XF Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shock: how can this still be happening. these are made in the UK and then shipped to the USA and still they are nearly half the price model for model, no dont tell me, the USA ones dont need an ash try in the back, ah, that would account for the £20,000 cheaper price tag on the standard V8 model. :evil:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Simple economics. You can only charge what the local market will stand based on how many you want / need to sell. They have to be competitively priced against the opposition and the bonus for us.....

well it keeps the volume of production up without which it would be even more expensive over here

The American car market is very price sensitive and has more competitors in the executive or as they call it, near luxury market. More competition means more fickle and fluctuating demand and therefore to counter that you price low and load high to attract buyers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
presidentk said:
Or in simple economic terms RIP OFF BRITAIN !!!!! :evil:
Eh?
An often misused quote.
Jaguars pricing is not based on cost + a set mark up. Jaguar will sell for as much as a particular market will stand, given local economics, competition, etc, as well as local taxes. Sure the UK pricing looks dear compared to the USA, but look at prices of BMW, Mercedes etc in the US.

At the end of the day, no one is forcing you to pay this price, if you feel you are being ripped off, buy something else.

·
Registered
618 Posts
True Greybloke. You have to look at the level of wages in the US and the costs of everyday items too. Minimum wage in the US is an average from state to state of $6 when you compare that to the UK which is nearly $11 then that starts to illustrate some of the difference.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was looking at an XF in a showroom in Germany 2 weeks ago. 3 litre petrol premium luxry ( I thinkk). Cost new 64,000 Euros (convert that to pounds sterling) and you will see who is paying a lot more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Slickfingers said:
I was looking at an XF in a showroom in Germany 2 weeks ago. 3 litre petrol premium luxry ( I thinkk). Cost new 64,000 Euros (convert that to pounds sterling) and you will see who is paying a lot more.
I have bought a 3.0 Petrol Premium Luxury with several, Parking Aid, Bi-Xenon, several more accesories, for 60000 Euros, in Spain

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes i agree that it is a well used term. and that the min wage in the US is low I travel there quite often and the waiting staffs wages can be as low as $2-3 /hr I have spoken to them about it.

the point I am making is that Jaguars target market for this car I would believe would be middle to upper America. they have tried to create a brand based on Heritage and Prestige of owning a "JAGUAR" (mid to low volume production- high net worth). ford tried to create profit from selling high volume x-types and it did not work.

looking at postings from other countries the one from spain claims a 2.7 PL costing nearly £47000 (based on euro @1.25/£). now spain as a general population is not flush with cash, so why is the car so expensive over there and in the supposed richest nation on earth you get the SV8 for less money. based on what the market will stand argument you should be able to by a spanish car for the cost of a Mondeo-- x type--Mondeo --x type-- you know what i mean !!

I love my Car but i think companies miss the Global part of Global Economies and that people around the world like us talk to each other and can get upset when they hear of experiances from other countries. this is not reserved to Cars as i have a very keen Photography interest and the same applies to camera equipment way over priced in this country too.

anyway enough for now as grumpy man need sleep !!!

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
riccardo said:
It all looks a bit different with USD/GBP at 1.50 and EUR/GBP at 1.12, doesn't it?
And it looks very different in the other direction. In 2000 I imported a car from The Netherlands with a huge saving. Those were the days :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts