XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm very close to place an order for a 2.2 PL XF, benefiting from a "tax-free" program of the dealer Sturgess of Leicester.

I live in Portugal.

After some email exchange, the Export Sales manager said "Your Jaguar will be registered here in the UK, and therefore be given a UK registration number, plates, and Road Fund Licence disc. This will happen once you have arranged your own insurance.".

So, I would like to know if someone could help me on how to get an insurance for the new car, registered in the UK, with me living and working in Portugal. The insurance would be for a short period, just about 28 days, the time expected to re-register the car to Portuguese papers.

I've already tried to contact Jaguar insurance to the 0800 number, but didn't had any luck.

After reading some posts over insurance schemes in the UK, I find it very different from the ones in Portugal, for instance, over here, it is the car that is insured, so everyone can drive it, even burglars!!!

Could someone please help me:confused:.

Thanks
Marco

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Marco

I'll get Peter to contact you to try and assist you with this
Hello Sturgess,

Peter is assisting me on the process and being very helpfull. Gave me the number and address of a few insurance companies, but, unfortunately, no one has answered.

Thakns again
Marco

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Marco,

I'm trying to do the same and I think you can buy 1 year insurance here www.stuartcollins.com.
After you export your car (within 14 days), you can cancel the insurance and get most of the money back (if I understood the fineprint correctly).

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Marco,

I'm trying to do the same and I think you can buy 1 year insurance here www.stuartcollins.com.
After you export your car (within 14 days), you can cancel the insurance and get most of the money back (if I understood the fineprint correctly).
Hello DocTom

Thanks for the tip! I figured out that wasn't dialing the correct number of Jaguar Insurance. I'll wait until I get an answer an then, if its not possible, try Stuart Collins.

I prefer to insure with Jaguar because it "remains all in the same house" i.e. maybe things go faster!

Can´t wait to get my hands on the Jag. 14 weeks after the order is too long for my sanity (will have to start taking anxiolithics).

Marco

S

·
0 Posts
Hello DocTom

Thanks for the tip! I figured out that wasn't dialing the correct number of Jaguar Insurance. I'll wait until I get an answer an then, if its not possible, try Stuart Collins.

I prefer to insure with Jaguar because it "remains all in the same house" i.e. maybe things go faster!

Can´t wait to get my hands on the Jag. 14 weeks after the order is too long for my sanity (will have to start taking anxiolytics).

Marco
I took one the night before delivery...made no difference....We call it the Christmas Eve Syndrome!!!...Too excited to sleep

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I'm still strugling with this matter.

The dream is becoming a nightmare :(

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
It does sound like a nightmare ... only 14 days to go and no insurance ... hope it works out well.

I suppose if all else fails Sturgess could register it on their insurance, let you drive it over to Portugal and then you could register it there under your name with your insurance.
But I suppose that would mean the "first owner" is Sturgess and after reregistering it to you it would have a "second" owner already ..

G

·
0 Posts
Maps, at what point can you insure the car on your portuguese insurance policy?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does sound like a nightmare ... only 14 days to go and no insurance ... hope it works out well.

I suppose if all else fails Sturgess could register it on their insurance, let you drive it over to Portugal and then you could register it there under your name with your insurance.
But I suppose that would mean the "first owner" is Sturgess and after reregistering it to you it would have a "second" owner already ..
Since I'm benefiting from the VAT-free for tourists so Sturgess can't register the car in their name...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maps, at what point can you insure the car on your portuguese insurance policy?
I can only insure the car with portuguese insurance policy once it is registered and entered the legalization process in the Customs office. I only need the UK insurance to first register it and for the road trip to Portugal (it should be, maximum, 15 days).

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Marco,

Hi DocTom,

Unfortunately Stuart Collins aren't able to do my insurance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you asked stuartcollins for the short time insurance then they told you no, as they have told me.

But when I asked for a regular policy for a whole year, they said OK, and sent me a quote that would cost me 1500 pounds. In their Terms of Busines you can find the following text:

"You have the right to cancel your policy during a period of 14 days after the later of either the day of purchase of the contract or the day on which you receive your policy documentation. If you wish to do so and the insurance cover has not yet commenced, you will be entitled to a full refund of the premium paid. Alternatively if you wish to do so and the insurance cover has already commenced you will be entitled to a refund of the premium paid subject to a deduction for the time for which you have been covered. This will be calculated on a pro-rata basis for the period in which you received cover and will include an additional charge to cover the administrative cost of providing the policy. The administration charge and Legal Expenses premiums are non refundable. On cancellation of a breakdown policy, no deduction will be made from the premium until the policy has been live for 14 days, at which point there will be a pro-rata return of premium, less 25%."

So it seems that for around 100 pounds you can insure the car and after a week cancel the policy.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you asked stuartcollins for the short time insurance then they told you no, as they have told me.

But when I asked for a regular policy for a whole year, they said OK, and sent me a quote that would cost me 1500 pounds. In their Terms of Busines you can find the following text:

"You have the right to cancel your policy during a period of 14 days after the later of either the day of purchase of the contract or the day on which you receive your policy documentation. If you wish to do so and the insurance cover has not yet commenced, you will be entitled to a full refund of the premium paid. Alternatively if you wish to do so and the insurance cover has already commenced you will be entitled to a refund of the premium paid subject to a deduction for the time for which you have been covered. This will be calculated on a pro-rata basis for the period in which you received cover and will include an additional charge to cover the administrative cost of providing the policy. The administration charge and Legal Expenses premiums are non refundable. On cancellation of a breakdown policy, no deduction will be made from the premium until the policy has been live for 14 days, at which point there will be a pro-rata return of premium, less 25%."

So it seems that for around 100 pounds you can insure the car and after a week cancel the policy.
I didn't ask for short-term insurance, I asked for a normal third-party insurance and the answer was: "AFRAID NOT. REGARDS STUART".

Don't know why it isn't possible...

@Gemset, I've tried that already, but couldn't proceed with the quote because the car isn't registered yet - it has to be based in the chassis number first - so, I emailed them to the address shown in the bottom of the page, but never got a reply.

G

·
0 Posts
Maps, to test the Aviva site all you need is the chassis no./reg no. of an XF........any XF!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maps, to test the Aviva site all you need is the chassis no./reg no. of an XF........any XF!
The chassis no. is too long so the message from the site is "This is not a valid UK registration".

I contacted a broker specialized in insurances for expats and am now waiting for the paperwork. I sincerely hope this is it!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finnally got it!

Have just sended the policy to Sturgess so they can confirm everything is OK! The money should be getting there too, so - I hope - everything is on the good track :)

Feelling less stressed now ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts