XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Into my 2nd week of ownership now... and pleased to say only a few niggles really..

1) couple of odd 'creaks/knocks' coming from suspension over bumps it feels
2) slight cut in the steering wheel at the bottom, looks like a knife or something
3) rear offside light cluster has condensation inside (dodgy seal perhaps)
4) few minor marks on the seat (but cleaned up ok) and few scratches around door handles and 'prep marks' on rear haunches
5) brakes possibly binding - or could be something else??
6) speedo/tacho needles 'wobble' slightly when driving at a steady speed
7) auto headlamps have no sensitivity/timer adjustment
8) cannot locate glovebox 'button' in the dark ;)

ok, 8 is a silly one but seems like an oversight perhaps on the design - at least with a handle you can feel for it, the Jaguarsense thing perhaps should have a faint glow or something! :p

I felt 1 and 5 may just be whilst things are 'settling down', so wanted to wait until I found some more teething issues before taking car in for 'fixing', better to have it done in one go than lots of trips... Anyway spoke to dealer on Tuesday and really wanted me to come in to show him the marks/scratches and the steering wheel, anyway we talked about the other things whilst he cleaned up the seat and said I should put some more miles on it first over next couple of weeks to see if anything else crops up, then bring it in - he promised he'd get the valeters out again as well to polish out the minor scratches and sort it all out properly and top up the supagard application. :)

The steering wheel cut is a worry too - it's not large, about 1/2 inch but it's the sort of thing I can imagine getting worse if it's not fixed. Not sure how they can fix without replacing :/ :?

Brakes binding is an odd one - it SOUNDS like brade binding (two surfaces 'scraping' against another), speed dependent, but doesn't get better/worse when applying brakes.. it can be more noticable after turning to the right than the left however.

The speedo wobble is minor irritation too - and something I'll probably leave unless theres something more serious that involves removing the dash for, because some things are better left alone in the squeaks/rattles/cleanliness/scratches department when it comes to doing stuff that necessitates a lot of removal/replacement! ;)

Auto headlights are a little annoying - I go under several motorway bridges to/from work and each time the lights come off then go off again, I always thought that was a bit dumb when seeing other cars doing it, but didn't think the Jag would. It would have been nice to have some setting there to adjust the sensitivity or perhaps put a delay on turning them on in instances like this... I can't imagine lights lasting too long if they're on/off for such brief moments, so I've turned off the auto lights (sadly).

Anyone else noticed any of these issues and/or had them fixed?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have also found the glovebox detail irritating. i'm sure it could have been a simple matter to have a glowing light ... a minor point , yet for a car of this calibre , things could have been easier for it's occupants.
i also feel , a light in the box under the armrest might of been a simple but convenient touch.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had the same wobble on the dials that you speak of - No idea whatsoever about what causes it but I know it goes away fairly quickly once you've had the car a while.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
craig said:
The brake binding could be an issue with the EPB or even the DSC as has been found by some drivers.
Turned DSC off and still get the noise - it comes when going left but disappears when turning a right bend... It'll get sorted at the dealership no doubt when I arrange to take in for the other issues. :|

xfphillips said:
I had the same wobble on the dials that you speak of - No idea whatsoever about what causes it but I know it goes away fairly quickly once you've had the car a while.
Interesting! So yours are rock-solid now? Wonder what could cause them to settle - has it been to the dealership at all for anything (could they have updated software or something I wonder)?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Keith, I noticed the needle wobbling the day I collected my XF. The engine wasn't running, I was playing with the computer.
The dealer hadn't noticed one doing it before, and when I started the engine, they stopped wobbling. Since then, I haven't noticed the problem.

That aside, my car has a few snags which mean it's returning to the dealer next week.
The cooled driver seat no longer works.
1400 miles on the clock and the double cup holder rattles.
I notice that sub 1500 RPM, a lot of engine vibration is felt in the cabin. This concerns me as this will only get worse as the engine mounts age.
Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
thatchamcat said:
Keith, I noticed the needle wobbling the day I collected my XF. The engine wasn't running, I was playing with the computer.
The dealer hadn't noticed one doing it before, and when I started the engine, they stopped wobbling. Since then, I haven't noticed the problem.

That aside, my car has a few snags which mean it's returning to the dealer next week.
The cooled driver seat no longer works.
1400 miles on the clock and the double cup holder rattles.
I notice that sub 1500 RPM, a lot of engine vibration is felt in the cabin. This concerns me as this will only get worse as the engine mounts age.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Of course don't put up with a rattle but keep in mind that the cup holders are designed to be removed to provide a storage area.
I didn't think I could ever envisage me wanting to put pots of liquid so close to such sophisticated electronics. Oh yes, I know Jaguar poured pot after pot of Coca Cola over theirs when testing but there is always Sod's Law :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts