XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes when I am pulling away from being stationary the xf is very sluggish to get off the mark.

has anyone else experienced this?

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
It would be interesting to to have someone in your car to time you,0-60mph.
You might be surprised :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes, resulting in white van man rearrranging the rear end (after 24 hours ownership)so, more importantly, has anyone had a fix for this since I get my car back this week and would prefer not to repeat the experience.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mines getting better, but it takes an age for the turbo to spool up. I'm gald I'm not teh only one that thinks the XF is slow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's not slow, remember right gear @ right time. In fact I think it's quick for a large car, you just need to be in the right gear to extract the best performance.

"Use the paddles Luke" ;)

·
Administrator
433 Posts
Yep I agree - I find it very slow off the mark - especially noticeable pulling out at junctions.

I don't find the car slow overall, it's just that initial burst when pulling away that's missing. Reminds me of the XC90 diesel I had that took an age to get away.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It may sound stupid but I find the response of the XF just right for me, after my SLK350 which was too fast and likely to get me in the police bad books the XF is how I want a car to react, it can shift when it wants to but in todays climate of fuel costs, stone chips etc why hurry.

gary

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
pekem said:
It would be interesting to to have someone in your car to time you,0-60mph.
You might be surprised :)
I repeat what I said above.
All the motoring journalists wanted to do at the outset, it appeared to me, was to get in the car and see what it could do.
Interestingly, reference was made by some about time taken for the twin turbos to kick in but generally I don't recall that it was universally described as being a big issue. I seem to remember that some wrote that Jaguars 0-60 time was optimistic but did not go on to say that it was wildly so.
So, I say again, it would be useful in this discussion to know what is being achieved in comparison to the results published by journalists covering a range of speed tests.
I have to say that I would not know because I have no interest in achieving, in common with Garyxf, speeds that might get me in the police bad books :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't find the XF 2.7 slow at all. It's more than adequate off the mark and is excellent when accelerating from 30mph upwards. There is a minor delay in the revs kicking in when pulling away at slower speeds, say at a junction, but that is more a question of adapting to it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hutton1969 said:
I don't find the XF 2.7 slow at all. It's more than adequate off the mark and is excellent when accelerating from 30mph upwards. There is a minor delay in the revs kicking in when pulling away at slower speeds, say at a junction, but that is more a question of adapting to it.

Well put.

gary

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hutton....my thoughts exactly ,if i had wanted a 'racing car' i would have purchased an expensive 2 seater . at my tender age of 61, it suits me a treat & 'goes' when asked.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Ditto. I find the throttle response and performance suits me fine - but then I am a bit longer in the tooth than sodgob. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am a relative "junior" at 57 but my kids who are all in their 20's have commented positively at the performance, not least the combination of speed and refinement.

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
Yes, and I would be, and have been I am sure, described as an old f**t by following motorists but I just love, when it is safe to do so, to demonstrate just what the "Big Cat" can do. I can imagine that their jaws drops and they suddenly realise that racing around everywhere is a mugs game. :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
We all have different perspectives on this, I think my car is sometimes almost dangerous the way it ponders away from junctions.
I also had a spirited drive down a deserted A road last night and it really struggled to top 110. A 2.0 TDI A4, 3 series, Passat whatever you choose would blitz an XF down any road, which I don’t feel is good enough for a 2.7 twin turbo car.
So much so I have contacted Jaguar to get the car checked out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
rclifford said:
We all have different perspectives on this, I think my car is sometimes almost dangerous the way it ponders away from junctions.
I also had a spirited drive down a deserted A road last night and it really struggled to top 110. A 2.0 TDI A4, 3 series, Passat whatever you choose would blitz an XF down any road, which I don’t feel is good enough for a 2.7 twin turbo car.
Your XF cleary needs checking! I have found that mine accellarates very easily to 100mph and above. On continental roads I have easily achieved 135mpg.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Your car could well have a problem. During a trip to Germany with only 1200 miles on the clock, my (loaded down) 2.7D accelerated to 130 mph without fuss. It would have gone considerable faster had it not been for the speed limiter in the passenger seat!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
Your car could well have a problem. During a trip to Germany with only 1200 miles on the clock, my (loaded down) 2.7D accelerated to 130 mph without fuss. It would have gone considerable faster had it not been for the speed limiter in the passenger seat!
That's interesting. I also have one of those and do not recall it being included in the original specification! That is also a another problem with the satnav having 2 female voices in the car giving different directions!!

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
rclifford said:
That's really good news, better still were it not to have reached 60 :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts