XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Journalists in 2007 were writing, almost without exception, that in their view Jaguar had got it wrong about the XF's front end styling.
Rear end, the "haunches" were wonderful, evoking comments such as, "I thought it was very Aston Martin", but they just could not get over the front end. :eek:
Leave aside my view that journalists will happily feed of each other and therefore it may be that only one of them actually thought that the XF was styled badly and all others repeated the charge.
It is the case that in the last year I have never heard any criticism of the kind; have you :?:

·
Registered
281 Posts
It was always the one part of the car I was less sure about, but it's certainly grown on me and I don't really think about it now.

However I still think the best view of the car is either in profile or from the rear, but overall it is without question it's the best looking car, and the one that generates the most comments, I've ever owned :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Brings a smile to my face every time I return to it.

Was always a bit concerned before purchase as I traded out of a XJ diesel, but boy does this car grow on you.

This is everything I dreamed about as a child when I lusted after Jags.

Bought the S-Type on looks and that really split opinions, but was a wonder car and drive (second generation). Bought the X-type estate on practicality, but it just wasn't a Jag. Bought the XJ Diesel because it looked wow and it was, but oh so old fashioned.

Bought the XF because I loved the look, and I so haven't been disappointed with the car to live with.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't interesting that when you sit in an XF and drive it it feels like, in terms of size at least, an ordinary family saloon but when you do see one coming in the opposite direction that radiator grill jumps out and shouts Jaguar and the car always appears huge to me.
I do remember reading that Ian Callum, Design Director for Jaguar thought that an important aspect of the design was what he called "the mirror look". In other words the look of a Jaguar as seen by another driver in the rear view mirror. I have always liked it and I would guess it will be a while before it changes very much.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It just goes to show you that the motoring 'experts' who write with such authority about the XF don't know a damned thing about Jaguar or the historical acknowledgment made by the inclusion of the grill. I love what they've done by using this grill and I love even more listening and reading to so-called motoring experts falling over themselves to demonstrate their ignorance of the Jaguar brand :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had my reservations regarding the front end. But now when I walk toward my car it just looks "right" Especially how low it sits and the suttle "cats eyes" and tapered bonnet.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think the front looks just great, in fact the whole car does.

Our offices comprise a couple of blocks of glass fronted (to ground level) buildings with car parking pretty much up to the building front. When I leave in the evening I get a pretty much uninterrupted sideways reflection of the Xf as I drive away and I can never resist taking a good long glance and always wonder at just how fantastic the car must look to others (as well as to me !!). :)

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
andrewll said:
I think the front looks just great, in fact the whole car does.

Our offices comprise a couple of blocks of glass fronted (to ground level) buildings with car parking pretty much up to the building front. When I leave in the evening I get a pretty much uninterrupted sideways reflection of the Xf as I drive away and I can never resist taking a good long glance and always wonder at just how fantastic the car must look to others (as well as to me !!). :)
I understand that andrewll.
One day I will run into the back of a car because I am sure the enormous wall of mirror that is an end side of the Milton Keynes Shopping Centre is simply so rewarding that I can never resist watching, almost like a video, the reflection of a truly beautiful car as I process past it :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think that the front end is the best view of the car. I love the way the bonnet is slightly fluted above the lights, the raking angle of the grill with the Jaguar badge in the centre (so much better than a leaper on the bonnet). The centre bonnet bulge seems larger or smaller depending on the light and always looks bigger from inside the car! There are so many good angles. I must get round to posting a photo of mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm with the journalists on this one, it's the only view of my XF that I don't like. Maybe it will grow on me but it's still too "Lexus" for my liking. Considering how beautiful the rear and three-quarter views are, the front is just too generic.

I think I'm in the minority though :cool:

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RichXF said:
I'm with the journalists on this one, it's the only view of my XF that I don't like. Maybe it will grow on me but it's still too "Lexus" for my liking. Considering how beautiful the rear and three-quarter views are, the front is just too generic.

I think I'm in the minority though :cool:
My view is that you are with the"journalist" on this one :!:
I suspect that an opinion was expressed by one and many of the others thought it was good copy and passed it on. :)

By the way RichXF what happened about yourXF :?:
I recall that you wrote a month ago that you did not wish to proceed with your order; when did it finally arrive, or didn't it :?:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts