XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I'm new here but have been reading your posts over the last few days and have taken an XF 2.7 diesel for a test drive.

I think the car looks fantastic and drives beautifully, however, I have never spent this much on a car and I am slightly worried by all the problems that you have all seemed to have suffered from.

I currently have a Rover 75 which I bought from new five years ago and have driven 120,000 miles in without any real problems. In all that time I have had to replace the fuel pumps and the alternator.

I am thinking of buying the XF Premium Luxury 2.7 diesel in Vapour Grey with the Champagne/Truffle interior. For extras I was looking at getting the 19" Carelia alloys, Bi-xenon headlamps, rear parking camera, upgrading to the 440w audio system, adding the chrome vents and bodycare.

For this my dealer has quoted me £41,583.

I would welcome any comments on my decision to buy an XF, the colour and accessories I am considering etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Waylon said:
Hi All

I'm new here but have been reading your posts over the last few days and have taken an XF 2.7 diesel for a test drive.

I think the car looks fantastic and drives beautifully, however, I have never spent this much on a car and I am slightly worried by all the problems that you have all seemed to have suffered from.

I currently have a Rover 75 which I bought from new five years ago and have driven 120,000 miles in without any real problems. In all that time I have had to replace the fuel pumps and the alternator.

I am thinking of buying the XF Premium Luxury 2.7 diesel in Vapour Grey with the Champagne/Truffle interior. For extras I was looking at getting the 19" Carelia alloys, Bi-xenon headlamps, rear parking camera, upgrading to the 440w audio system, adding the chrome vents and bodycare.

The XF is the nicest car I have ever owned. The teething problems some of us have experienced are a bit annoying, but not serious. Once Jaguar sorts out the Sat Nav logic, the filler flap and fits new front window seals to early cars suffering from wind noise I'm sure everybody will be very happy. However, I've heard the new 3.0 litre diesel could be available next March. If so, and there is a three month waiting list I would wait for the new engine.

I would welcome any comments on my decision to buy an XF, the colour and accessories I am considering etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Waylon said:
Hi All

PS. I like you choice of colours!

Thanks.
The XF is the nicest car I have ever owned. The teething problems some of us have experienced are somewhat annoying, but not serious. Once Jaguar sorts out the Sat Nav logic, the filler flap and fits new front window seals to early cars suffering from wind noise I'm sure everybody will be very happy. However, I have heard the new 3.0 litre diesel might be available next March. If so, and if there is a three month waiting list I would wait for the new engine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi Waylon, i went for the 2.7pl with all your acc plus the B & W sound which in my mind is well worth the extra & .. a sun roof. i realise may not be too common, but i do enjoy driving with it open on a sunny day, really lets the light into the car.
colourwise, i think this is a very personal item & down to the individual... or his wife !!.
i went for Winter Gold & ivory seats .
also treated myself to the illuminated 'jaguar' treadplates... look so good at night.
hope that helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments.

Is there really a 3 month waiting list. I was told that if I ordered it this month it would be ready in October. Is he just having me on? :eek:

I did think about the illuminated tread plates but was quoted £480 for this which seemed to be rather a lot.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Waylon said:
Thanks for the comments.

Is there really a 3 month waiting list. I was told that if I ordered it this month it would be ready in October. Is he just having me on? :eek:
Honest - In this week's Autocar - Nearly 300 LR workers transferred to keep up with demand for the XF which has a waiting list of three months and an order book of 22000 vehicles..
Obviously some garages have unsold slots.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Waylon said:
Thanks for the comments.

I did think about the illuminated tread plates but was quoted £480 for this which seemed to be rather a lot.
Firstly let me say that you could have an entirely wrong view of any faults associated with the XF if you simply went on the reports of the "niggles" on this forum.
If you talk to the service manager at the dealership I am sure you will be told that in fact the car is very reliable generally; keep in mind that it shares a lot from the very reliable S Type. :)

As for the wait; well that may be so but it would not surprise me to discover that it would be delivered in a very short time indeed. Reports today that the car industry has suffered a more than 50% drop in orders in August, Jaguar along with other premium brands even more, would cause me to think that after the pipeline orders are cleared they will be very fast indeed out of the factory unless production is cut. Also, it might be possible to achieve a discount from the dealer because he will be suffering, no matter what he might tell you ;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Of course you should!!!!!!

Magnificent motor car, the best looking and, at least for the time being, most exclusive car of its type on the road.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the rear camera, as I have found the rear parking aid - standard on the PL - perfectly adequate.

If the sums are a bit alarming, you might also want to reconsider the B+W system unless you are an addicted sound hound. The upgraded system fitted to the PL blasts out more than enough for me - and for anyone else within 500 metres too.

Get your order in and brace yourself for total pleasure!

·
Registered
618 Posts
The 3.0 diesel is due for Autumn 09 apparently so it will be quite a wait and will not provide anything you cant get from a remapped 2.7

In terms of the issues reported bear in mind two things.....

Most of our cars were the first built so teething problems can be expected as with anything where you are an early adopter

The number of issues reported on a forum will look high but in the grand scale of the number of owners around it is not necessarily representative of the real picture. Lots of people come onto forums like this to vent their spleen when they have an issue

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Waylon,
Absolutely YES :!: :!: :!: The car is superb on the inside and out. Still catches peoples eyes. Mine is a 2.7D PL. My first car at this level also.

Just make sure you buy from a decent dealer though.

Over six months of pure driving pleasure. :D :D :D

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
Hi Waylon,
Absolutely YES :!: :!: :!: The car is superb on the inside and out. Still catches peoples eyes. Mine is a 2.7D PL. My first car at this level also.

Just make sure you buy from a decent dealer though.
Over six months of pure driving pleasure. :D :D :D
How on earth is he to discover that :?:

·
Registered
16 Posts
After owning one now for 4 months, It is the most amazing car both in looks and driving comfort and pleasure, Take heed that the early niggles are quite rare apart from the Sat Nav (maybe it's biased and what's to give you the best driving pleasure on B class roads instead of a motorway?). I had a 2.5 X-Type before and you can't even compare it to a XF in riding/driving pleasure.

I think so far apart from one time the filler cap would not open I have had no problems.

Once driven forever smitten.

eXtraordinary Fantastic

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was probably a daft question as obviously everyone on here thinks that the XF if fantastic.

Thanks for everyone's comments, I think I'm just after a bit of re-assurance before spending that amount of money.

I did take my wife and kids on a test drive on Saturday and they loved it too.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Waylon said:
It was probably a daft question as obviously everyone on here thinks that the XF if fantastic.

Thanks for everyone's comments, I think I'm just after a bit of re-assurance before spending that amount of money.I did take my wife and kids on a test drive on Saturday and they loved it too.
Just do it; you know it makes sense ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Waylon, I joined this forum after ordering my XF and becoming concerned about the 'niggles' that I kept reading about on here!
However I now have my XF (since 1st september) and yes I have a slightly wonky rear screen (but nothing too get excited about) but that apart I think it's the best car I have ever owned.
My advice would be to get on and do it but look carefully at the spec before you decide which version to buy. There were lots of things on the PL that i didnt really need and some things that I did want which were still 'options'. I costed up the basic car with the options I really wanted and found that I saved over £2.5k over a PL with similar 'must have options'. Might seem a bit cheap skate but why pay for things you dont really need. The option packs seem pretty good value.
good luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd say go for a mammoth test drive to make sure you are 100% happy, Don’t forget that when you drive it in a test you will inevitably have rose tinted specs on!,

Other than the dull performance and dodgy pickup at junctions or on the motorway I love the car, it drives well, and looks great.

Unfortunately the build quality of the first cars is not up to the Germans (I cant believe the comment that the rear screen is very raked hence you get distortion, my wife has a 1999 CLK which is just as raked and perfectly clear, so Mercedes managed it 10 years ago, come on Jaguar that a poor excuse).

So to sum up maybe wait until it has been in production for a year so that the little niggles are ironed out and probably by then they will have a decent diesel engine in terms of comparable performance.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
rclifford said:
I'd say go for a mammoth test drive to make sure you are 100% happy, Don’t forget that when you drive it in a test you will inevitably have rose tinted specs on!,

Other than the dull performance and dodgy pickup at junctions or on the motorway I love the car, it drives well, and looks great.

Unfortunately the build quality of the first cars is not up to the Germans (I cant believe the comment that the rear screen is very raked hence you get distortion, my wife has a 1999 CLK which is just as raked and perfectly clear, so Mercedes managed it 10 years ago, come on Jaguar that a poor excuse).

So to sum up maybe wait until it has been in production for a year so that the little niggles are ironed out and probably by then they will have a decent diesel engine in terms of comparable performance.
Jaguar did not make that excuse; the service department of the dealer did.
Moreover you are right not to believe the comment regarding the rake of the screen and the possible connection to distortion. If you read again the comment of sodgob, below, you will see that Jaguar have no need to take lessons from anyone. It is plain that the issue that presidentk and you have with the rear window is one either of perception or one that requires further work by the dealer. :)

sodgob said:
I had mine replaced last week, the initial screen did have a row of No's from memory ending in .... 0008.
the replacement has '.8 ' this is the only No. showing on it's own on the bottom line.
the screen is perfect.
hope that helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I toured all the car sales centres in Dubai, Merc, Audi, BMW etc etc and ended up in the Jag showroom (Al Tayer). The salesman was excellent. My wife and I had free reign to go over the car with a fine toothcomb on our own without the normal salesman hassle. Pure Bliss!! We were then offered a test drive, there and then. In fact we were given a 4.2 Premium Luxury for the whole afternoon. When we returned we ordered one immediately. The XF is the current headturner. But additionally the quality of finish and the ride is superb. My 4.2 goes like stink. Notwithstanding that, all the gadgets, normally added extras in the other cars above, are mainly standard. Go for it and join the exclusive Jag ownership club. :D

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Jules said:
I toured all the car sales centres in Dubai, Merc, Audi, BMW etc etc and ended up in the Jag showroom (Al Tayer). The salesman was excellent. My wife and I had free reign to go over the car with a fine toothcomb on our own without the normal salesman hassle. Pure Bliss!! We were then offered a test drive, there and then. In fact we were given a 4.2 Premium Luxury for the whole afternoon. When we returned we ordered one immediately. The XF is the current headturner. But additionally the quality of finish and the ride is superb. My 4.2 goes like stink. Notwithstanding that, all the gadgets, normally added extras in the other cars above, are mainly standard. Go for it and join the exclusive Jag ownership club. :D
Didn't realise you were in Dubai :lol: It would help if everyone added a location in their profile because sometimes stories seem to be just that, stories :!: It is impossible to imagine that the treatment you received in Dubai would be available here in the UK :eek:
P.S. Great story :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts