XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Qhunter's picture below demonstrates in a very graphic manner the extraordinary fuel consumption figure he achieved on a recent journey when the DSC was off.( Full story in this link) viewtopic.php?f=26&t=835&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Inspired by his trip I undertook a round trip today of 42 miles along mainly A class roads with light traffic. I have to say that the best I could achieve was 42 MPG, about the same as when I have made the trip with the DCS on :(
I am interested to know if others are able to significantly improve their consumption figure.
If you would care to undertake a control journey and then repeat it with the DSC off and report your consumption figure here we may begin to understand a little more. :)
:!: Obviously the DSC system plays a large part in the excellent handling charateristics of the XF and at the same time it provides an important safety feature. Obviously this should be borne in mind if it is turned off. :!:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I was intrigued by the 52mpg figure and tried my work commute (40 miles each way)
I didn't get any change in mpg at all.
Not sure if that's because most of the journey is fairly straight and flat A roads or Motorway, so little scope for DSC to be engaged.

I probably need to gauge performance around more challenging roads where DSC is more likely to get involved.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've also been experimenting with switching off DSC and will post when I've done some comparative journeys. Initial impression of DSC-less driving is that the car does 'feel' less constrained, eg when coasting I've noticed I have to 'feather' the brake when previously the car would have stopped rolling.

A technical question- when I press the DSC button (for however long) I get a new display 'TRAC-DSC', rather than 'DSC OFF'- I presume this reflects later software that engages a Track driving mode, so that the DSC system is still operating but will allow a bit more wheel slippage before engaging?

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try again but this time hold the DSC button down for about 10-15 seconds or even longer. If you are not getting DSC OFF then there may be a problem with the system.
You should hear a warning gong and the message centre will display DSC OFF
DSC Trac Mode, achieved after just a few seconds depression of the button, will provide you with exactly that which you perceived, a more sprightly experience :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would describe it as a long 10 seconds!! Hold the DSC button down until "DSC OFF" appears in the rev counter clock and you hear a single 'bong' warning tone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts