XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm planning on ordering an XF next month and in an attempt to stay within budget I'm speccing it up as follows:

• 3.0 D luxury
    Pearl Grey
    Charcoal interior (have 2 kids who love their juices so light coloured carpet is a no no!)
    Bi-Xenon Vis Pack
    320w sound system
    Parking aid pack
    Spare wheel (required for the sound system)
A couple of questions I was hoping you guys could help with were:
The wood finish as standard is it a matt finish as I've seen one pic and it seems to be matt compared to the Walnut burr you get as an option.

Is the 320w sound system any good (can't really push the budget out to the B&W although I know that would sound awesome as I have B&W at home).

Thnx,
Shapps

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Shapps :)
You will just love your XF when you get it.
I am not sure you are right when you say "The wood finish as standard is it a matt finish"
Looking at the brochure the Designer choice for your colour scheme is any one of the three finishes.
As for the sound system, you will not be unhappy with it, as I am sure others who have it will be along to say.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum your spec is ok to me, try a different colour like rad red or BG there are too many greys and blacks around. Most of all order the car and enjoy driving it XFs are brilliant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ipod kit is great and worth having if you have an ipod of course

·
Registered
107 Posts
Spoke to a new XF owner yesterday who hasn't got the Xenons - he says the lights are not good. Therefore, good option
320w is fine for me but I'm not a real music person

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The brochure says on the Luxury that the finish is a satin finish...I may push for the burr instead as the satin looked dull.

It was a toss up between Botanical Green and the Pearl Grey, but I saw a dirty example of a BG the other day which put me right off. I know there will be times when I just wont get a chance to clean the car (hate machine car washes so have to go to the local hand wash place).

Probably won't go for the PAI, although I do have an ipod, I'm happy with the 3.5mm jack.

Woo hoo! I'm a bit excited now!

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
Shapps said:
The brochure says on the Luxury that the finish is a satin finish...I may push for the burr instead as the satin looked dull.

It was a toss up between Botanical Green and the Pearl Grey, but I saw a dirty example of a BG the other day which put me right off. I know there will be times when I just wont get a chance to clean the car (hate machine car washes so have to go to the local hand wash place).

Probably won't go for the PAI, although I do have an ipod, I'm happy with the 3.5mm jack.

Woo hoo! I'm a bit excited now!
Dirty Botanical Green indeed :!:
You need to see a dirty Pearl Grey :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Shapps,

I've got the 3 litre petrol in premium luxury which has been spec'd to the max. (It's an ex promotional vehicle.) Things it's got that I'm not fussed about are headlamp washers, sunroof, TPMS, sunblind, heated steering wheel, tv, garage door opener. Things that impress me include blind spot monitor, xenon headlamps, parking aid, B&W system, iPod connector. ivory trim... Now, which could I absolutely not do without? I'll tell you in 3 months. (But I appreciate that doesn't help.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the 320W system and the I-Pod connector. On CD mode the sound quality is awesome - the I-Pod seems to loose some volume but you just need to crank it up. Good choice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One of the reasons I'm not bothering with the ipod connector is that I can slap a whole buch of mp3s onto a cd and just leave the ipod in my work bag. If I really wanted to put the ipod in I can just use the 3.5mm.

Coming from a past of being an audiophile in car entertainment, can anyone comment on what brand the 320w is? As it has an active sub, I'm not expecting anything major, but it would be good to know. And I've decided on the Walnut burr now. I went to see a luxury in standard satin finish and it looked a little boring.

@Pekem - Thanks for setting up the poll..it looks like parking pack is much loved!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't know what brand the 320w is - but I suspect Alpine. Sounds very good all things considered. Haven't heard the B&W system in the XF (only in the XKR) - I'd not bother blowing a grand on it though, since the car isn't the best environment in which to listen to music).

Washers you need to have Indigo since Xenons come with them by law :) The xenons are extremely good.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I havn't signed in for a while but I just thought I'd say that the 120W system standard on the Luxury has a great mellow 'bassy' tone, with a great bright sound with the higher frequencies. I have a ARCAM system at home and could be described as a hi-fi 'snob' :lol: and I think that the standard system in the Jaguar is great for an in car system, however I havn't experienced the B&W system so I can't comment on it but I'm sure it's great.

(But there's a buzz from the passenger side tweeter in the top half of the door panel, and it's at just the frequency that makes me want to tear my eardrums out!) :lol:

Mikee Mike - I have also noticed how high you have to have the volume through the aux connection and the sound becomes distorted which is rather dissapointing although I saw a little preamp connection in WhatCar? that costs about £50, and it amplifies the sound before it is sent to the car systems amp which seems to take the load off slightly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
To go back to the original question (and I'm not sure whether these are standard fixtures now) but I've been very impressed with keyless entry and ignition. I still reach to the right of the steering wheel to switch off. The other thing is adaptive cruise control. I've not been particularly taken with cruise in the past as it's not much use apart from empty motorways (ie it's not much use). In maintaining a fixed distance from the vehicle in front ACC seems to work much better so that you can set 50 mph in an average speed monitoring area and follow the car in front without having to keep cancelling if it slows down. ACC does apply the brakes but I'm not sure if it would actually bring you to a stand if the car in front stopped. There is a "driver invention" warning so I think I'm expected to apply the last bit of braking myself. Difficult to test this one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With regard to Adaptive Cruise Control, I have to say its a personal favourite option of mine. I had it on my previous XJ6 and on my current Lexus. In fact it is now a prerequisite when I change cars.

If like me your a lazy driver it takes a lot of effort out of motorway driving and can also be used quite effectively on A- roads. Once it senses the car in front (follow mode) when you go into a bend as the car in front slows down for the corner so will you. Whilst this style is certainly not fool proof and off course its not entirely what its meant to be used for with care it can be effective. Also as you can set the ACC to maintain a good distance form the car in front, useful from a safety prospective, it can help reduce the risk of picking up a dreded stone chip.

Interestingly its only now become available for the Diesel Jaguars (3.0 litre) as they never got round to designing it to work on the 2.7.

Finaly one feature for the lazy drivers like me that is the icing on the cake is Lane Keep Assist. This allows the car to steer itself on multi lane roads with clear lane markings. I tried it on an Honda and whilst not perfect it is still pretty effective and makes for a surreal experience watching the car steering itself happily even around some quite bendy parts of the M25. For safety reasons you have to keep at least one hand lightly on the wheel otherwise the system switches off.

Hopefully this will be something Jaguar will be introducing as its becoming common now on all of their rivals.

Regards
Keith

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for this, Keith. I have to agree that ACC seems to work surprisingly well and I think it's much better than regular CC. I still have to find out if it will bring you to a stand. Perhaps I'll leave that one for someone else to test.

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
IndigoIvory said:
Thanks for this, Keith. I have to agree that ACC seems to work surprisingly well and I think it's much better than regular CC. I still have to find out if it will bring you to a stand. Perhaps I'll leave that one for someone else to test.
I don't think you should expect that to happen. I don't think it is designed to do it in the way that the Volvo system will, albeit at quite slow speeds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In awnser to your question whether it will bring you to a complete stop - I would say not. It didn't on my XJ', and the complete stop feature is only something introduced by a few brands so far such as Mercedes, and Bentley who recently began offering ACC.

However from my experience whilst it would be nice, it doesnt reperesent a major problem either, you just get ready to apply the brakes when you slow down to about 25mph. It also beeps to remind you to take over.

One other point, if like me you set the distance between you and the car in front to maximum, you find other drivers over or even under :roll: taking and cutting in front :x .

Anyway I hope I dont sound like some sort of ACC anorak with all of this. ;)

Regards
Keith

1 - 20 of 22 Posts