XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Im another first time poster - although I have been lurking for a couple weeks while I have been trying to make a decision on the XF. Don't get me wrong, the xf IS the car I want, but first I was unsure of colour (now you can just tell Im female after that prioritising!! ;) ), then when I found out about the 3.0d coming out in March that put another ? on the right car to get!
Head says wait for the new 3.0d; heart is screaming to get car asap and get 2.7d on 09 plate! Finance options are playing a large part in this as have been advised to not buy either outright; 2.7d's APR= 5.9% but 10% on 3.0d !!

The annoying thing is - and Im showing my femaleness again - I have decided on the colour now; Botanical green (close second Indigo)! and with this in mind have had what I think is a fab find: Botanical Green 2.7d PL with Barley/truffle interior and Rich oak facia on 09 plate; comes with extras of DAB, 19" alloys, front parking aid and rear camera. £35000.

So guys, what would you do? Go for the better performance, pay more and lose more by depreciation (and if my other car is anything to go buy it was a heck of a lot in a v short time); or go for the 2.7d for the time being and then upgrade to the 3.0d in a few years when its not going to lose all that money and can have it there and then...(yep, Im impatient too!) Will the 2.7d become undesired/unwanted once the 3.0d is on the market and then I will lose even more!! questions questions questions!!! Need a crystal ball!!!
Sorry for rambling....just want to get it right for what will be my best car ever, and dont want to regret buying it for any reason, on either of the choices!
Thanks for taking time to read and for any responses
Miss Impatient in Hampshire!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi, XF FX, The difference between the 3.0 PL and 2.7 PL is £3963. I personally would choose the 3.0 PL with same accessories and colour. I guess it is down to how long can you wait. By your post not very long.

Incidentally I have the 2.7 PL in liquid silver which is comming up for its first birthday and it is a superb motorcar. I had to wait 6 long months before I took delivery.

The choice is up to you. You will not be disappointed.

Incidentally I intend to keep my XF for quite a few years.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Welcome XF FX. I've owned two 2.7d XF's and both have suffered turbo lag. So have now ordered 3.0d for collection 13 March 09. My advise is to have a long test drive in the 2.7d and concentrate on the power and not the beauty of the car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
I dont mind the initial extra cost..but more adverse to the double APR charged for the 3.0d over the 2.7, but I guess its because they are trying to shift the 2.7's.

I know in my head its right to wait for the 3.0d, but its that word 'wait' that I hate :!: but into perspective, its only an extra month or 2 I guess - what a great Easter prezzie..... at least I've got the colour sorted :D I'm so a woman!!!! :lol:

I think today has to be decision day..... watch this space...
thanks for comments so far....
Cleo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. I also am new to this forum. Believe me at this moment in time the very worst thing you can do is throw any money at a car. I have just lost £25k on an XK 4.2 Coupe over 12 months. This time last year I was told the car would have a likely residual value of 55% after three years. It has blown that much in 12 months.

Take out a PCP arrangement and put as little money in as possible. Then at the end of the agreement you can just hand the car back if it has 'blown its brains out'!. After changes to the Regulated Finance Act of last year you can now finance up to £100,000.00 on a regulated agreement where you have rights and protection in place.

I have just bought an ex-demonstrator May 2008 XF 3.0l V6 Premium Luxury Petrol model with every conceivable extra added to it....including the Bowers & Wilkins Upgrade which is simply awesome!....total price after haggling £28,000.00 on the nose. New price £42,900.00 only 9 months ago. The fact that it is a petrol was no real concern due to the difference in fuel prices and the reduction in price at point of sale. After all on this type of arrangement you are most likely to hand it back at the end anyway.

Brill car...very executive place to be and a bit of a head turner compared to some of the bland German marques.

Good luck

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi XF FX,

I know that feeling and dilemma well. Even more so since I recently wrote off my 535d so the need for a new car became even more urgent! However I decided to wait for the 3.0DS as I know I would always regret a hasty decision getting the 2.7D now. Don't get me wrong the 2.7 is a fantastic car that I'm sure you'd be delighted with, but for me come the end of March/beginning April I know I'd be disappointed I hadn't hung in there a little longer an waited for the new engine.

Be interested to hear what you decide - we all want it NOW, but give it another 6 weeks or so and I think you'll be oh so pleased you waited :lol:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, of course, and there is no accounting for taste, but are you sure you don't want ivory leather seats? They look fabulous with the dark external paintwork. I would also question the oak veneer. Have you seen it in the flesh? I can't help saying that it looks much more faux than the walnut or whatever it is that's standard in the Premium Luxury. [Check out Image 8 in the interior shots in the Gallery section of this forum]. I would have thought that your decision was between a brand new 3.0D and a low mileage used car. I took on a dealer's sales manager's car with 1800 miles and lots of spec (including the ivory) and, having read some of the horror stories here about faults, I couldn't help but feel that this was a good thing as he would have had any faults ironed out during his period of use. Mine has got a couple of small things that need attention - lumbar control motors don't work - and I haven't had the sat nav updated - but it's otherwise in perfect condition. Just a thought!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hiya
Oh yes Ive definitely considered the Ivory, it looks stunning...but as Im an ageing woman of 34 I have a baby car seat to take into consideration and Barley is going to be the lightest I can go so it doesnt mark too much. I can say, without a doubt, it would be Ivory if no children...but then if no children I would probably have gone for another XK; but the return to that car will have to wait until car seats are no longer needed (or maybe sell offspring on ebay ;) )

I think a decision was made last night to go for the 3.0d, but my concern was, as you have also pointed out, any niggles that wont be known and need sorting (this happened when I bought the 407sw new which kinda put me off new cars)....however, here I am again contemplating doing the same...so now, another difficult decision for me (being as impatient as I am), do I go for the 3.0d and collect March/April time and take it on the higher interest Jag are currently offering on PCP....or, that horrible word, WAIT :( until the 3.0d are a few months old and possibly on a better sales deal?! :? and niggles possibly known about, and maybe chance a demo or something coming up....

In my head I feel I've made one good decision re waiting for the 3.0d, but I think, in heart of hearts, Im going to order one this week for earlier collection....fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think your making the right decision, I’d definitely go for the 3.0d, realistically thinking about it if you were in the used car market in a couple of years time are you going to go for a 2.7 or 3.0?, as a used buy the 3.0d is going to be the one people want.

If your really tempted by a 2.7 wait until the 3.0 is available and in stock and the price of 2.7’s will plummet, much lower than where they are currently sitting.

With regard to ordering, I wouldn’t rush on that front, the economy and car market certainly wont be picking up in the next 3-4 months, so I would be very surprised if there will be huge waiting list. The salesman’s going to tell you there is to close the deal, but in a few months time (Post reg change) they will all be fighting for business and cutting deals.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I to was like you, did not know to buy a 2.7 ex demo or wait for 3.0, in the end i brought ex demo PL with a few extras for 30k, ok every car loses value, i intend to keep mine for maybe 3 years, so at present re-sale is not a problem. However i love the 2.7 to me a car is a car but a \xf is special whatever it is, i dont know what turbo drag is, or what the differance between 2.7 & 3.o would be, all i know is i saved 7-8k at present. Ive put a personal plate on the car, so knowone knows the year or age, i still smile, after a month, every time i get in the car, so whatever you choose enjoy !!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Entirely agree with the reasoning, rc - on the other hand, common sense often flies out of the window for some.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hiya
Thanks for your reply, and I agree with your comments...and as much as Im impatient, im also not one to be done over... or try not to be :roll: anyway, I agree that the 2.7d's are going to be hit by the launch of 3.0d, which is one of the main reasons for going for the 3.0d. If I get impatient then a 2.7d will lose a lot of value...but if I could wait for it, could get a v good deal on a 2.7d around summer time. Unfortunately, I can wait for the 3.0d to come out, but prob not long enough for the 2.7's to be hit by their launch... so 3.0d it is... now to time the order of that correctly......

I have many theories on when this could be (and not enough space to write them all ) with regards to market, costs, etc etc...but at end of day no one can truely predict the next several months, so without hindsight, I guess it really could go either way.... or maybe thats just a way for me to convince myself it would be ok to go for it now :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Like you I have been dormant since joining, reading and digesting all the info available. At last I made up my mind and ordered a 3.0d portfolio last week. I approached the local dealers, best they could do was about £1200 discount. In the end I ordered through 'Drivethedeal' and got about £3300 off. Deposit has been paid to the Jaguar dealer out of my area but they will pay my train fare to them to pick up car in April. Only extra I went for was the front parking aid with rear camera (you still get the normal rear parking aid)

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
JohnBB said:
Like you I have been dormant since joining, reading and digesting all the info available. At last I made up my mind and ordered a 3.0d portfolio last week. I approached the local dealers, best they could do was about £1200 discount. In the end I ordered through 'Drivethedeal' and got about £3300 off. Deposit has been paid to the Jaguar dealer out of my area but they will pay my train fare to them to pick up car in April. Only extra I went for was the front parking aid with rear camera (you still get the normal rear parking aid)
Welcome to the forum JohnBB :)
I have to say that I am not at all clear what the normal rear parking aid is. Is it the series of radiating bar graphics appearing on screen to indicate distance from obstacle, as I see on mine - except they are all round - or is it something different :?:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pekem - I understand it is exactly as you describe but with the camera you get the option of a picture instead.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
This parking pack seems to be causing a lot of confusion recently.

Standard will give you 4 sensors on the rear bumper, when the car is in reverse they will activate giving you an audible tone and a top down view of the car on the display along with bars indicating how close you are to an object behind.

Parking pack is as above including 4 sensors on the front, so the top down display will now show bars to the front and to the rear and corresponding audible tones. In addition there is also a fisheye camera lense above the rear number plate which will give a rear view on the display when the reverse gear is selected (usefull for reversing out of spaces in a busy car park) By touching the screen whilst reversing, you can change the view from camera to top down display and back again.

Although most people say they dont need the camera, the front sensors are a must! But through Jag you can't have one without the other.

·
Registered
38 Posts
'1zx10ben' I think that this is the perfect description of the parking aids. Just one more question. I assume that it is easy to disable the front sensors as you don't want to be pestered with beeps when in slow moving traffic.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The front sensors can only be activated when engaging reverse gear.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not particularly useful then!!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts