XF Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Would anyone like to comment please, for or against, the rear spoiler, chrome side vents, and the mudflaps (splashguards if you must!).

I've now ordered an XF for January (sorry I don't have a digital camera so no pics to come) which is a Premium Luxury in Radiance Red, ivory interior with dark oak, camera, xenons, sunroof, B & W, sunblind, and 19" Carelias.

I normally have a spoiler on my cars but the XF one looks "stuck on" to me, not quite right. I also really wanted the Volans but once I heard the price...

As for Pirellis and Dunlops that have been mentioned, I have Dunlos on my MX-5 and they are fine. Equally I had Pirelli PZeros on my Volvo 850 saloon and they were excellent. Better than Tino Glocks anyday... ;)

Twosheds.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I personally like the spoiler, as I have opted for one on mine. I think it gives the back some shape and although I see where your coming from with regards to it lookng stuck on, I think many do!

With ref to chrome vents, then I am not that keen on them. again, thats my own personal preference and hopefully wont offend many of those who do have them.

I think the thing here is to get what YOU want and not what everyone else thinks. It is you that will be looking at it the most and whatever you choose, you will be happy.

I liked the 20" Selina wheels, but again the price decided it for me and then when I saw them on the diesel I was quite glad I never got them - they didnt quite suit it for me.

Probably not much use to you!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Spolier - no looks like a Halfords stick on and ruins the line of the car

Side vents - depends on colour but certainly looks great on my midnight car

Mudflaps - in my opinion look ugly and old fashioned. Without them just means you need to wash the car a little more often.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
I am pleased with the side vents. In fact most people I have spoken to agree that the vents add to the looks of the car and that the spoiler detracts. As for the flaps; I have never considered them. My car is well polished and therefore road dirt etc., is not a problem for me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well, the right advice has to be to do what YOU want, not what we think, which id very varied, as one might expect.

For me:

- Hate the chrome vents, although at a push I suppose they'd look least chavvy on black cars
- Agree with the 'spoiler looks stuck-on' school of opinion
- Keen on the mudflaps, and have them on mine. They certainly do what it says on the tin and, fopr me, give the car a slightly more aggressive look.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your car!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a silver SV8. I don't have the chrome side vents as I don't think they look that good on a silver car. I do have the mud flaps and would recommend them. Also have the spoiler fitted and makes closing the boot easier as well as looking good (my view).

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I fitted mud flaps on my XF to reduce stone chips on the underside of the car. The front mud flaps protect the underside of the sills behind the front wheels, but more crucially they reduce stone chips on the vulnerable bulge in the lower part of rear sill ahead of the rear wheels. I am afraid chrome vents and mirror covers leave me cold.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I highly recommend the mudflaps to protect the sills and side panels from stonechips. They also make the XF look less 'naked' in my humble opinion! It's almost as if the XF is fully dressed complete with bow tie and cufflinks if you have the mudflaps installed.

The same goes for the chrome side vents. It's a nice finishing touch.

I am very happy with both from an aesthetic point of view. Of course, the mudflaps do their job very well so are a functional item too.

It's all very subjective and I got both for me, not for anyone else to look at. So it's important you get the bits you want for yourself as it's your car!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Anyone got a picture of mudflaps on an XF? Dont think I have seen any so far and as most of my daily commute is down muddy country lanes could be a worthwhile investment. As Vapour Grey commented, you can clearly here the mud/grit splattering on the underside of the sills, so extra protection might help. Are they colour coded?

·
Registered
306 Posts
The dealer fitted my mudflaps from new as a goodwill gesture. My last 10 cars have all had them fitted would not have a car without them, as said before its not just the mud its the stones that the wide wheels pick up that cause all the damage.

gary

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
andrewll said:
Anyone got a picture of mudflaps on an XF? Dont think I have seen any so far and as most of my daily commute is down muddy country lanes could be a worthwhile investment. As Vapour Grey commented, you can clearly here the mud/grit splattering on the underside of the sills, so extra protection might help. Are they colour coded?
Here you are. They are very easy to fit and you will need a 2mm drill plus screwdrivers and small socket set. It takes about an hour.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks Vapour Grey, I will get on to the dealer right away. From your photo it doesnt look as if they are colour coded. Do you know if this is an option?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
andrewll said:
Thanks Vapour Grey, I will get on to the dealer right away. From your photo it doesnt look as if they are colour coded. Do you know if this is an option?
Thats right they are made of black rubber with Jaguar written along the bottom.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks for the info. I guess they have Jaguar on them in order that they can charge double the normal cost!!

Was I seeing things or do you park your XF on carpet ???

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
andrewll said:
Thanks for the info. I guess they have Jaguar on them in order that they can charge double the normal cost!!

Was I seeing things or do you park your XF on carpet ???
Yes, on bits of old carpet to protect the floor paint which can be damaged by warm tyres.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts