XF Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was changing my car, I had to decide between the XF 2.7 D Luxury, and the Audi A5 3.0 TDI S-Line Tiptronic Quattro.

I tested the XF in Premium Luxury spec, and told the dealer I wanted to satisfy my curiosity and test the A5 aswell. And I can tell you now - I loved the A5, It has the same 0-60 time as the 3.0 D S albeit not as much power (230PS).

One of the main problems was the price - once I had an A5 specced similarly to an XF I was talking £44k, wereas my XF cost me a tiny bit under £36k. The salesman at my dealer said that a few of his other customers were considering the A5.

What were you also considering? :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Audi A6 2.7tdi Avant

Same thing with you - extras add on too much cost compared to Jag.

Felt the A6 was a bit rough ride-wise as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Same as you both.......A5, A6 and even, for a very brief moment, Q5....also did the unthinkable and pondered a Merc.........I'm a long term Audi fan, but looking forward to the 3.0D PL when it arrives. Stylish, classy and just DIFFERENT from all these German cars. Hope my move is rewarded with similar levels of reliability as my Audi.

Issue for me, and the reason for the move to Jag, was that all the above were so similar - whilst the A5 exterior impressed, I could have been in a A3,4,Q5 or miniature A6 for all I knew....The jag has both exterior and interior presence and certainly made me catch my breath the 1st time I stepped aboard!

Now worried I should have gone for the S-model, but after years of S-line harshness, I wanted a plusher ride and so will have to compromise with 19"Carelias, 500Nm of torque and 6.5sec to 60..........where's my zimmer!

Looks like there are quite a few Audi defectors our there.

p.s. I'm 37 btw:)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the thing that did it for me was the awful service at Glasgow Audi and the brilliant service at Taggarts Jaguar Motherwell.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
At the time of my buying the XF I had to decide if I should continue with my gorgous S Type or not. Of course the XF won the day after a factory visit, nice lunch, launch party and an encouraging wife :lol:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[color=green said:
pekem[/color]]At the time of my buying the XF I had to decide if I should continue with my gorgous S Type or not. Of course the XF won the day after a factory visit, nice lunch, launch party and an encouraging wife :lol:
Last feb I went to the launch party for the new A4 as then I was interested in a 3.2 A4 (ended up with a 2.0 TDI :( ) ... Food was good :lol:

·
Registered
176 Posts
My alternative option was Merc CLS; hubby wanted me to see a Jag but didnt hold out much hope as I was quite anti the XF, well, that was until I saw it - or moreso saw the interior - I was blown away :!: Hubby was shocked but happily so, and I got ' the dogs danglies' for under £40k, compared to the CLS that was going to cost at least £10k more to get it up to spec......
Hush lyrics are perfect for the XF, but I have so many more song titles/lyrics/sayings that are spot on:-
'Nothing compares to you'
'Practically perfect in every way' .... etc etc... I could go on... ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I too, had the CLS 350 on my shopping list however I would probably have to buy a 6 month to year old car as the depreciation hit would be too much for a car that costs that much from the outset.

Has anyone seen the new E-Class? Coupe looks nice, saloon looks like they've designed it all with a ruler*, even the dual circular headlamps from the old model are square. And although WhatCar? say interior quality has improved dramatically, it manages to my eyes look very plasticy, Merc are obviously trying to do the whole 'conservative' dashboard and centre console, like what BMW have done since all their cars look like bigger versions of each other. :lol:

*Yes I did steal the quote from Jeremy Clarkson when describing the old Cadillac CTS-V :oops:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am returning from the dark side (ok so I’m the devil incarnate and a planet killer all in one) coming from an SUV and a BMW one to boot - yes an X5 - a bloody good car actually I love it /loved it. My shopping/wish list initially consisted strangely enough other SUV’s including the; BMW X5 E70 35D M Sport (but the few extra’s I selected most of which are standard on the Portfolio came it at over 10k!), Range Rover Sport V8 diesel HSE, Audi Q7 also a BMW 535D M sport tourer or saloon. Jag totally different but just had to have as love at first site and drive and pressure from teenage daughter not to get SUV she wanted me to get an Aston but explained about money and that my pockets are not that deep! I’m really excited and looking forward to delivery of my XF!

Richard

·
Registered
176 Posts
Aston Martin, now you're talking... thats what hubby wanted/wants... as I put it at the time, Jag is the poorer mans AM; but, having the XF, well TBH, I wouldnt be too bothered about having AM at this time. XF suits our family situ.. maybe in a few years time when babes are out of car seats, and we amalgamate our 3 cars then maybe, at a pinch, we can go for the AM.... but til then, im more than happy with XF (once all the niggles are fixed!!!!)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The first mid-life crisis (not suggesting you're having one) :lol: car on my list would have to be a Maserati GranTurismo S Coupe Auto :D With the dark blue 'blu navy' leather interior . . . lovely :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Real toughie this one as I'd my most recent car was an Audi A6 Avant 3.0TDI which was an excellent car but with a very firm ride. Chose this after years of X5's, Range Rover Sport and other assorted BMW/Audi's. But the real challenge was what to buy to avoid the default german marques, and also something with a bit of character.
Thank goodness for the XF otherwise I fear I may have drifted back to a 535D or A5 :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well Im going through this exercise right now! It will be either an XF or a Merc CLS350.

I had a look at the E class coupe, and its not as nice inside. All straight lines and plastics that weren't quite up to usual Merc standards. Looks like it was designed in America when under the influence of Daimler Chrysler - US designers like the straight lines on their slide rulers far too much for my taste, and the colours dont quite gel together to generate gentle harmonies and homoeostasis.

The CLS is a lovely car in many ways; it's effectively the coupe version of the "old" E class. It looks better finished inside than the new E, and exudes more class than the new E. New price is ca £50k+, but it drops heavily in the first year, then levels off to more sensible levels. There's a new model coming out based on the new shape E class, so depreciation is likely to hit a steep dip, otherwise I couldn't look at one of these. Excellent plastics and leathers, superb birds eye maple (or choice of other woods) for the dash. You have to like Black interiors though. Not a car for the depressives among us. The recent Grand Edition has more ooomph and gadgets for a premium.

You can get an 18month old CLS for the same price as a new XF Premium Luxury. So you would lose some of the warranty benefit of a new car if you went for the merc. The servicing costs rise as you get after the first year too, so there is definitely a premium for the Merc if you compare like with like.

I sat in my first XF on Saturday. Havent driven it yet, but like the look of the Premium Luxury and the Portfolio. Loved the leather work, especially the contrasting stiching in the Portfolio. To get that contrasting stitching on the CLS you would need to specify "designo" interior at about £2,500 or so extra.

Bodywork of Merc and XF was on a par, and looked great. XF has more external presence, and the folding seats would be a bonus boon in the XF. Deffo would want the rear parking camera and front sensors on the XF. Cabin of XF is more snug than CLS. Like a Spitfire, you strap it on you rather than sit in it. CLS is much more of a luxury lounge experience, which is fine if that's what you like. Rear seats in both is a bit of a joke for adults, but I don't care about that - wont be used much if at all. I loved the tasteful blend of colours & woods in the XF. However I didn't like the XF dials and switchgear - I prefer self-coloured plastics. Looked a bit Mondeo or Japanese family car in this respect. I don't think they will look all that good with a few years of use on them.

Price wise the Jag is about £10k-£15k cheaper. That's a lot of extra money to pay to avoid cheaper dials and switches, and the Jag isn't a car that hasn't really changed since its launch in 2005. I hear that they have stopped production of the CLS a little while ago, so I'm not expecting the choices open to a customer to be as good as a plant order XF. I also do worry about what the depreciation might be on a car that is a roll-out model when the new one arrives imminently.

Overall then, its victory to the Jag on first impressions.

Next step is to compare the driving - and I expect the Jag to beat the CLs significantly in this respect. The Merc does not have the reputation for handling that Jaguar has already established. It could be that one drive and £10k in my back pocket will make me forget the dials!! You can get an awful lot of fuel for £10k........ :eek:)

MM

G

·
0 Posts
The main difference is that the XF is a beautiful shape & the CLS is just plain ugly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts