XF Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Looking to buy a 2010 90k XF. 3.0
It has not had timing belt done which I think is due at 10 years ? (£500 to sort ?)
Also whilst it passed 2nd time it has failed MOT 2 years running on emissions.
The private seller seems a genuine guy and he said after some treatment added to the diesel it went through fine . I have seen certificate.
I like the car and the price but would appreciate any advice particularly on the above.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes- timing belt is 10 years or 100k.
Very hard to advise you re emissions as could be due to many things - worn injectors, EGR valve, dirty air / fuel filter (if car hasn't been serviced properly)..........
Unlikely to be a sensor issue or an air leak as these should generate a fault code, but worth getting any stored codes read as well.

If it's due to a carbon build up, hydrogen cleaning is supposed to work well (but I have no personal experience so can't vouch for the validity of the claims made for this process). I think it costs around £100 and available at some garages or by via a mobile service. Check google for anyone in your local area (and also some videos on YouTube) - look under 'hydrogen cleaning car'

If it was me, I would see if I could negotiate a trial / test with the owner - i.e. get the emissions checked and then get a hydrogen clean done and see if this makes any improvement (they may check the emissions before and after as part of the hydrogen clean). You can agree you will buy the car for a given price (allowing for the cost of the work) if this successfully solves the issue. If it doesn't make a sufficient improvement, I would walk away. Better to lose £100 than be faced with potentially many £00's of repair bills!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts