XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the smart key battery replaced at the yearly service for the XF?

This was listed as one of the jobs to be ticked on the customer advice sheet for my Lexus GS which had a similar key.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re: Is battery replaced in smartkey at service?

Hi tone
No replacement of the smart key batery is not part of a service.The system recognises if the battery has become low and will give you a message on the message centre asking you to replace the battery.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

Both my keys set off the low keyfob battery warning message after 11 months. The keyfob battery is easy to change and cheap to buy on eBay.

·
Registered
125 Posts

When I got my XF (1 week ago) I asked the question about charging/docking the key as this is how my BMW charged its key.

My sales agent informed me that the battery would last 5 years, before the battery would need to be replaced.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

jbapu said:
When I got my XF (1 week ago) I asked the question about charging/docking the key as this is how my BMW charged its key.

My sales agent informed me that the battery would last 5 years, before the battery would need to be replaced.
I would inform you that the agent is WRONG.

I needed to replace mine after about 1 year, 13k miles then, and penultimateblack's change was after 11 months.

The point I was originally making, and unfortunately continue to make, is that Jaguar service is not close to companies that really try. Lexus do not need to change the battery in the key fob at each service, it definitely costs them money. But it probably means that any Lexus owner who has their car serviced at a main dealer will never be let down in a remote place by a flat key fob battery. Therefore they are giving better service.

QED.

Tony.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Refence key fobs showing low battery there is now a bulletin reference this where its been identified there is an issue with keys themselves which requires new backings for the keys.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

JAG M/T said:
Refence key fobs showing low battery there is now a bulletin reference this where its been identified there is an issue with keys themselves which requires new backings for the keys.
I assume the key fobs that come with 2010 cars have been modified.

·
Registered
125 Posts

So the information I have on my 2010 model could be correct..... ?

R

·
0 Posts
You can get them anywhere, it tells you what they are and how to change them in the handbook.

I got a pack of 2 from Argos for exactly the same price as a single one from Halfrauds, same brand and everything

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Both Smartkeys are today saying low battery.

Is it likely that both would show this on the same day? Car is 18 months old.

Anyone else had issues - and do I have to go to a Jaguar dealer for the batteries or can I get them anywhere??
If you have the time I suggest you pop into a dealer and seek their view. It happened to me and at the time I called in to Jaguar Watford and not only did they swap the batteries, they also changed the entire fob telling me that it had a flaky chrome type surface which was a fault :)

G

·
0 Posts
The problem with the battery contacts has been mentioned HERE.

If both keyfob batteries were low & then were subjected to the cold then the battery voltage would drop enough to trigger the low battery warning. It happens to watches when the battery is low. A watch will work on a warm wrist but stop when it is taken off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can get them anywhere, it tells you what they are and how to change them in the handbook.

I got a pack of 2 from Argos for exactly the same price as a single one from Halfrauds, same brand and everything
Cheers - puchased 2 CR 2032's from local shop - £2.25 - fitted and all hunky dory.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Battery may be low. Mine needed replacement after only three years of moderate use. The battery is a readily available hearing aid/camera battery and very easy to replace. I'd try a new battery and see how it goes.

R

·
0 Posts
Is it the same with the spare key, if not it's the zapper, if it is it would seem to be the car that has a problem

G

·
0 Posts
The fault is unlikely to be in both key fobs so it's a reasonable assumption that the problem is with the car. Looks like a trip to the dealer is required.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also got the low battery warning about 2 months after getting the car. I ordered 10 batteries off of ebay and used the spare in the meantime. A few days later they arrived and it was a 2 minute job to replace the battery in the other keyfob.....now have 9 spare batteries and the cost....a whole £1.25 inc delivery !

1 - 20 of 37 Posts