things through while the seats are still upright. It also includes a cover to guard/cover the parts sticking into the passenger area.
Whoa... just spotted that, TheGerman: what's this about a cover for the parts sticking through into the passenger compartment? I've got the ski hatch, but not got one of those covers... want one... Is it something that should have been supplied with the ski hatch, or is it an option I need to order?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
What's this about a cover for the parts sticking through into the passenger compartment? I've got the ski hatch, but not got one of those covers... want one... Is it something that should have been supplied with the ski hatch, or is it an option I need to order?
It´s integrated into the hatch and should be standard. Here is a picture of it on mine

ski-cover-3.jpg

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies so far. I currently have a fabric crate on the back seat of my XF saloon, but now we have two dogs it is a bit cramped for anything other than short journeys.

I am thinking that the best solution might be a proprietary dog guard which attaches to the rear headrest supports - at least for everyday use. For holidays, we could transfer the Lintran crate from my wife's Yeti.

For work purposes, the long loads I carry are either combination ladders or large leaded/stained glass panels, both of which would need most of the load area width. So I think the ski hatch would be of limited use. Any other contributions gratefully received!

Mark

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hmm - looks very different from mine. Worse still, I think yours is bigger :oops:. I suspect it's because the boot floor in the sportbrake is higher than in the saloon. It means the aperture is much smaller which, ironically, is a problem if you're carrying skis - I can't fit our two pairs of skis through if they're in a skibag. I do wish Jaguar would mention when they change things... Warning to others - don't assume the sportbrake ski-hatch is the same size as the one on the saloon (I will check when I'm next at the dealer).
ski hatch sportbrake.jpg

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
H... Worse still, I think yours is bigger :oops:. I suspect it's because the boot floor in the sportbrake is higher than in the saloon. It means the aperture is much smaller which, ironically, is a problem if you're carrying skis - I can't fit our two pairs of skis through if they're in a skibag. I do wish Jaguar would mention when they change things...
Yep, it does look smaller. However, it should still have the "cover" to prevent the wet and dirt getting into the passenger area I think. After all, it is called a SKI hatch ;). Not a very good move if they removed that from the Sportbrake.
I always had a ski hatch, including a few 7 series sedan and two 5 series touring BMW. All of them had that cover.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Or you could buy a Volvo V70 which has a substantial net which raises from behind the rear seat to the roof. (It can still be used with the seats folded - with difficulty). It's one of the few things I miss, having exchanged the V70 for the Sportbrake! Perhaps Jaguar will look again at the practical expectations of estate car owners. Having said that, the V70 simply doesn't have the "wow" factor of the Sportbrake and I'm sure you wouldn't regret going for the latter.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I know how to use the car - but how do you use your dog :confused::D

And back on Topic: On the german site Jaguar offers 3 types of covers for the load-space in the sportbrake. A "mat", something they call a "tub" and a "watertight loadspace cover". One of these should be ok when having a dog in the back. .... and yes, the ski hatch is a hatch in the center making it possible to load things through while the seats are still upright. It also includes a cover to guard/cover the parts sticking into the passenger area.
The dog is mainly used for running and barking. She's very good at that. She's also the head of security at home. Our door bell doesn't work, but she warns us every time, someone is outside. Except when she's sleeping of course. After midnight, her business is completely closed. If one of us comes home in the middle of the night, she doesn't react at all.

About the ski cover in the ski hatch, you have always been spoiled with you cars in Germany. They are so cheap and have so many options installed. It is quite possible, that the XF in Germany has a ski cover, whereas in England it doesn't. A lot of people here in Denmark import used cars of the more expensive kind from Germany. They are so much better equipped than Danish cars. If I order a new car from the factory, there is 180% tax on it. And 25% VAT on top. That means, if I order some options, they are taxed as well, since they are part of the car. If an option costs 1,000 money. Then we have to pay 1,800 in tax bringing it to 2,800. Then we have to put 25% VAT on that, making the total price 3,500. You can start to imagine, what navigation and things like that cost here. When you import a used car from another country, you have to pay tax as well of course. The authorities estimate the value of the used car, and you have to pay taxes accordingly. Often the authorities look at the price as new, and then deduct the age and mileage. But they don't realise, that the car has a lot of options installed. In luxury cars, that can be quite a lot of money. So you often get the extra stuff rather cheap when buying from abroad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have bought a metal dog crate which folds flat when not in use. Works really well for our 2 small dogs The back seats have to be folded flat, but there is still plenty of room for other bits and bobs. Crate is secured using the track system and small metal carabiners.

Had the Sportbrake for nearly a month now and still smile every time I get in to drive away. First excursion towing our caravan next week. Early indications are that the car tows with ease and the only problem is forgetting the 1700 kgs following you. Thank heavens for cruise control!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or you could buy a Volvo V70 which has a substantial net which raises from behind the rear seat to the roof. (It can still be used with the seats folded - with difficulty). It's one of the few things I miss, having exchanged the V70 for the Sportbrake! Perhaps Jaguar will look again at the practical expectations of estate car owners. Having said that, the V70 simply doesn't have the "wow" factor of the Sportbrake and I'm sure you wouldn't regret going for the latter.
Interesting - which model Sportbrake do you have? Do I take it you are happy with the Sportbrake over the V70 in other respects? As far as dogs are concerned, there seem to be some generic headrest-mounted dog guards which might be the best solution. Anyway, we'll see if the rest of the deal stacks up first!

Mark

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the 2.2D Luxury Sportbrake in Carnelian red with a few extras. Yes. I am very happy with the Sportbrake which is the most stylish car I have owned (apart, possibly, from a Sunbeam in the rose-tinted past). I have moaned (with others) about the SatNav elsewhere on this forum and had to have tailgate and bonnet bolts tightened. (It was one of the first week's production, so I'm forgiving that). If I were to be ultra-critical, I marginally preferred the front seats in the Volvo. When I decide to pension off the Jag at some time long in the future, I shall do as always and test drive everything in sight, but for now I am delighted every time I settle in to the Sportbrake and drive off, getting admiring looks every time. How shallow is that? We're off soon to the South of France to pick up two years worth of our favourite wines and I am confident that the car will take all of that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
--deleted--

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the Doggie Funbus has arrived and been (partly) fitted out!

Before walkies:

After walkies:

So far they seem to like it - I've not found any teeth marks yet, and they haven't thrown up even on "Mr Toad's Wild Ride" - more commonly known as the B4000.

For the technical, we have a Mont Blanc K9E headrest-mount dog guard, an "Over the Top" custom waterproof fabric liner (ordered at CLA Game Fair), and a £5 "Happy Dog" cushion bought at a car show. We have a tailgate guard on order, although they are usually obedient enough to stay put until given the "launch" command.

Some pictures without dogs:

This shows the bumper protector - the front edge is fixed to the base liner with Velcro, and it concertinas in to clear the tailgate once the dogs are in/out.

Closer view of the dog guard - the long black things are the headrest hooks, the round black things secure the end pieces.

The passenger cabin side - the seat-back part of the liner attaches round the headrest supports with nylon straps.

The top of the guard is tilted forward quite a bit due to the angle between the top of the seat and the back of the headrests, but it doesn't intrude into the passenger space.

Mark

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes I have the Bootbuddy c/w bumper guard &Tailgate guard. It is very tough and can be wiped clean in a jiffy. My two Labradors are always in the sea or any other water course that comes to hand. Two towels are carried at all times. They never make any mess in the car as the Bootbuddy protects all but the back window which get the odd nose mark on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mark:

You say you bought the load space liner at the CLA fair - do you have the contact details for the outfit that makes them? Looks great!